Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Anyone speak Danish?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Posts
    17

    Default Anyone speak Danish?

    I found this online after seeing some instagram posts from sailingcraftsman who posts lots of video of sailing one of these in the Baltic.
    I wonder if anyone has built one of these recently?
    E5956EF9-EB03-49B7-854A-47F879F9D721.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Madison Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,557

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Reminds me of this one, which I drew up and mapped out the basic sailplan for at some point - but I can't remember why or who it was for, and I don't recall ever following through on it and building these sails.

    !BLEKING copy.jpg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Reminds me of this one, which I drew up and mapped out the basic sailplan for at some point - but I can't remember why or who it was for, and I don't recall ever following through on it and building these sails.
    That’s also a lovely looking boat. Blekingseka seems like a word to lead me down yet another rabbit hole!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    La Conner, WA
    Posts
    519

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    The sub-title of the design, "Øvelsesbaad for Søspeidere" is roughly translated "Practice Boat for Sea Scouts", and there is more in the boxed area to the right of the bow about it being similiar to other "jolle" from the area and time period, but I cannot make out much more as the definition degrades. The upper right hand appears to describe the building materials, but I cannot make it out.

    Aalborg is a town in northern Denmark, the designer Aage Utzon is from Helsingor, which is where the Boat Museum is located. Christian Nielsen was the small craft curator and he wrote a lovely book called "Danske Bådtyper", which was also translated into English as "Danish Coastal Boats"(I think)and was sold by the Woodenboat Store.

    Blekingseka is a small craft type, built near Blekinge. You can see many more lovely traditional Swedish types at: www.batritningar.se
    And you can read it in English and buy building plans.

    And then you can complete the tour by getting Bernhard Faerøyvik's "Inshore Craft of Norway" which covers the distinct local boats that he measured and drew up.

    The plans can be purchased for these craft from the museums in Helsingor and Oslo.

    I am barely intelligible in Norwegian, and can follow a bit of Danish, if there was a better quality print of you boat plan I couyld maybe get more detail.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    792

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Deleted
    Last edited by heimlaga; 06-16-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    792

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    I understand Danish fairly well but the definition of the picture is such that I cannot read the small text properly. I can make out enough to identify that the text is about scantlings and other infrmatioon for the builder.
    "Training boat for sea scouts" it is.
    Lenght 17' or 5,34m
    Beam 5' 9" or 1,80m
    Depth 2'5" or 7??? cm
    Sail area 144 square feet or 14,27square metres.

    That style of Danish jolle have a solid reputation for extremely good seaworthiness for their size. They are also said to sail and handle quite well though slow by modern standards.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,989

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    76 cm

    It might be possible that I've got the book I'll check tonight

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    4,678

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Looks similar to this one that frequents the PTWBF:
    IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    La Conner, WA
    Posts
    519

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    I understand Danish fairly well but the definition of the picture is such that I cannot read the small text properly. I can make out enough to identify that the text is about scantlings and other infrmatioon for the builder.
    "Training boat for sea scouts" it is.
    Lenght 17' or 5,34m
    Beam 5' 9" or 1,80m
    Depth 2'5" or 7??? cm
    Sail area 144 square feet or 14,27square metres.

    That style of Danish jolle have a solid reputation for extremely good seaworthiness for their size. They are also said to sail and handle quite well though slow by modern standards.
    Thank you Heimlaga, “Training Boat” is the right word, best I could come up with was “Practice Boat”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,989

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    I'm sorry I thought I owned a book with this drawing but it seems to be a drawing of a (larger) German type of boat, it has the same rigging though

    But the positive news is that the Aalborg boat article can be downloaded for free from this site:
    http://billedarkiv.mfs.dk/fotoweb/ar...26514.jpg.info

    Its perfectly readable when downloaded.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 06-16-2022 at 01:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    792

