Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Mead

Default Re: Lake Mead

Seattle went back and forth for a bit but I think the county stepped in and now it's legal but it must be used onsite. I think the idea is slowing the process down doesn't change it.

As a matter of interest, in Italy which is also in drought, the Po has dried up in sections

NPR had a story on water in the area a few days ago & they said residential use is less than 30% of the total - most is agriculture. According to them, you could eliminate 100% of the residential use & the ag use alone would be unsustainable in the current drought conditions.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    NPR had a story on water in the area a few days ago & they said residential use is less than 30% of the total - most is agriculture. According to them, you could eliminate 100% of the residential use & the ag use alone would be unsustainable in the current drought conditions.
    Maybe the gov’t could support unsustainable agribusiness just as it encourages unsustainable fossil fuel consumption. When faced with challenges just double down on the same system.

Parts of your country and mine are basicly unsuitable for the kind of agriculture that is practiced on them without a supplimentary water supply. In both to cases the use of ground water, mining the fossil bank, has to be carefully managed as actual rainfall lessens and demand increases. It may well be that some agricultural ventures take more of the resource than their product benefit. Almonds being a case in point.
    There is a cyclical occurrance of droughts in the US Sth West, we have talked of it here before. Here is a 1200 year view of cyclical droughts in the area.
    https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0911197107
    Australia has been drying out for at least 60,000 years and it continues. Parts of the continent are barely habitable by humans now, and sans AC etc. may not be in the future.
    It's climate change, cyclical maybe but boosted by human mining of the fossil bank for coal and oil, and there are obviously consequences. We may not like them, but they are there, and we'd better get a move on with adaption while we still have some choices.

It'a a long read but digestable and interesting. Any comparison with historic conditions should take into account the radically different land cover and water use and increased populations and their demands.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-23-2022 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Maybe the gov’t could support unsustainable agribusiness just as it encourages unsustainable fossil fuel consumption. When faced with challenges just double down on the same system.
    The US gov't has been supporting unsustainable farming & corporate farms over family farms since at least the New Deal. Far worse than a 3 month tax holiday IMO
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    The US gov't has been supporting unsustainable farming & corporate farms over family farms since at least the New Deal. Far worse than a 3 month tax holiday IMO
    More than that, I had a native American woman explain to me how Lake Mead destroyed the native communities further downstream.

I also had a water lawyer explain to me how water is the number 1 source of strife in the Middle East.

Water policy is possibly the most political subject in our society and it goes largely unnoticed. As climate change continues, it will be unnoticed no more.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

This is Oroville, not Meade but a stunning picture nonetheless:

Houseboats sit in a narrow section of water in depleted Lake Oroville in California in September 2021. The state’s second-largest reservoir is now at just 55% of its total capacity. Photograph: Josh Edelson/AFP/Getty Images

Note, this was taken last September. I visited family donw in the Central Coast area a few weeks ago, the difference between our miserably wet but lush PNW and down there was stark.

ETA: I guess the Guardian won't let me link the picture, here is the article https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...s-water-levels
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    That's how it was here in our biggest city until the drought only 3 years or so ago. You know, when that guy got paid 800k per year to not supply water to Auckland.
    The ostensible logic being that wastewater charges were based off household water usage so well, we can't have that now.
    Yes, the back room pressure on him to head to greener, (probably irrigated) pastures was pretty intense.
    That was a good thing.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

"Officials at the State Water Project announced earlier this year that it would only be able to provide 5% of requested water supplies to its contractors. The federal project, meanwhile, announced it wouldn’t be providing any water to the state’s agricultural belt, and that cities would be allocated only 25% of their historical water use."

Things are going to get nasty