Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backyard pizza oven.

Default Backyard pizza oven.

We’re looking at purchasing or building a pizza oven and looking for any input useful or otherwise .
    Gas or wood fired, masonry or steel, dome or barrel vault, build from scratch or kit.
    It’s primarily going to be used for pizza but the occasional bread or roast or casserole would make its appearance.

Default Re: Backyard pizza oven.

Pizza wants a very hot oven, but not for very long. Woodfired masonry wastes a lot of time IMHO, you need a 2-3 hours to build the heat that you'll only use for about 20 minutes.

The gas-fired steel units on the market today are generally very good. Their only downside is cost.

Some friends spent an OBSCENE amount of money on an outdoor kitchen last year, which included a pizza oven. I flatter myself as a better than average pizza maker, and he spent his teens working one of the best pizza spots in newhaven, and we were not at all disappointed by his gas fired steel oven, that thing is LEGIT.
    What color are their hands now?

these kits for webers do a purty good job if it

1B4D436D-08C8-4A1B-B6B2-B68427C9D155.png
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I love pizza al fresco!

One of my boating buddies designed & built a portable pizza oven for our 'messabouts'. And it produces marvelous goods. Steel bottom frame with sockets for the removeable steel legs, which supports a layer of bricks. This is the firebox floor and cooking surface... after the fire is pushed to the back, and is the foundation for dry-stacked walls of bricks. Which support another steel frame. That top frame captures & stabilizes the walls, is angled to support a gabled roof of bricks, and has a steel fitting to accept a friction-fit steel stovepipe.

I'm his designated helper, since I sorta collaborated on the design. Some fine memories of great pizza assembly lines, and marvelous pizza parties shoreside. But, yes, all that brick does take a while to heat up. Which, for a series of pizzas, is also very good, as it holds the heat long enough to do multiple pies. Only once did we have to take a break to torch another fire and reheat everything.

I gotta tella ya, though, packing those buckets of bricks from truck to campsite is not for the feeble nor faint-hearted.

If I were setting one up for backyard use... a permanent installation... I think I'd save my shekels and spring for one of the nifty gas ovens.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

We use our Big Green Egg for many things, including pizza.

Take a look at Forno Brava. They publish a free book and plans showing how to build a wood-burning/pizza oven that was found at Pompeii.

The design's been updated to add dome and floor insulation, and to use modern firebrick to line the oven.

They also sell materials, oven kits, etc.

And Forno Brava runs a forum for all the wood oven builders out there. Lots of useful information and knowledge there.

https://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii-o...ii-oven-plans/

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Sort of depends if you are making a statement with it. If so, a proper domed brick oven, wood fired. Easy to make, just cutting the bricks a bit messy.
    But, as above, takes time to heat up, so a bit of hassle if only a couple of pizzas needed. More suited to lazy afternoons with prep time and several guests.

The kits for BBQs look a good quick solution. Likely could be DIY too.

Over in Portugal, at the fairs, they would set up about 10 or more proper domed brick ovens, Kept them fired(wood) in sequence and cooked pao com choriço, bread rolls with bits of spicey sausage. Very good. But the ovens were about a meter square and VERY heavy. Fork lift time to move them.

Edit: missed Nicolas's excellent post

Thanks Nick! My lady wants me to build her a greenhouse/picnic house with a wood fired oven in the end. Those links may be very helpful! Maybe next year I can tackle that project and I'll start a thread on it should that happen

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Sort of depends if you are making a statement with it. If so, a proper domed brick oven, wood fired. Easy to make, just cutting the bricks a bit messy.
    But, as above, takes time to heat up, so a bit of hassle if only a couple of pizzas needed. More suited to lazy afternoons with prep time and several guests.

The kits for BBQs look a good quick solution. Likely could be DIY too.

Over in Portugal, at the fairs, they would set up about 10 or more proper domed brick ovens, Kept them fired(wood) in sequence and cooked pao com choriço, bread rolls with bits of spicey sausage. Very good. But the ovens were about a meter square and VERY heavy. Fork lift time to move them.

Edit: missed Nicolas's excellent post
    I don't think it would be very difficult to plumb an oven with natural gas and set it up with a gas burner. Probably speed up heating it up. Likely cheaper than burning hardwood.

On a related note... this looks like fun. Firefighter in Revere, Massachusetts has started a side business: 3rd Alarm Wood Fired Pizza.

A 1968 Mack fire truck (apparatus?) rigged with an Italian-made wood-fired oven in the back.

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/...-pizza-wbz-tv/

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

A 1968 Mack fire truck (apparatus?) rigged with an Italian-made wood-fired oven in the back.

That would be a fire engine, in use it would loaded with hose and a pump for delivering water through those hoses. A fire truck has the big ladder on top.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

The pizza-oven trucks have been a thing around here for a while. biggreentruckpizza.com
    One was recently wrecked in an incident with an uninsured driver, the replacement cost was reported to be upward of $200k.

After a gofundme campaign, they replaced it with a pizza-oven trailer, which turns out to be a much more effective (if less charming) setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Take a look at Forno Brava.
    Yup, If you want to build a traditional brick oven then the Forno Bravo website is great.

I used their information to build one at our house in Thailand a few years back:

PO1.jpg

PO2.jpg

PO3.jpg

I wrote a thread about it on another forum:

https://teakdoor.com/construction-in...izza-oven.html

It's probably a little short on technical detail largely because much of it we made up as we went along, but it does show that with the guidance of the Forno Bravo website you can launch into the project with little in the way of prior technical knowledge, planning or skill...

