Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Republicans go completely off the reservation

Default Re: Texas Republicans go completely off the reservation

As we prepare to celebrate Juneteenth, it seems somehow relevant to the values expressed by Texas above that Juneteenth is celebrated to mark the end of slavery in Galveston, TX, the last place in the United States to end that abhorrent practice.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    I have no doubt about the balance of cashflow between Texas and the federal government. What I'm wondering about is the Texas Republican Party's platform. Are they really adopting that list of crazy ideas?

edited to add: elf, the link didn't work for me and I didn't feel like signing in on the Texas Republicans' website.
    The link was to the platform document. PDFs sometimes take longer to load than ordinary web pages.

Yes. That's their platform. Follow the link to see the full details. No signin necessary.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

Thanks, Emily, that clarifies things.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    I have no doubt about the balance of cashflow between Texas and the federal government. What I'm wondering about is the Texas Republican Party's platform. Are they really adopting that list of crazy ideas?

edited to add: elf, the link didn't work for me and I didn't feel like signing in on the Texas Republicans' website.

Just think how much worse that cash flow would be without all the military bases and NASA in Houston? If Texas managed to succeed at seceding, they would quickly fall into the red. This is without them assuming any balance of the Federal Government's debt.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    JFC if this platform isn’t political suicide this country is a lot more effed up than I thought.

Separately, a party platform presented to convention delegates labeled homosexuality “an abnormal lifestyle choice.” According to the Texas Tribune, the platform also advocates for children to learn in school about “the humanity of the preborn child,” promoting new messaging after the state has taken steps to vastly restrict abortion.
    And less than a month after 19 children and two teachers were shot to death at a Texas elementary school, convention delegates adopted a formal “rebuke” of Sen. John Cornyn (R) for engaging in bipartisan gun control talks. Attendees also loudly booed him when he gave a convention speech Friday when he tried to explain potential legislation.

The rhetoric on gay rights in particular represents a reversal after years of growing comfort within the Republican Party with equal rights for gay Americans and polls showing large majorities of voters now support same-sex marriage while opposing discrimination.
    It comes amid a surge in hate speech and violence directed at LGBTQ people and a new push among staunch conservative circles to attack even the mere mention of sexuality as somehow “grooming” children.

The party also blocked the Log Cabin Republicans, a long-standing group representing gay Republicans, from having a booth at the convention, a decision that drew a rebuke from Donald Trump Jr., who said in a statement to Breitbart that it amounted to “canceling a group of gay conservatives who are standing in the breach with us.”

“We reject the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and we hold that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States,” the resolution continued.
    The move came days after the House committee investigating the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 outlined evidence showing that top campaign aides to Donald Trump and other members of his inner circle repeatedly told the former president that claims of fraud were false. But the Texas resolution shows how thoroughly Trump’s obsession with the election has become ingrained as a core belief for his party.
    It helps that the Republican Party is flat out telling folks what they’re about.
    Last edited by LeeG; 06-19-2022 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    JFC if this platform isn’t political suicide this country is a lot more effed up than I thought.

It helps that the Republican Party is flat out telling folks what they’re about.
    yep, they took their hoods off.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

If you didn't realize it was this f'ed up, you weren't paying attention.

And other things, too.

dude, do you think that tennessee's republican party platform will be any different?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    If you didn't realize it was this f'ed up, you weren't paying attention.
    pretty much..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    dude, do you think that tennessee's republican party platform will be any different?
    the same.

as in way too many other states.

The masks are off, they want their religious hell.

Texas, trying their best to make Alabama look good.

-Dalai Lama

They should try it. Put it to a vote and see what the results are: either you are with us or agin' us, and if you don't want to be a part of this democracy, go do whatever it is you wish to do.

I think it'd be interesting. And I am only partially kidding.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Let them go. Let them become their own independent country. No more federal support of any kind.
    See how they like that.
    They are off to a good start, they already have their own grid, and I believe if you work in the school system you don't get Social Security you get some Texas form of Social Security.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Far right Christian Taliban.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

So if they go can we now agree to build a wall? Even make them pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Brexit has taught me never to under estimate the stupidity, credulity, dishonesty and cruelty of my fellow citizens. Yours may not be very different.
    "...MAY NOT BE..." ????? I should think by now the similarities should be glaringly obvious.
    He was one of the most supremely stupid men I have ever met. He taught me a great deal.

You gotta wonder whether they understand how their state government works.

And other things, too.

A big storm on the gulf coast would be a great opportunity for them to learn about shopping the world for financial assistance. Could create some very problematic international alliances on this continent.

And other things, too.

This is when I wish I knew how to do a polll…

We could find out if our Texas rats are staying or going.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Texit ??

I can't wait . .

Though I am aware of the many millions of great progressives who abide there.

It could almost wind up being a mass exchange of populations on the order of what took place when India and Pakistan split.

Once again I'm reminded to be grateful for living in a country where the wackos are only moderately wacky and also rather few.
    /Erik

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)