Thread: Fewer Sail Track Slides

Default Fewer Sail Track Slides

I have my new sails, they're nice. One difference I didn't expect is that there are only about half as many slides as the original. The sail certainly goes up and down more easily. I am somewhat concerned that it will concentrate strain and may bend the track. Any relevant experience?

Default Re: Fewer Sail Track Slides

What's the spacing on each? Are the slides attached the same way? How about the luff construction and sail fabric?

Not a problem. The loads are supposed to be focused on the corners of the sail.
    -Dave

Exactly. Crank the halyard tight.

If a standard spacing exists, it is generally around 26", though it may be modified a bit as needed by the overall luff length, the height of the tack set-back (if there is one) etc. The original spacing in the old days was based on a common panel width for natural fiber sailcloth, to put most of the slugs or slides through the additional fabric thickness at the seams for strength. What sort of spacing are you looking at?

Thank you all. I didn't measure, but estimated the spacing at around 30", the original was close to 20", or less. Old ones were seized on through grommets, new ones stitched webbing through grommets. Both sails are dacron, the original a little heavier with an internal luff rope. The new ones are Challenge Marblehead, lovely stuff.

One thing you may notice is that the wider spacing gives you a wider "flake" and a shorter stack when you drop it onto your boom. Your sailcover may fit a bit differently.