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    The small text says:
    Keel of beech or oak 6 by 2 1/2 inch. Stems of oak 5 by 2 1/2 inch. Stem beveled to i nch from rabbet. Sternpost beveled to 1 1/4 inch and hollowed out (probably hollowed out for a tight fit against the rudder, my comment). Planking of seasoned timber (Kalmar) 1/2 inch. (Kalmar is a port in Sweden from which pine timber was exported to Denmark, my comment) Frames of oak 2 by 1 1/2 inch. Floors of oak 2 inch thick. Arm lenght of floor at the midship frame 36 inches shortened towards the ends. Inwale 1 by 4 inches. Possible with rebates for deck planks and planking. King plank on foredeck 1 by 4-6 inches rebated for deck planking. Thwarts of pine 7 by 1 1/4 inch. Deck of pine 1 1/4 -2 by 3/4 inch. cotton thread rolled in. (cotton thread caulking, my comment). Sampson post of oak 2 1/4 by 3 inches. Cockpit coamings of 5/8 inch oak. Possibly?????????????? from stem to amidship. Soleboards of pine 3/4 inch removable. Rudder post of oak with pine blade. Iron keel wrought iron (or mild steel the terms were used interchangeably back then in Danish, my comment) 60x60 mm 90 kilos 4 bolts through the floors and one bolt forward and one aft through keel and stem knee. Internal ballast suggestion a barrel in a stand that cannot move when heeling. When sailing the barrel is filed with water (according to experience the best ballast)

    And so on with the same style of specifications for the rigging and the buoyancy tanks.

    Now I got too tired in the head and the words fail me. If there is interrest I will translate the rest too.

    Anyway it ends with:
    Anyone can free of charge let build according to the drawings and a such will be sent upon request as long as copies are in stock. Engineer Aage Utzon, Helsingör 1945.


    Good night
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schweiss View Post
    The sub-title of the design, "Øvelsesbaad for Søspeidere" is roughly translated "Practice Boat for Sea Scouts", and there is more in the boxed area to the right of the bow about it being similiar to other "jolle" from the area and time period, but I cannot make out much more as the definition degrades. The upper right hand appears to describe the building materials, but I cannot make it out.

    Aalborg is a town in northern Denmark, the designer Aage Utzon is from Helsingor, which is where the Boat Museum is located. Christian Nielsen was the small craft curator and he wrote a lovely book called "Danske Bådtyper", which was also translated into English as "Danish Coastal Boats"(I think)and was sold by the Woodenboat Store.

    Blekingseka is a small craft type, built near Blekinge. You can see many more lovely traditional Swedish types at: www.batritningar.se
    And you can read it in English and buy building plans.

    And then you can complete the tour by getting Bernhard Faerøyvik's "Inshore Craft of Norway" which covers the distinct local boats that he measured and drew up.

    The plans can be purchased for these craft from the museums in Helsingor and Oslo.

    I am barely intelligible in Norwegian, and can follow a bit of Danish, if there was a better quality print of you boat plan I couyld maybe get more detail.
    Thanks Paul, that’s all very helpful. The rabbit holes are getting deeper!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    The small text says:
    Keel of beech or oak 6 by 2 1/2 inch. Stems of oak 5 by 2 1/2 inch. Stem beveled to i nch from rabbet. Sternpost beveled to 1 1/4 inch and hollowed out (probably hollowed out for a tight fit against the rudder, my comment). Planking of seasoned timber (Kalmar) 1/2 inch. (Kalmar is a port in Sweden from which pine timber was exported to Denmark, my comment) Frames of oak 2 by 1 1/2 inch. Floors of oak 2 inch thick. Arm lenght of floor at the midship frame 36 inches shortened towards the ends. Inwale 1 by 4 inches. Possible with rebates for deck planks and planking. King plank on foredeck 1 by 4-6 inches rebated for deck planking. Thwarts of pine 7 by 1 1/4 inch. Deck of pine 1 1/4 -2 by 3/4 inch. cotton thread rolled in. (cotton thread caulking, my comment). Sampson post of oak 2 1/4 by 3 inches. Cockpit coamings of 5/8 inch oak. Possibly?????????????? from stem to amidship. Soleboards of pine 3/4 inch removable. Rudder post of oak with pine blade. Iron keel wrought iron (or mild steel the terms were used interchangeably back then in Danish, my comment) 60x60 mm 90 kilos 4 bolts through the floors and one bolt forward and one aft through keel and stem knee. Internal ballast suggestion a barrel in a stand that cannot move when heeling. When sailing the barrel is filed with water (according to experience the best ballast)

    And so on with the same style of specifications for the rigging and the buoyancy tanks.

    Now I got too tired in the head and the words fail me. If there is interrest I will translate the rest too.

