Crazy things/ re thickness of Shavings.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Meachen
    • Jan 2004

Re: Crazy things/ re thickness of Shavings.

I once had a tin basher ask me how thick a shaving was.I was using a sharp block plane at the time and told him 3 1/2 thou-a couple of minutes later he came back to tell me I was right.It didn't matter that much as I still had to push the plane enough times to get down to the marked line.

Comment

• David W Pratt
      • May 2005

Very interesting thread. Of course, many more questions spring to mind: Does the type of wood matter? Moisture content? Given that each pass must dull the blade, what is the optimum thickness shaving for doing actual work?

Comment

• Chippie
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by David W Pratt
        Very interesting thread. Of course, many more questions spring to mind: Does the type of wood matter? Moisture content? Given that each pass must dull the blade, what is the optimum thickness shaving for doing actual work?
        There isn't an optimum, that is ONE of the reasons you can adjust the depth of cut.

Comment

• Jim Ledger
          • Nov 2006

Let me explain just how I ended up measuring the thickness of shavings with a digital caliper.

Here's the problem...carvel planking, you scribe a plank to the one either above or below it, take a few bevels, cut the plank and plane the edge as best you can, so far, so good. Then, you clamp the plank in place, which can be a bit of work. Let's say you did your work well and the plank is touching in a number of spots, but in others it's showing gaps of up to a sixteenth.

The idea is to be able to mark the plank for further planing, with the intention of getting a good fit in one go. The problem is that the gap varies in width, so more material needs to be removed in some spots than others. How can this be measured? Then, how can this be marked on the plank, so that when the plank is back on the bench you can cut with confidence. Further, what you really want to avoid is planing away wood where it should have been left, because that puts you right back in the same place as when you started.

In the photo below is a plank being fitted as described. There are bits of masking tape stuck here and there, and if you look close you can see a feeler gauge stuck between the planks. The gauge is measuring the gap and the tape indicates the limits of any given gap.

Here's a closer view of the tape markings. The feeler gauge is fetching up at the end of a six thou gap. The material between the marks need to have six thou removed. The gauge can be change to measure different gap widths, with additional tape markings to so indicate. You end up with a plank marked for graduated amounts to be removed.

This is where the measuring of the shavings comes in. In order to accurately remove the required amounts, the shavings are measured, so that the needed number of strokes of the plane can be applied in the correct place. The plane is set fine and the shavings are measured in stacks of three or four to get an average .

It might sound complicated, or a lot of work, but sometimes time is well spent doing accurate marking and cutting, instead of a protracted series of trying and marking, taking a little off here, taking a little off there, trying it again, and so on, you know the routine, the old standby.

jjj
          Last edited by Jim Ledger; 06-18-2022, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• Chippie
            • Jan 2013

Jim we used clamp as shown insert spacers at either end fore and aft ensuring that the plank rested on all the frames.

This left the plank up to 3/4 basically running parallel to the top plank.

Cut a stiff card (Lofting Paper) hold against landing plank edge and find the widest gap in between the two edges to be joined cut the card to that width hold one edge of the card against the top plank draw along marking the bottom edge the resulting line on the plank Is the line to plane to.

Gawds strew the it takes longer to describe than do, that you would find is a much quicker way.

Comment

• Jim Ledger
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Chippie
              Jim we used clamp as shown insert spacers at either end fore and aft ensuring that the plank rested on all the frames.

This left the plank up to 3/4 basically running parallel to the top plank.

Cut a stiff card (Lofting Paper) hold against landing plank edge and find the widest gap in between the two edges to be joined cut the card to that width hold one edge of the card against the top plank draw along marking the bottom edge the resulting line on the plank Is the line to plane to.

Gawds strew the it takes longer to describe than do, that you would find is a much quicker way.

Well thanks, Chippie, it's all clear now.

I'm like a blind man in a dark room sometimes, just feeling my way along.

Jim

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Jim Ledger
                Well thanks, Chippie, it's all clear now.

I'm like a blind man in a dark room sometimes, just feeling my way along.

Jim
                And... You have the patience of Job

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Canoeyawl
                  And... You have the patience of Job

It turns out that that might not be such a good thing, Jake.

Comment

• Chippie
                    • Jan 2013

[QUOTE=Jim Ledger;6680389]It turns out that that might not be such a good thing, Jake.[/QUOTE.

Of course you already knew the standard procedure and were too polite to say so.

On the other hand there there may have been someone reading,who didn't and I've pointed them in the right direction?

Comment

• peter radclyffe
                      • Apr 2009

Provided to YouTube by Virtual Label LLCThinkin' · Steve Forbert · Steve ForbertThe Best of Steve Forbert: What Kinda Guy?℗ 2011 Rolling Tide MusicReleased o...

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                        • Nov 2006

[QUOTE=Chippie;6680670]
                        Originally posted by Jim Ledger

On the other hand there there may have been someone reading, who didn't and I've pointed them in the right direction?

I'm sure they're grateful for that, Chippie, your explanation was concise and to the point, and if nothing else it saved them the time of wading through mine.

Comment

• Jim Ledger
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by peter radclyffe

Peter, if you go into the advanced reply there's an icon that looks like a short section of film. Pressing this icon opens a box with a space in which to paste the Youtube address. Then the video opens on the page.

Comment

• peter radclyffe
                            • Apr 2009

thanks Jim

Comment

Working...