Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Dow Jones

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    17,588

    Default Dow Jones

    Up almost 700 points.
    Will FOX report on that tonight?
    I highly doubt it.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    40,797

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Nasdaq is up 270 points
    It’s been a wild ride - I still lost my shirt in Crypto
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    17,588

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Nasdaq is up 270 points
    It’s been a wild ride - I still lost my shirt in Crypto
    I'm still losing my shirt with Tesla.
    But I'm in it for the long haul, so I will be patient.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    40,797

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I'm still losing my shirt with Tesla.
    But I'm in it for the long haul, so I will be patient.
    I invested in the CAR not the company and I’m WAY ahead
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ct.
    Posts
    2,959

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Up almost 700 points.
    Will FOX report on that tonight?
    I highly doubt it.
    Try FOX business, continuous updates.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    3,487

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    I'm in it for the long haul as well. My stock has lost 50% of its value from last November. I'm OK with that, since I'm still up more than 500% from my initial buy. Do I have any regrets? Hell yeah. Well, seriously? No.
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    40,797

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    Try FOX business, continuous updates.
    Hey pile since I don't have premium cable so I don't get FOX NEWS, CNN, MSNBC etc. did ANY Fox network cover the Jan 6th hearings ? Asking for a friend
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitty Hawk, NC
    Posts
    11,730

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by webishop14 View Post
    I'm in it for the long haul as well. My stock has lost 50% of its value from last November. I'm OK with that, since I'm still up more than 500% from my initial buy. Do I have any regrets? Hell yeah. Well, seriously? No.
    Good attitude to have.
    Life is complex.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15,696

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I invested in the CAR not the company and I’m WAY ahead
    What if you had bought a '59 Cadillac.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    10,851

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    What if you had bought a '59 Cadillac.
    A mate of mine bought a '68 Coupe De Ville about 15 years ago for not very much. He was blown away by the current valuation when he was re doing all his insurances.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    40,797

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    What if you had bought a '59 Cadillac.
    I had a 69 GTO it made it to 58,000 miles before it died on route 78 in NJ. I took the plates and all the registration off and hitchhiked back home. Yea I still wonder if I wasn't 22 years old and foolish how nice it would be to have that car in SoCal now.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    9,249

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I invested in the CAR not the company and I’m WAY ahead
    I didn’t invest in crypto so I guess I’m way ahead
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    40,797

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I didn’t invest in crypto so I guess I’m way ahead
    Yes yes you are

    Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 6.14.15 PM.jpg

    That said Tesla bounced back a bit today

    Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 6.15.47 PM.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitty Hawk, NC
    Posts
    11,730

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    ...
    Bitcoin has certainly been a good investment at various time. 5 years ago. But Tesla has also been a good investment at various times.
    Life is complex.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ct.
    Posts
    2,959

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Hey pile since I don't have premium cable so I don't get FOX NEWS, CNN, MSNBC etc. did ANY Fox network cover the Jan 6th hearings ? Asking for a friend
    Yes they did, most of yesterday, had to suffer thru it on way home from a great day on the water, BTW I don't have "premium" cable either, being a successful business man driving a luxury Tesla I thought you might have all the "premium" stuff.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Toulon FRANCE
    Posts
    1,307

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    I have a pretty heavy bunch of Nikola now. Bought them at average 6$ .
    I have to be patient ...
    But I catch up on Soitec (Euronext). I don't even understand what Cryptos can be.
    And I'm pretty happy with that...
    Gerard.
    SCHOONER FOR EVER, GOELETTE A PERPETE

    http://www.goelette-anthea.fr

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    17,588

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Dow jumps over 800 points today!
    Of course, the media only reports when it drops.....
    Bad news is good. Good news is boring.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitty Hawk, NC
    Posts
    11,730

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Dow jumps over 800 points today!
    Of course, the media only reports when it drops.....
    Bad news is good. Good news is boring.
    I take it as a suggestion that the rich are at risk of losing money rather than at risk of making money. Makes them more sympathetic.
    Life is complex.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    30,838

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    My investment guy says I am still beating the market by 3-4%. Cold comfort, considering how much I am down, but I guess ( hope? ) I will live long enough to see it crawl back up. If the market could correct from the abyss of 2008 in a relatively short time, I can hope ( I might add that when the market crashed in 1929, it wasn't until the early 1950s that it reached its previous peak. Wow. Which brings to mind John Maynard Keynes' famous observation that, in the long run, we are all dead ).
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

    Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kitty Hawk, NC
    Posts
    11,730

    Default Re: Dow Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    My investment guy says I am still beating the market by 3-4%. Cold comfort, considering how much I am down, but I guess ( hope? ) I will live long enough to see it crawl back up. If the market could correct from the abyss of 2008 in a relatively short time, I can hope ( I might add that when the market crashed in 1929, it wasn't until the early 1950s that it reached its previous peak. Wow. Which brings to mind John Maynard Keynes' famous observation that, in the long run, we are all dead ).
    A lot of poor math has been done to support opinions. Using the S&P500 index without including dividends is one dubious use. Another is to use short term stock market behavior to make long term decisions.

    Certainly the 30 years following 1929 were not as good as could have been, but 8% annualized returns of the S&P500 with dividends reinvested was not all that bad.

    One can look at the period between 1920 and 1929 - short term for the market. The market quadrupled - https://www.pbs.org/fmc/timeline/estockmktcrash.htm . Perhaps looking at a starting point prior to 1929 would give a more balanced view than starting at a peak.

    The S&P500 is up 57% since the start of 2019 - annualized 14%. Hardly anything to worry about. Even without reinvesting dividends the S&P500 is up 49% - 12.5% annualized.
    Life is complex.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •