Page 1 of 9 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain the hatred of science?

Default Can someone explain the hatred of science?

I tell a RWW that humans evolved from monkeys, and they hate me for it and claim it is unproven.

I tell a LWW that humans, having evolved from monkeys, display many of the same basic instincts, and they hate me for it and claim it is unproven.

Is it because science punctures ideologies with equal neutrality? The right, I think, hates evolution mostly as a way to discredit science where it matters, like climate change. The left particularly hates evolutionary psychology, because it shows how futile are their modern versions of the "new Soviet man" dream. They also hate genetics, for similar reasons.

The right worships God, and the left worships Man. Science has unpleasant truths to tell about both.

Default Re: Can someone explain the hatred of science?

ah, nice. more intellectual onanism.

first rule of science, if you can't show your work, you're not doing it.

^
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The 'blank slate' is surprisingly persistent, even among those who really ought to know better.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    The 'blank slate' is surprisingly persistent, even among those who really ought to know better.
    your characterization is unearned. just like george's self congratulation.

Damn, Mr Baxter, who peed in your coffee? Some of us suggest that an aversion to gay sex might be hard-wired among straight folks, and you have a fit. I suggest you reserve your ire for fundamentalists and those who actually want to treat gay people badly.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 06-18-2022 at 10:57 AM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

people saying ugly things, and projecting ugly things on others, claiming to be in the service of truth, are frequently just propagating ugliness.

for whatever reason they may have.

you guys drawing a dividing line between your emotional and intellectual state are fooling yourselves. talk about your "blank slate" fallacy. you think your intellect is somehow seperable from the emotions you indulge?

Homocentrism. Reason can be applied to anything, including man himself, and if one forbids that, reason demands that one have a reason. The reason for the forbidding of reason being turned on man is that to do so threatens a priori assumptions, ideologies, religions, etc. which are the basis of one's identity. A challenge to one's identity is a threat. You might as well chop off someone's arm as chop off part of their identity. They hate reason itself, not just science, because it threatens the integrity of the organism even if it's "only" a threat to individual psychology. It's perceived as a threat to the organism. Causes pain and alarm, which grows into hate. One found comfort in one's fellow believers, and now is obliged to reject that, and very likely pay a heavy social price; then find a replacement comfort either in a new group of fellow believers -- surely not those whom one has spent a lifetime learnint to regard as the enemy -- or who knows where, or how, or what. The entire understanding of one's being, and whatever security it can give, is yanked out from under.

Evolution surely stands first among the "outrages upon our naive self love" that Freud identified as the cachet of all truly great scientific revolutions. I don't mean to downplay the mental adjusment required by the two other revolutions that Freud specified as paramount: changing our abode from the immobile center of a limited universe to a small peripheral hunk of rock subordinate to one star among billions, and altering our view of mind from a logical and moral instrument to a largely nonrational device buffeted or controlled by an "unconscious." Still, no demotion of hope can quite match the cancellation of our "particular privilege of having been specially created" (in God's image, no less) and our consequent "relegation to descent from the animal world."

Evolution therefore entered Western consciousness as the most threatening of all new ideas to our most fundamental social assumption and psychological hope for human uniqueness and centrality.

Stephen Jay Gould, "The Power of This View of Life", Natural History July 1994.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Damn, Mr Baxter, who peed in your coffee? Some of us suggest that an aversion to gay sex might be hard-wired among strait folks, and you have a fit. I suggest you reserve your ire for fundamentalists and those who actually want to treat gay people badly.
    that's not what you suggested. you do love to shade and water down.

but whatever. your classification "strait folks" is, itself, part of the moral fabric you've been raised in. a moral fabric that drives you emotionally, that is the very ground of sexual bigotry.

human sexuality is way bigger, more fluid, more complex, and more interesting than you and i were shamed into believing, and feeling.

As I said, I have a fairly strong aversion to eating beets. It appears to be hard-wired, not learned. I don't hate beets, I don't think they should be banned, I haven't the slightest objection to anyone else eating beets, I'm not going to make 'beets are an abomination' a tenet of my religion, and I think anyone who feels similarly but does these things is at best dead wrong. You appear to be engaged in a mighty struggle to the death with a straw man of your own creation.

No, sexual attraction is not only binary, not just 'gay' and 'straight', not even close. Yet a large majority of human beings really are attracted almost entirely to those with a different set of chromosomes; this is not a social construct, but an objective fact, which is true in every culture and time.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 06-18-2022 at 11:06 AM.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    I tell a RWW that humans evolved from monkeys, and they hate me for it and claim it is unproven.

I tell a LWW that humans, having evolved from monkeys, display many of the same basic instincts, and they hate me for it and claim it is unproven.

Is it because science punctures ideologies with equal neutrality? The right, I think, hates evolution mostly as a way to discredit science where it matters, like climate change. The left particularly hates evolutionary psychology, because it shows how futile are their modern versions of the "new Soviet man" dream. They also hate genetics, for similar reasons.

The right worships God, and the left worships Man. Science has unpleasant truths to tell about both.
    I believe in science.

Science has produced pretty good computer programs that can out think most of us.

Science has produced artificial organs. And really nasty viruses.

I can imagine a god like civilization that could produce humans from whole cloth as it were. I might even start with monkeys or other similar projects. But I will let the user select the path.

I can imagine science sending a ship into space with sufficient materials to create life by whatever means chosen.

god, magic, science. Same side of the coin. You claim science. I claim god. Or magic.
    Life is complex.

As I said, I have a fairly strong aversion to eating beets. It appears to be hard-wired, not learned. I don't hate beets, I don't think they should be banned, I haven't the slightest objection to anyone else eating beets, I'm not going to make 'beets are an abomination' a tenet of my religion, and I think anyone who feels similarly but does these things is at best dead wrong. You appear to be engaged in a mighty struggle to the death with a straw man of your own creation.

No, sexual attraction is not only binary, not just 'gay' and 'straight', not even close. Yet a large majority of human beings really are attracted almost entirely to those with a different set of chromosomes; this is not a social construct, but an objective fact, which is true in every culture and time.
    keith, if your son (or foster son) grew up to be gay, would you go out of your way to tell him about your "disgust reaction" for his sexual behavior?

or would you do the right and decent thing, and cram it.

this entire line of reasoning, smeared across multiple threads, is beneath the dignity of this company.

think about what it serves. and make sure you are right.

I don't eat beets either. They are too sweet to be a part of the savory course in the meal. I don't smother food with ketchup for that same reason. OTH some cooked milk dishes and the mouth feel of trifle triggers a gag reflex. Now that must be hard wired.

If you read the Wiki that George hoped would support his premise, you will know that there are three sorts of aversion, two hard-wired, one cultural.
    • Aversion to rotten food.
    • Aversion to mating with the diseased or grotesque.
    • Aversion to gay or oral sex (and bestiality).

I am confident that you can figure out which two are hard-wired.

in all of these discussions, i have not betrayed by a single word my emotional reaction to gay sexual activity, or my own preferences even. this is by design.

and it is not because i "hate science". you guys are not doing science, or referencing science. you are trafficking in hurtful, alienating garbage. perpetuating a poisoned social fabric, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    in all of these discussions, i have not betrayed by a single word my emotional reaction to gay sexual activity, or my own preferences even. this is by design.

and it is not because i "hate science". you guys are not doing science, or referencing science. you are trafficking in hurtful, alienating garbage. perpetuating a poisoned social fabric, that is all.
    Hey.

Have a care when throwing "you guys" around if you please.

in all of these discussions, i have not betrayed by a single word my emotional reaction to gay sexual activity
    If you say so...

first rule of science, if you can't show your work, you're not doing it.
    Excluding Schrödinger's cat, of course.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

beneath the dignity of this company.

……

Here is one that will upset some here even more: we are born with racist tendencies.

https://media.utoronto.ca/media-rele...f-other-races/

these findings suggest that a race-based bias emerges without experience with other-race individuals

Hatred? No. Ignorance…?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Here is one that will upset some here even more: we are born with racist tendencies.
    Rubbish. Infants look for their parents. Their parents are the same race as themselves. If they are adopted outside their race, they will look for the race of their parents because they are looking for their parents.

You and that article make more of it than it is.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

If you say so...
    more onanism. you do your own comic relief. the periodic inane smarmy face.

tell the class what you "know".

use sciency words, and be sure to congratulate yourself.

we are born with racist tendencies.
    whatcha talkin bout willis
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Rubbish. Infants look for their parents.
    They are born to their parents. They instinctively look for people who look like their parents. Innate and pre-determined, unless you come up with a way to switch the race of the parents every few days.

I love beets
    boiled, pickled, sliced, cubed or especially julienned, give me a beet salad with butter lettuce, goat cheese, some candied walnuts, balsamic vinegar dressing and I'm a very happy man...

They are born to their parents. They instinctively look for people who look like their parents. Innate and pre-determined, unless you come up with a way to switch the race of the parents every few days.
    You have a nasty habit of repeating what I said as if I were wrong.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I love beets
    boiled, pickled, sliced, cubed or especially julienned, give me a beet salad with butter lettuce, goat cheese, some candied walnuts, balsamic vinegar dressing and I'm a very happy man...
    Great! You can have them all.

Richard Feynman

You have a nasty habit of repeating what I said as if I were wrong.
    And here I was trying to agree with you...

If reason and logic are located on The Yardstick Of All Human Reactions, they're found only between 17 1/2 and 18 1/2".

The remainder is all emotions and hormones.

And here I was trying to agree with you...
    Please try harder. Include the word "yes" someplace.

Please try harder. Include the word "yes" someplace.
    Yes, I will.

I drank beet juice , the next day i had explosive diarrhea, all red ( sorry ) , well i thought i had stomach cancer. Then i remembered the beet juice. Never again.

more onanism. you do your own comic relief. the periodic inane smarmy face.

tell the class what you "know".

use sciency words, and be sure to congratulate yourself.
    Im glad you are not picking on me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Im glad you are not picking on me.
    Because he uses sciency words like onanism?

(insert periodic inane smarmy face)

Do goats eat beets?