"In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Andy, I do like that one, it would be the hit of the neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Love this.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

When I feel especially motivated, I use my UDS (Upright/Ugly Drum Smoker). I made mine so I can mount the fire basket right under the top grate for direct grilling. In that position, using lump charcoal that sucker gets HOT. On a preheated stone, the pizza is done in a few minutes. and yes, you can throw a chunk of wood on there for smoked pizza. Tonight I'm making a White Clam Pizza, one of my favorites from Pepe's in New Haven.

I'd go the Big Green Egg route, and you can use it to do a lot of other things besides Pizza
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

17DA7D7A-097C-4490-80DA-523CCA4F5B99.jpgSpotted this one yesterday, double walled stainless with firebrick floor, gas burner available. This barrel design is doable in firebrick at a reasonable cost, I got a quote on the brick at $2.99 per and would need 120 or so. Do I need or want to take on a project though.
    Last edited by L.A Marche; 06-17-2022 at 11:03 AM.

Weber gas grill. Pizza Stone. Baking Steel on top of some fire bricks. 600 degrees.

Last edited by Dave Lesser; 06-21-2022 at 12:09 AM.
    One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

The downside of #18 is that it has trouble making a pie larger than about 13", whereas #19 can make what one might call a Real Pizza.

#19 can probably do two at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    No, the baking steel radiates heat downward so the top is ready before the crust burns. 3-4 minutes for thin crust pizza.
    One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    The downside of #18 is that it has trouble making a pie larger than about 13", whereas #19 can make what one might call a Real Pizza.

They do make a larger size oven, slightly higher price, though not much of an issue as with this seller it’s going to be a bartering trade off thing.
    Not really concerned with “real” pizza, I enjoy the occasional pineapple on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    these kits for webers do a purty good job if it

1B4D436D-08C8-4A1B-B6B2-B68427C9D155.png
    And just cooking in the Weber works as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lesser View Post
    Weber gas grill. Pizza Stone. Baking Steel on tip of some fire bricks. 600 degrees.

Dave, I'm going to copy this idea. I've done a few pizzas on my three burner Weber gas grill by putting the goods directly onto the grate. First bake/grill one side, take that out and decorate the partially cooked side, then back onto the grill for a finish. This works, but is dicey. Your setup will act more like a real oven.

What gage is that pan that holds the stone? Is it made specifically for this purpose or are you adapting something else?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The pan is aound 18 guage. It came with the stone but I don't remember where I bought it. They recommended using a pan under the stone on the grill, but it's not necessary in the oven. Any thin, cheap aluminum pizza pan would probably work to disperse the heat and prevent the stone from cracking.
    AJ Zimm

We have a Bakerstone( homely hardware/ crappy tire)that goes onto the gas barbie.
    It works pretty well if you leave the lid propped open an inch or two and put a bit of hardwood( for smoke flavour) on the grate.
    Some of the brick and mortar kit ovens need to be tarped for the winter or they will self destruct due to the absorbed moisture freezing.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

So with all this talk of pizza, who's got a really good pizza dough recipe that isn't too much of a fuss to make. I've been doing a sourdough one but am unhappy with it.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    So with all this talk of pizza, who's got a really good pizza dough recipe that isn't too much of a fuss to make. I've been doing a sourdough one but am unhappy with it.

Jeff
    Where's Joe when we really need him???

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Where's Joe when we really need him???
    starts with hudson river sewer water
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    I so want this!
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I so want this!
    Paul...........looks like you have a new project to work on
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Another good resource for building, and cooking with, wood-fired ovens is https://www.traditionaloven.com/ — run by a Czech guy who lives down under in Adelaide.

This was built by a retire storemason in upstate New York.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

Jeff
    This one works for me:

3 cups of flour

1 teaspoon of salt

1.25 cups of warm water

1 teaspoon of sugar

1 heaped teaspoon of active dry yeast

Olive oil

Dissolve the sugar in the warm water and sprinkle the yeast across the top, giving it a stir if necessary. Let it work until all the granules of yeast are wet and have expanded.

Put the salted flour in a bowl and aerate it by stirring with a table knife.

Pour 75% of the water/yeast into the flour and stir in with a table knife. Add the rest of the water/yeast and continue.

Pour some olive oil into the palm of each hand and start kneading. Once the dough becomes sticky oil the hands again and continue. Keep kneading until the texture of the dough is smooth.

Put some gladwrap across the top of the bowl and put aside in a warm place to prove. I put mine in the waterheater cupboard, but a car in the sunshine with its windows up works well.

Leave until the dough has tripled in size.

I usually make two medium bases from this mix, but sometimes three smaller ones if I want several different toppings.

IMG20220606164401.jpg
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Pizza dough recipe... honestly the recipe printed on the bag of King Arthur Pizza Flour is pretty solid. https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...a-crust-recipe

When I'm in a hurry or if I'm grilling instead of baking I use this one (a lot more yeast and oil) https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...a-crust-recipe

If I have a couple of days' notice I use this...
    750g bread flour
    510g water
    4g yeast
    17g salt
    Combine, knead for just a few minutes, divide into 3 round tupperware containers (oiled), refrigerate for 1-3 days.
    The long fermentation time also provides a lot of gluten development, but this is a more delicate dough that wants gentle handling.
    The round containers are key, they give a good head-start on the shaping, just tip the dough out into some flour and you're halfway there.
    Last edited by Figment; 06-20-2022 at 08:01 AM.

We put in an Earthstone modular oven a while back. Yeah, it takes 3 hours to get to 900 degrees. But who cares? The dough takes 2 days regardless. The oven makes a nice paella too.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk