Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mike muther******* pence

Default mike muther******* pence

my new favourite republican
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: mike muther******* pence

Does Pence deserve that many asterisks?

Was it the religious fervor that made him do such awful things the same reason he stood up on this? I think he fears hades more than Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by rgthom View Post
    Was it the religious fervor that made him do such awful things the same reason he stood up on this? I think he fears hades more than Trump.
    I think he got cought up and regretted it later, esp on the 6th.

trump actually told him to his face,"i won't be your friend any longer"

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    trump actually told him to his face,"i won't be your friend any longer"

lol
    Pence must have been devastated. I know I would be.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Eastman asked for a pardon after Jan 6. Didn't get one.

Holy sh#t.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Eastman asked for a pardon after Jan 6. Didn't get one.

Holy sh#t.
    Per a WaPo article:
    "In 1915, the Supreme Court indeed said, of pardons, that “acceptance” carries “a confession of” guilt. Burdick v. United States (1915). Other courts have echoed that since."
    Request for a pardon must similarly imply knowledge of guilt.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Pence and Cheney will run in 2024 as New Republicans vs Biden unless Dems can come up with a young white male with good hair and a glistening smile. A new JFK.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Word here in Illinois is that our Gov Pritzker might run. His record as Gov is actually pretty good. He's to be keynote speaker at an upcoming convention in New Hampshire, a traditional place folks go to test the waters.

Pence is still a wimp. He’s still trying to dance between doing the right thing and not pissing off the trump supporters who might not vote for him. Wimpy a$$hat.

as i have said previpusly, it wasn't the law that stopped the trump coup attempt. or the legal vote. or our institutions.

it was just a guy. a person. the only kind of person who could do it. an institutionalist, establishment republican.

and if we get a repeat attempt, it will be staved off the same way, if at all.

yup.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    as i have said previpusly, it wasn't the law that stopped the trump coup attempt. or the legal vote. or our institutions.

it was just a guy. a person. the only kind of person who could do it. an institutionalist, establishment republican.

That's the most troubling part, L.W.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    That's the most troubling part, L.W.
    in some respects, the entire jan 6 congressional investigation may be best justified as a warning. the investigation may fail to result in many charges filed, it may not keep trump off the ballot, it may not stop trump or a pretender from trying similar shenanigans, but the historical record, and the uncertainties generated for the future of the key trump partisans, may be enough to fortify the "courage" of institutionalist republicans faced with another opportunity to defend the nation.

the jan6 panel might best be seen as an exercise to reinforce our political norms, even as a large portion of the populace writes it off with a double helping of lies, distractions, and distortions.

Do you think we have heard the last word on why he refused to get into that car? Was it just that if he left the Capital someone else would do Trump's dirty work, or do you think he feared for his safety in that car?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Do you think we have heard the last word on why he refused to get into that car? Was it just that if he left the Capital someone else would do Trump's dirty work, or do you think he feared for his safety in that car?
    There was some scuttlebutt about the fact that Pence would be driven away from the Capitol. That would leave Chuck Grassley in charge of the vote count. (https://iowacapitaldispatch.com/2021...college-votes/) Considering that was from January 5th, how would Grassley have had knowledge that Pence might not be there.

“Well, first of all, I will be — if the Vice President isn’t there and we don’t expect him to be there, I will be presiding over the Senate,” according to a transcript of his remarks sent by a spokesperson.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Pence and Cheney will run in 2024 as New Republicans vs Biden unless Dems can come up with a young white male with good hair and a glistening smile. A new JFK.

Pete Buttegeig?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

From Greg Jacob's testimony, he did not want to be seen fleeing the capital.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

This deification of Pence goes too far. In fact, he was desperate to kowtow to Drumph on this ( as he never got tired of boot-licking Drumph before ), but he couldn't think of a way, so he called Dan Quayle ( ! ) and asked him if there was any way he could do what Drumpf was asking. Quayle told him absolutely not. If there was a real hero here, it was Quayle ( I choke to say that, but them's the facts ).
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    The “optics” of the Vice President fleeing the capital would have blown the coals into a flame.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

Yes, but a particular kind of institutionalist, from a particular set of institutions. He is, or was, when it counted, anyway, the kind of person who supports those particular institutions. Which one cannot do without knowing why they exist and how they function. Uncritical loyalty won't do.

