Thread: Does anyone have experience in charging the Horizon 870 VHF radio from 12VDC?

Default Does anyone have experience in charging the Horizon 870 VHF radio from 12VDC?

Hi, I have an older but so far very reliable Horizon 870 VHF GPS radio system. I am planning to use this again on the Salish 100 event coming up in July. Last year I used my single NiCad battery which I charged with the 110 VAC cradle where available. I also have the AAA battery pack which provides less power but is a good backup.

I was looking into 12 VDC power connections and charging options. I will be carrying a 12 VDC 33 aH gel cell battery (for bilge pump and USB) with plenty of capacity and would like to use this to charge the NiCad battery pack.

Has anyone done this from a 12 VDC power source? Seems like a simple connection, but just want to check before I drop $20 to get a compatible bare 12 VDC pigtail.

thanks for any advice or recommendations...

Default Re: Does anyone have experience in charging the Horizon 870 VHF radio from 12VDC?

Not the same model but I have a 12V charger for my handheld radio that plugs into a regular 12V socket.

A60A0256-296B-45D3-8E55-CBB26C8510B5.jpg

Default Re: Does anyone have experience in charging the Horizon 870 VHF radio from 12VDC?

Yes, my HX870 charges from a regulated 12 V converter hooked to a 26 V Li battery source. It uses the lighter plug cable and the charge cradle, and with an external antenna this is my base station. It all works fine so far.

Steven and Rgthom, thanks for replies. I am curious how you regulate the voltage from the 26 V power source.

Quote Originally Posted by timber_cruiser View Post
    Steven and Rgthom, thanks for replies. I am curious how you regulate the voltage from the 26 V power source.
    I got a buck regulator from Amazon. The one I used looks to be only 1 left, but there are many similar.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Rick

Thanks Rick!