Thread: We got a wildfire

Default We got a wildfire

When you think wildfires, people automatically think of places out west. Dry grasses and trees and flames fueled by the hot Santa Anna winds.

Well, NJ decided it wanted in on the fun. Unofficially, they are saying this was started by a campfire, but there are no official rulings yet. The fire itself is about 20 miles from me, everything smells like smoke, and it is "snowing" ash.

https://www.nj.com/news/2022/06/huge...ens-blaze.html
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: We got a wildfire

11,000 acres? OK, that is a real wildfire. I thought you were in the part of the country we can all move to to escape climate change....

Have a plan. Watch the winds.

Fire mapping from satellite data is here:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov...:noaa20-viirs=[tsd],viirs=[tsd],modis_a=[tsd],modis_t=[tsd],country-outline;@-74.9,39.6,9z

If ash is falling you are downwind. Winds look light but 20 miles is not far if winds pick up. The satellite data only updates after a pass, a few times a day usually for both MODIS and VIIRS, so it is not fully up to date. What town are you in?

My favorite Wildfire, with a couple of very nice key changes. As for the other type, be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Fire mapping from satellite data is here:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov...:noaa20-viirs=[tsd],viirs=[tsd],modis_a=[tsd],modis_t=[tsd],country-outline;@-74.9,39.6,9z

If ash is falling you are downwind. Winds look light but 20 miles is not far if winds pick up. The satellite data only updates after a pass, a few times a day usually for both MODIS and VIIRS, so it is not fully up to date. What town are you in?

I am none too worried. It has three highways to hop and four towns to go through before it comes close to me. If you look on that map, there is a small red/yellow fire to the right and down from the actual forest fire. I am below that by a CM on that map.

NJ has a lot of water, that fire is straddling the Mullica and Batso rivers. Everything to the right of that map is pinelands and lightly developed till it reaches the coast. Directly below and slightly to the left is the town of Hammonton. I bet they are sweating bullets there right now.

What they are not telling you, is the Ghost town of Batso is in the middle of that. It's all restored as a state park. I know they are working hard to save it, I hope they can.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Sorry, but that song is about a horse.
    BTW: the Jersey Devil habitates those Pine Barrens. Hope the firefighters are safe.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND