Thread: these guys sure as hell ain't wearing shirts that read "i'd rather be fishing"

Default these guys sure as hell ain't wearing shirts that read "i'd rather be fishing"

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: these guys sure as hell ain't wearing shirts that read "i'd rather be fishing"

Woulda been a great marketing opportunity though eh?

Default Re: these guys sure as hell ain't wearing shirts that read "i'd rather be fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Is that Kosti Ruohomaa?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Is that Kosti Ruohomaa?
    i don't know
    it sure has the look

this is a kosti

Kosti.Monhegan.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 06-21-2022 at 02:23 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

As someone once said, "I'd rather be here wishing I was out there than out there wishing I was here!"

First you steam out, then you set two miles if heavy gill net. The next morning you haul those miles of net in by hand, you and your mates. Then it's back to Yarmouth where your wife guts them on the dock. Then you go out again..

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Woulda been a great marketing opportunity though eh?

They are all over it, Jay.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.08.43 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.13.47 AM.jpg

And, then some.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.11.30 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.13.13 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.15.19 AM.jpg

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

When I was a control room operator in a chemical plant they were re-roofing the building just across from where I sat all day in the air conditioning. Two older African-American guys were over there spreading hot tar and rocks on the that roof, and I would stand there and watch, thinking about how bloody hot it must be and how it must have been for those guys to have to do that kind of thing every freakin' day. I remember that from over thirty years ago. I always have. Every time I felt sorry for myself or whined about how hard I had it, I tried to recall watching those guys do that crappy job in the brutal heat.

Hardly anyone works as hard as their grandparents did these days. And that's a good thing. But it's also good to remember them.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I didn't see a single life jacket? I wonder what the mortality rate was.

Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    I didn't see a single life jacket? I wonder what the mortality rate was.
    When I lived in S Portugal, very few of the fisherman could swim and life jackets were never worn. Mostly passed around for the annual inspections. I watch a beach launch in surf one time, it went wrong and at least one of the guys drowned. Not unusual back then in the 70s.

When I was about 15 I read a book by a fellow called Nino Culotta about a year of his life spent fishing.It was written during the 1960's in Australia and I wish I could recall the title.His captain and mentor was quite disparaging about "anglers". You'd need to read the book to understand the distinction.