Thread: Cordless sander recommendations

Default Cordless sander recommendations

Hi all...

I truly enjoy the results from my corded mirka sander, but there are times when cordless would be really valuable. I can't stand going back to my DeWalt. Does anyone have recommendations for a great cordless sander? Numerous battery platforms doesn't bother me.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Cordless sander recommendations

a sander....
    you mean a D.A.?
    My cordless De Walt is jusfine.if you have an old one, they have changed.the new 20 v jobbies are nice.
    i recon a bluetooth Festool would be better.
    Keep in mind, even a cordless DA will sand much better hooked to a vac. beyond keeping the place clean and healthy, the removal of sanding dust from the area being sanded causes the sander to sand the job and not the sanding dust
    or do ya mean a cordless disc sander ?
    or a cordless grinder ?

sophi32 is up to something unpleasant. Every one of their posts is copied verbatim from the internet:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ecommendations

I’d be interested to learn what the long game is for scams like this.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

eewwww, ya mean i got some ON me ???

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    eewwww, ya mean i got some ON me ???

Afraid so, Bruce. To release the kraken you must now build a traditional carvel boat with white oak ribs (steamed, not lammed), with a laid deck. Sorry, but it's the only way.

Jeff

I moderate another forum and a typical spam tactic is to post several harmless threads. This gets past limits to send PMs or post links.

I've just ordered a Makita 18v 125mm ( 5 in) random orbital, I'll come back and report when I've had a play with it.
    Note though that I have a corded Rupes high removal rate 150mm 550 watt ras, so the cordless one wont have to pull the hard work duty.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

This Mirka palm hand sander.

No cable. No motor weight at all - ultralight. No vibration. Excellent dust extraction through Abranet and a hose to a vacuum. Comfort hand grip. I use this more than anything else. I wouldn't want to refinish a boat with one or be rubbing down alot of epoxy fillets, but for prepping surfaces for coating, sanding wood etc...for construction...to avoid oversanding etc...they really are excellent. The rectangular pad gets in corners. About 20. SOme 120/240/400 abranet on a roll (or equivalent) and you're sorted.

This Makita dust extraction hose fits on the end perfect and the other end fits a standard Henry vaccum.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 07-06-2022 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    I've just ordered a Makita 18v 125mm ( 5 in) random orbital, I'll come back and report when I've had a play with it.
    Note though that I have a corded Rupes high removal rate 150mm 550 watt ras, so the cordless one wont have to pull the hard work duty.

John Welsford
    I picked it up today, along with five other Makita cordless tools, I'd had a very motley collection of power tools, they all use different batteries and most of them fairly worn or just tools I don't much like, so as I'm about to start outfitting a new workshop at my new home I sprung for a new set of tools.
    The little 125 mm ras 18v sander is a good tool, I'd not use it for the heavier, or paint removal work but as a finishing sander its very nice.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Forgive me for straying from the OP just a bit, but I’ve found this gadget extremely useful, and it’s only $10. Because the majority if my sanding is done with a 5” round RO sander, I’ve gotten into the habit of using the 5” round sandpaper for hand sanding. This gadget is a Velcro Block designed to fit the 5” papers. And it has changeable shapes on the bottom for various projects. I just finished sanding a bunch of bullnose trim, and the concave bottom helps prevent flat spots. No connection, just like it a lot. WoodCraft stores or Amazon.

0434496B-E71F-4D86-8B6E-432B897B2AC4.jpg

I have a 20V cordless DeWalt 5" random orbit which I like, but I wish it linked to a standard 1 1/4" vac hose more easily. I won't buy weird one-off vacuum components.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    I have a 20V cordless DeWalt 5" random orbit which I like, but I wish it linked to a standard 1 1/4" vac hose more easily. I won't buy weird one-off vacuum components.
    Dave, my vacs are older Feins with the older 1-1/4 gray hose that I much prefer to the newer ones. I found this hose at a local supplier that perfectly connects the vac hoses and both DeWalt and Festool 5 RO sanders. I just leave a short piece permanently on the sanders and the vac hoses tight fit right into it.

394AD2A3-6745-408E-AD29-55E9B3F013D5.jpeg

Super, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Super, thanks.
    I forgot to mention that the 20v DeWalt has a couple of fins in between the two concentric dust tubes that prevent a hose from sliding on. But a hole saw took care of those in about ten seconds.
    (I’d show pix, but that sander is down at the boat right now.)