Thread: Silicone Roof Coating to solve deck and pilot house leaks?

Default Silicone Roof Coating to solve deck and pilot house leaks?

My friend is a roofer and swears that if i put down a silicone roof system - a layer of primer, a layer of silicone coating, repeated the process a second time, that it would be plenty flexible and hold up a long time. He feels sure he could waterproof a a planked deck with this system and that it would stay water tight for a very long time…

Thoughts?

Default Re: Silicone Roof Coating to solve deck and pilot house leaks?

Contact the manufacturers and inquire how long the system lasts. Also ask how you remove it. Generally speaking, silicone is known to be poison to boat maintenance. Always remember the adage: Houses are badly built boats put hard aground.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Once in a time some wonder goo apears. Funny thing, it never lasts.

I used silicone on a small flat roof a few years ago because my research said it was the best fluid-applied roofing available. This was for a picky customer who would have called me if there was a problem, so I believe it has held up well.

A couple of points:
    First, all seams need to be taped on the (Gaco) product I used, so better for something like plywood than for planks. Maybe if the seams are very tight and never move the tape could be skipped?
    Second, generally speaking, nothing sticks to silicone except more silicone, so you or the future owners might be cursing when it's time to recoat with something else.

I can't remember how slippery the silicone was or if granules can be mixed in, but it's not very tough and wouldn't hold up on a surface that needed to be walked on frequently.

I don't disagree with your roofer friend, but would avoid it on a boat for the above reasons.

If you had ever had to deal with the effect that silicone contamination has when you need to paint or re-varnish something on a boat, you would likely never want anything containing it anywhere near your boat again.

Exactly. You don't want to be in the same room with any silicone when refinishing anything. IMO

As said by several others, try painting or varnishing anywhere near the stuff. I had some wonderful flame figured honduras mahogany (countertops out of an old bank) & made some sidebenches for a big open boat, upon varnishing it, i had loads of fisheyes, i had to strip the varnish & sand heavily twice before i got it under control, it was still giving the occasional fish eye years later. I suspect in its time in the bank someone had sprayed it with silicone polish.
    It is a pig to get rid of.
    An aside to this a car sprayer i knew was working in a spray shop when an ex employee who had been sacked sprayed a good squirt of silicone polish into the air intake of the spray booth, the car they were spraying had to be redone twice & ended up a write off.

A residential roofing system that is intended for aggressive and constant walking (etc) on? That sounds a bit “unusual”.