Thread: World champion swimmer nearly drowns

Default World champion swimmer nearly drowns

This is amazing to me. I grew up in waterfront community and every kid learned to swim, race and then lifesaving technique.

The images in this article are striking.

Dramatic rescue at world championships after swimmer faints and sinks to bottom of pool

Anita Alvarez was the centre of a dramatic episode at the world swimming championships in Budapest on Wednesday when the artistic swimmer had to be rescued from the bottom of the pool by her coach after losing consciousness in the water.

American Alvarez had completed her solo free final at the World Aquatics Championships when she fainted and sank to the bottom of the pool. Andrea Fuentes, her coach, quickly realised something was amiss and dived in fully clothed to pull Alvarez up to the surface.

Alvarez, competing at her third world championships, was not breathing when Fuentes dragged her with some assistance to the side of the pool. The swimmer was taken from there to the pool’s medical centre, and Team USA later issued a statement saying she was doing well.

Fuentes said that despite the incident, Alvarez still hoped to compete in Friday’s team event.

“It was a big scare,” Fuentes was reported as saying by Spanish newspaper Marca. “I was scared because I saw she wasn’t breathing, but now she is doing very well.”

It is not the first time Alvarez has fainted in the pool, according to reports. A similar scene played out at an Olympic qualifier in Spain last year when a fully-clothed Fuentes again jumped into the pool to make a rescue.

At the time, Alvarez’s mother, Karen, said, “Unfortunately, I’ve seen it happen to her before.”

Spaniard Fuentes, a hugely successful former synchronised swimmer with four Olympic, 16 world championship and 11 European championship medals to her name, is the US’s senior national team head coach.

“She only had water in her lungs, once she started breathing again everything was OK,” said Fuentes. “It felt like a whole hour.

“She wasn’t breathing ... I went as quickly as I could, as if it were an Olympic final.”
    Dramatic rescue at world championships after swimmer faints and sinks to bottom of pool (msn.com)
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: World champion swimmer nearly drowns

Yep.

Extreme example, but not all drowning victims are out of shape, very old, very young, or non swimmers.

Thanks for sharing this.
    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

If this happened before this is improbably the best time to stop with the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    If this happened before this is improbably the best time to stop with the sport.
    K was thinking there may be some underlying condition that is causing her to faint. I winder if she has fainted outside the pool.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

I would wonder about a cardiac arrhythmia, but–"I would presume "she has undergone an extensive workup. Per usual, not enough information.

An aside–do not swim alone, in any waters that are not totally clear.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    K was thinking there may be some underlying condition that is causing her to faint. I winder if she has fainted outside the pool.
    Same here. Low blood pressure (a genetic trait that I have and have passed down) might do this. It doesn’t happen when driving a car because I’m sitting down but standing up suddenly can do it.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Same here. Low blood pressure (a genetic trait that I have and have passed down) might do this. It doesnít happen when driving a car because Iím sitting down but standing up suddenly can do it.
    It could be something as simple as being dehydrated, not eating enough, or even stress. If she hasn't had a full work up, she needs one.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Gotta remember to breathe,too.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Isn't there something about young in-shape people drowning for no obvious reason? It happened to a classmate in high school. He was an athlete and a good swimmer who dove into the local swimming hole and never came up. He didn't hit his head, and the water wasn't particularly cold. His heart stopped, we were told.

That reminds me that we couldn't re-enter the pool for an hour after eating, apparently for fear of cramps. I remember it was excruciating waiting for the hour to be up. I don't think people still do this; I certainly didn't with my kids.

I was working out with the swimming team, woke up after being hauled from the pool and being resuscitated. I was swimming using a butterfly stoke, and apparently inhaled a tiny drop of water that hit the back of my throat when I inhaled. It knocked me out cold, and I apparently I sank to the bottom of the pool and the lifeguard pulled me out. I think there is some kind of reflex action when you inhale water that does this, but don't know. Also don't know how I survived--one of four or five incidents in my lifetime where I could have been done in. Just lucky.

Since she sank, it makes me think she has very low body fat percentage.

Dramatic photos

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I learned something about this when a friend in a serious motorcycle crash was knocked unconscious and landed face down in a river. It was minutes before he was pulled out and miraculously he did not inhale water...

The "diving reflex" is different than the "gag reflex"

When the face is submerged and water fills the nostrils, sensory receptors sensitive to wetness within the nasal cavity and other areas of the face supplied by the fifth (V) cranial nerve (the trigeminal nerve) relay the information to the brain.[1] The tenth (X) cranial nerve, (the vagus nerve) – part of the autonomic nervous system – then produces bradycardia and other neural pathways elicit peripheral vasoconstriction, restricting blood from limbs and all organs to preserve blood and oxygen for the heart and the brain (and lungs), concentrating flow in a heart–brain circuit and allowing the animal to conserve oxygen.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_reflex

"Gag Reflex"
    can prevent breathing momentarily, but is a different reflex

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharyngeal_reflex

How long do champion synchronized swimmers stay under during their routine? It's possible for highly trained swimmers/divers to extend their breath-holding capacity so far that they can actually hold their breath until they pass out--they have blown off so much CO2 that there is not enough remaining in the blood to trigger the need to breathe. So, feeling no urge to breathe, they simply pass out.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I had a friend and classmate at school- really nice bloke called Philip. Great big quiet strong farm boy. When he wrote in his exercise book you could read the imprint through the next five pages. Move forwards twenty five years and he has a teenage son in the high school swimming carnival being held at the local pool. Just before his race the son tells the teacher he doesn't feel well. Teacher tells him it's only nerves and he'll be OK. Young feller swims almost the length of the pool and begins to slow down. Just touches the other end with his fingertips and slowly sinks under the water. Teacher dives in and grabs him, they lift him out and begin CPR. He can't be revived. Undiagnosed heart condition. My friend loses his only son, and some time after as a direct result his marriage and his farm. Sometimes life sucks. JayInOz