In a very direct sense, it was the law. Trump's lawyers and Pence's lawyers told them that the law would protect neither the plan, nor them.

I think he saw it like this: if I do as Trump insists, I'm betting the rest of my life on Trump's future good fortune and good favor toward me. And having served under him for four years . . .
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 06-16-2022 at 05:10 PM.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    This deification of Pence goes too far. In fact, he was desperate to kowtow to Drumph on this ( as he never got tired of boot-licking Drumph before ), but he couldn't think of a way, so he called Dan Quayle ( ! ) and asked him if there was any way he could do what Drumpf was asking. Quayle told him absolutely not. If there was a real hero here, it was Quayle ( I choke to say that, but them's the facts ).
    The new thing is that, with all present at the same time, Trump, Pence, their lawyers, Eastman (who is a lawyer, for the present) and various other witnesses, several times, that the Drumpf/Eastman plan was illegal. Right on for Quayle, but he's not in the same league as Trump and Pence's own lawyers saying no to Drumph to his face. They are the heroes, because they come from an institution known as the law, and they have the balls.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Optics, Pence said it wouldn’t look good to be seen fleeing the nations Capitol building.

U.S vs. Trump.

Count 1: Seditious conspiracy starting not later than election night and continuing uninterrrupted until the present.
    Count 2: Wire Fraud.
    Counts 3 to infinity: Campaign finance law violations.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

It wasnít a simple B&W situation for Pence in the moment. His choice to not do trmpís bidding was simple, but not the whole armed insurrection, rioters intent on both doing murders and subverting our rule of law democracy, and his notion about the optics was slanted toward genuine patriotism and not partisan supremacy, and thereís not a whiff of it being tainted for also being a concern for his own skin. He did the right thing while his svengali boss threatened him bodily and politically. But heís still that same M Pence that was a favorite target of the liberal pundits for being a pasty lackey in trmpís shadow. Still a Republican.

And the honorable Secretary of Transportation would be an excellent Democratic candidate for president. Not exactly from nowhere, he has national name and face recognition and value as not just another old Dem pol. Joe and Kamala would hoth have to retire or she would have to be beaten in a primary unless Pete would take the number two spot on the ticket.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    . . . there’s not a whiff of it being tainted for also being a concern for his own skin.
    Nope. He has a duty to protect his own skin in order to carry out his duties as a constitutional officer, which, he did.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    she would have to be beaten in a primary unless Pete would take the number two spot on the ticket.
    you say this as if it's some sort of challenge

you say this as if it's some sort of challenge
    HIstorically and traditionally the VP should get the nod, but VPs are not usually as competitive as other nationally known pols, because they are usually the butt of jokes, whether they deserve them or not, just like the president is blamed for stuff that happens in the country while he is in office but which he has nothing to actually do with, like inflation or gas prices. The VP is going to be the next president only if the current one has to leave office prematurely or falls over, and only if whatever pulled the current president out of office isn't a tainting scandal that sucks the VP in too. Pete showed up well in polls, and at least as well as Kamala, until she was put on the ticket. There are other nationally recognizable Ds who could mount a winning campaign against whichever R runs. So much depends on what unknown unknown might blow up in the meantime or during the campaign year.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

kamala is a losing bet

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Optics, Pence said it wouldn’t look good to be seen fleeing the nations Capitol building.
    That seems weak to me. It's like the Secret Service pushing Reagan into the car when he was shot. It's what you do.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

kamala is a losing bet
    That's why i stuck with KC.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    That's why i stuck with KC.
    i admit, i loled

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Do you think a new JFK will get ys into a new 'Nam?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Do you think a new JFK will get ys into a new 'Nam?
    Hell yes. This empire isn’t done yet! Raytheon forever!