Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Boat Show EBS

Default Re: Post Boat Show EBS

rob with a dadbod tee shirt.

kids these days. who can keep up with all the levels of irony.

Default Post Boat Show EBS

I am so jealous of this get together. Wish I was not committed to the job in Greece at the time.
    Looks like a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Imagine that . . . Rob in New England.

...and Long Island, we driv 'im all over.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    rob with a dadbod tee shirt.

kids these days. who can keep up with all the levels of irony.

It's true, you do need to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I am so jealous of this get together. Wish I was not committed to the job in Greece at the time.
    Looks like a great time.

We would have loved to have had you here, Tom.

So now lets look at some more old boats, this time at the Long Island Maritime Museum, which was Mondays field trip. How do you like this sweet old thing? It's a bay boat of the Great South Bay, made for bay chartering and just general having fun. I learned to tong clams on a boat similar to this one, the old Traveller. What a world it must have been to have had such boats as commonplace.

Here she is again, with an old tong boat alongside. Right about here we all stood in a line and mumbled a few verses of "drunken sailor" and some of us allowed as to how we were living in the wrong time. Then we took some pictures and texted a bit.

Here's that old tong boat again. Back in the Seventies all the boat yards had a row of boats just like this in the tall grass in the back of the field. Then they didn't.

Turn around and see what the shore once looked like, all salt marsh and not much of anything else. They charged us a dollar and a half just to see it.

An IYRS trained couple in Woods Hole is restoring one of them they bought for 3 Grand from a guy in Patchoque. One of them works for Gannon and Benjamin and grew up in Medford.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

89173908-BEE8-4251-9CEE-9AFAA52B967E.jpg
    This probably belongs on this thread? Iíll just flood the place with scribbles.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    An IYRS trained couple in Woods Hole is restoring one of them they bought for 3 Grand from a guy in Patchoque. One of them works for Gannon and Benjamin and grew up in Medford.
    Have you got a picture of it, Emily? It's too bad you couldn't make it but we did enjoy your posts on the various threads.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I’ll just flood the place with scribbles.
    Scribble away, Dadbod.

A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

89173908-BEE8-4251-9CEE-9AFAA52B967E.jpg
    This probably belongs on this thread? I’ll just flood the place with scribbles.
    You left Jim out!

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    Have you got a picture of it, Emily? It's too bad you couldn't make it but we did enjoy your posts on the various threads.
    The boat's on the Vineyard. It's got a ways to go. Got worms in the horn timber. The kids have a lot of pix. We saw them last night st the talk.

And other things, too.

If you and Tracey choose to do that again, I will make a point of it!

Thatís just Lew showing that it ainít easy to be green.

I noticed the car in the North parking lot, but was apparently so distracted that I missed him limping away!
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

If that's a royal Lowell boat, Emily, it was probably built in Maine. From the look of the boat in the link it's a dredge boat, used by companies with private bay bottom. On one side would have been a sort of ramp arrangement that lowers to the bottom with a conveyor belt bringing up the clams and bottom debris. This was sorted in the big house as it went by and the junk sent back overboard. You could make a nice cruiser out of it.

I think it was a tonk boat. Had differential damage on the side where the clams were brought up. It's original name was Special K. Belonged to someone first name Karl in Patchogue. Built by Royal Lowell for him. Passed through at least 4 hands before the kids bought it. They got it from someone in Sayville who rented it out to a movie production company 10 years ago. Sat in his back yard after that until the kids found it.

The kids are going to use it for summer quarters in Woods Hole. They have a sloop they live on now there. And a couple beetle cats. She gave a presentation at CBA the year you did.

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    I think it was a tong boat. Had differential damage on the side where the clams were brought up. It's original name was Special K. Belonged to someone first name Karl in Patchogue. Built by Royal Lowell for him. Passed through at least 4 hands before the kids bought it. They got it from someone in Sayville who rented it out to a movie production company 10 years ago. Sat in his back yard after that until the kids found it.

