Thread: Power tools

Default Power tools

What's going on?

I bought an Erbauer brushless drill/screwdriver a couple of years ago. It came with a charger and two 18V, 4Ahr batteries. It is the bomb. The batteries last ages, recharge quickly, and the unit is solid. The price was, I am certain, in the mid 80s. The sort of price I expect to pay.

Today, out for a late Father's Day present for myself - a Bosch router* - I saw the Erbauer range on sale. No deals at this store, but the charger was 50, the 4Ahr battery 40, the drill/screwdriver, bare, for 100. 230 for that?

Surely the ability to lock you in to a specific manufacturer's battery format should mean the prices are more like "what I paid" than this "outrageous dollop of apparent inflation"?

And - I've just checked some reviews - the recent versions appear to be a bit fall-aparty compared to mine.

Angry Andy from Airdrie

* The router? 80. Seems OK. Lovely action. I needed to shape my bathroom skirting board, which was done in three minutes, and is now shou sugi banned, polished, and going to look awesome once I can glue it to the walls. Job for tomorrow.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Default Re: Power tools

Quite a few of the manufacturers of power tools are in a "race to the bottom" on price, that inevitably leads to a drop in quality. I, for my sins as a machinery repair and maintenance technician occasionally was handed a box full of dead power tools with a request to " get as many of those going as you can".
    I got to the point where certain brands, Ryobi, Black and Decker, Skil among them, just went straight in the bin. Not worth fixing, and I'm sad to say that there are quite a few others that are no better.
    I've just ordered a new set of power tools for my own workshop, I'd like to have bought Fein or Festool, but could not quite justify that so its all Makita 18v. But the best quality power tool I own is a Rupes, sadly their range is almost entirely sanders, and I've two different ones of those. Both corded, both much more effective than most others, both incredibly durable.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

^ My Skil saw is 30 yrs old, still going strong.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

That 30 year old Skil saw has no relation to tools currently sold under that brand name.

The cordless tool kits are always cheaper than buying individual components. It’s a thing, especially with Makita to buy a kit when you need batteries then sell the tool on EBay and keep the batteries and charger.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    That 30 year old Skil saw has no relation to tools currently sold under that brand name.

The cordless tool kits are always cheaper than buying individual components. It’s a thing, especially with Makita to buy a kit when you need batteries then sell the tool on EBay and keep the batteries and charger.
    I got the local hardware store to talk to Makita, asked them to make up a "custom kit" that had the particular tools I wanted. No problem, do you want the carry bag and all? They threw in a tee shirt and hat, and the kit was significantly cheaper than buying all the bits separately.
    Very helpful people.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Excellent idea!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Quite a few of the manufacturers of power tools are in a "race to the bottom" on price, that inevitably leads to a drop in quality. I, for my sins as a machinery repair and maintenance technician occasionally was handed a box full of dead power tools with a request to " get as many of those going as you can".
    I got to the point where certain brands, Ryobi, Black and Decker, Skil among them, just went straight in the bin. Not worth fixing, and I'm sad to say that there are quite a few others that are no better.
    I've just ordered a new set of power tools for my own workshop, I'd like to have bought Fein or Festool, but could not quite justify that so its all Makita 18v. But the best quality power tool I own is a Rupes, sadly their range is almost entirely sanders, and I've two different ones of those. Both corded, both much more effective than most others, both incredibly durable.

John Welsford

Yup.

Portable power tool pecking order is, from my perspective, roughly:

- Festool/Fein/Mafell

- Milwaukee/Bosch (blue)/Makita

-Hitachi/Metabo/Bosch (green, non-existent in the USA)

- DeWalt

- everything else

- Ryobi

- Harbor Fright
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Yup.

Portable power tool pecking order is, from my perspective, roughly:

- Festool/Fein/Mafell

- Milwaukee/Bosch (blue)/Makita

-Hitachi/Metabo/Bosch (green, non-existent in the USA)

- DeWalt

- everything else

- Ryobi

- Harbor Fright
    Based on my experience with Ryobi and Bosch Green, I'd actually rank Bosch the worst of the two - more expensive, generally all round better built and nicer to use, but unreliable. I binned a (corded) bosch multi tool last year that maybe had two hours of actual operating time, open circuit motor windings. I have a bosch 18v drill that has done a bit of work, but right from day one, pulling the trigger and actually having the chuck turn has never been a sure thing. You can drive a few hundred screws no problem one day, and pull the trigger ten times before anything happens the next. The Ryobi stuff has at least kept going, even when its falling to bits.
    Makita all the way from now whenever anything else dies. It's cheaper in the long run. Except......
    The flimsy unbranded tracksaw I bought for one project has been a surprise - it has done a power of work since then, and continues to totally exceed my expectations.

Pete

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I've bought a ryobi handheld wet tile saw, died on the first day. Overheated after cutting along a four foot tile. The shop 'fixed' the saw by sending a new one. I've bought it specifically to cut sizes that aren't practical to hold on a table saw. Ended up cutting a 6' long tiles in 2' increments followed by 15-30 minute pauses. Absurd.
    Then again, other tools from Ryobi work ok. Definitely better than 'green' Bosch, which by now is atrocious.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

my ryobi sawsall had great power and feel but the nose piece that you secure the bade to snapped off in a week. Pot metal. So I got a Milwaukee of course. Love myna DeWalt skin saw skilsaw as much as my Makita magnesium which broke when it fell off the table (plastic part) My Porter Cable corded drill is 25 years old and still works, I mainly use it for mixing thinset. By far my favorite tool now is my 18V Milwaukee impact driver, super powerful and quiet
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

I have an old Craftsman saw that still works but isn't as powerful as it used to be. When I bought it it was one boy power, it gradually built to one man power, but now the power has declined to one old man power. Still works reliably, but cuts more slowly than it used to and stops for a few minutes during long cuts.

I have an old Craftsman saw that still works but isn't as powerful as it used to be. When I bought it it was one boy power, it gradually built to one man power, but now the power has declined to one old man power. Still works reliably, but just cuts more slowly and often stops for a few minutes during long cuts. Recharge time is quite slow now too.