If it had damage to only one side it might have been a dredge boat. Hand tonging doesn't damage the topsides unless you're really clumsy That said, it might have had a lot of additions over the years. The two cabins are quite out of character, as are the railing and bulwarks. The swinging boom is not a feature I've ever seen. Tongers might have had some bulwark forward, but definitely not in the working area, from the front of the deck hatch all the way around, including across the transom. A very low toe rail was the usual thing. You could work with your toes on the rail and there was little in the way when you washed the deck. Once you remove all that stuff you're left with a quite attractive low hull, looking quite the part.

I'd be interested to know the history of the boat. It might have been converted to a dredger later on, which might explain some of the features.

Well, we heard about all the modifications, that's for sure. They took everything off it, stripped it down to a hull and went from there to imagining just how they wanted it to look once they repaired all the mess down below. At this point, they're still sistering frames, don't even have what remains of the keel back in it yet. Apparently it was originally nearly flat on the deck, so the stuff above the basic profile was all added over the many years. I'm not sure they're even keeping the crane, although they're still thinking about just how useful that could turn out to be.

In any event, in a couple years they will have resolved all that and it will go in the water so they can live on it in the summer.

They seem to think they've found all the previous owners who are still alive, and showed us photos of its various configurations over the 50 years of its life. Met people who worked it, relatives of people who owned it. They're having fun.

And other things, too.

Very cool, Emily. If you find any more pictures I'd love to see them. Nice project, thanks!

What are the dimensions of that boat? It looks like it would be a pretty big tong boat. I think Jorgenson built one around 41' or so and that was about the biggest tong boat around. Most were high 20's to mid 30' on deck. There were a number of converted Higgins landing craft once upon a time and at 36' were generally among the larger ones. Many west end boats might only be in the mid 20's.

The EBS at Ledger's and LIMM was great! Got to have an actual conversation with a few forumites that I had only met briefly once or twice and got to meet a few that were previously only names on a screen.

I texted one of them to see whether they might put the project upstairs here.

And other things, too.

78497F6B-DDE8-4DA4-9B1D-A6D33D518390.jpg
    Maybe the best picture I took? Rain in the summer time was wild enough, for me. The Lotus was insane. And, hell NO I didnít drive it. Riding in it was nerve wracking enough. (Lew is not afraid to push on the little pedals!)

Great pics. Kat had to work and stayed in AZ?
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

DDC66178-B1C4-44F2-97D0-F5AB39F6FDB7.jpg
    The portal to the catboat. Nifty fishing implements are scattered about the premises.

9F42D2CD-88E2-4E89-AFF8-A25D7CC6A901.jpg
    This one got me. The rudder for the cat in the drive, and the cat a-building. One is an actual door!

Maybe the best picture I took? Rain in the summer time was wild enough, for me. The Lotus was insane. And, hell NO I didnít drive it. Riding in it was nerve wracking enough. (Lew is not afraid to push on the little pedals!)
    Hey Jim. How many bd. ft. of black locust do you think your new rig can haul?

It was super cool to meet you, too holzbt! I always worry that Iím a bit much, and off putting. It was great learning about the area and boats from you, Man.

9F42D2CD-88E2-4E89-AFF8-A25D7CC6A901.jpg
    This one got me. The rudder for the cat in the drive, and the cat a-building. One is an actual door!
    Big cats need big rudders.

And other things, too.

Yes, and photos often do a poor job of showing the true scale of things. The catboat a-build is massive, and I was trying to convey the scale for those who’ve only seen it on the thread.

Photos do the project no justice at all; they don’t convey the quality of the wood, the quality of the build, or the real size of the thing.

It is overwhelming in all the best ways.

Put an object of commonly known size in the photo. I think the shovel does just fine.

And other things, too.

Gee, Rob - just how many extra hinges did you have to put in your legs and back, just to get in and out of that car ? ? ? ?

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Love seeing the photos, well done.

I wish I had taken more pictures at the museum in Long Island (on Long Island?). It was a lovely place, and there were more than a few absolutely stunning boats there.

On...

And other things, too.

I wish I had taken more pictures at the museum in Long Island (on Long Island?). It was a lovely place, and there were more than a few absolutely stunning boats there.

Here's one that Tracey took in the upstairs of the boat shop. I'm seeing some cordage, a few molds and a couple of models, stuff that everybody here likes...

Happy for all of you that could make it. Looks like a great time. Envious, of course!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)