    Anyway it ends with:
    Anyone can free of charge let build according to the drawings and a such will be sent upon request as long as copies are in stock. Engineer Aage Utzon, Helsingör 1945.


    Good night
    Thanks so much Heimlaga that’s really helpful. The rest of the translation would be great if possible. I’m still thinking of my next build and seaworthy and slow are absolutely my thing! I may try and get in touch with the maritime museum in Denmark and see if I can get some more information from them.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    792

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    I will continue the translation when I have time. Probably during the weekend.

    For more information I think you should get in contact with either of theese

    Sea scouts of Aalborg. The boat was originally designed for them https://www.aalborgsoespejdere.dk/
    Sailing club of Aalborg. Likely to know a bit about a boat designed by local celebrity Aage Utzon. https://www.aalborg-sejlklub.dk/
    The Limfjord museum. They have an Aalborg jolle exhibited. https://limfjordsmuseet.dk/
    The maritime Kalvö. They have at least one of theese boats.https://www.calloe.dk/fartoejer/
    One of my followers on Instagram sails one of theese boats which he has rebuilt himself. https://www.instagram.com/sailingcraftsman/

    Looking for a new design to build an Utzon design would be a fairly safe bet. Probably the most famous sailboat designer ever in Denmark.
    The Aalborg Jolle is said to be based on the Limfjorg sjaegte which was a traditional fishing boat famous for being fast and well sailing by the standards of the time. Originally developed from a Norwegian boat type by poachers who wanted to get away fast in case somebody unwanted showed up.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    I will continue the translation when I have time. Probably during the weekend.

    For more information I think you should get in contact with either of theese

    Sea scouts of Aalborg. The boat was originally designed for them https://www.aalborgsoespejdere.dk/
    Sailing club of Aalborg. Likely to know a bit about a boat designed by local celebrity Aage Utzon. https://www.aalborg-sejlklub.dk/
    The Limfjord museum. They have an Aalborg jolle exhibited. https://limfjordsmuseet.dk/
    The maritime Kalvö. They have at least one of theese boats.https://www.calloe.dk/fartoejer/
    One of my followers on Instagram sails one of theese boats which he has rebuilt himself. https://www.instagram.com/sailingcraftsman/

    Looking for a new design to build an Utzon design would be a fairly safe bet. Probably the most famous sailboat designer ever in Denmark.
    The Aalborg Jolle is said to be based on the Limfjorg sjaegte which was a traditional fishing boat famous for being fast and well sailing by the standards of the time. Originally developed from a Norwegian boat type by poachers who wanted to get away fast in case somebody unwanted showed up.
    Thanks again Heimlaga. Sailingcraftsman on Instagram was where I first came across this boat.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    792

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    The translation continues.
    Mast, sprit and topmast of spruce. An iron strap for the mast with staple and pin (The hinged iron strap locked by the pin is holding the mast to the deck beam, my comment). Deck beam by the mast from oak, no need for shrouds. ?????? 5 by 1 inch tapered towards the ends to 3 by3/4 inch. 4 spruce oars 10 feet. One boathook. Rivets of copper or galvanized iron. Deck beams 1 1/2 by 1 1/4 inch 12 inches apart. All metal fittings galvanized. The boat including spars treated with boiled linseed oil then two strokes of varnish. Bottom paint in the bottom (underwater body refered to as bottom in Danish, my comment)
    The side deck is so made that the helmsman gets wet first when the boat is heeling over and hence first made aware of the situation among the people aboard.
    Buoyancy tanks are made in the boat in two halves as shown under the thwarts, or as one tank each side of the mast and une undfer the sternsheets. When planning them the stability of the boat in waterlogged condition should be considered.
    Shelves for stuff are made from the mast forward at an angle sloping towards the planking.

    The jolle is tested for a number of years together with other jolle types. From 1940 the boat is appointed official training boat for the Sea Scouts in Denmark.


    That is all
    Good night
    Last edited by heimlaga; 06-18-2022 at 04:09 PM.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post
    The translation continues.
    Mast, sprit and topmast of spruce. An iron strap for the mast with staple and pin (The hinged iron strap locked by the pin is holding the mast to the deck beam, my comment). Deck beam by the mast from oak, no need for shrouds. ?????? 5 by 1 inch tapered towards the ends to 3 by3/4 inch. 4 spruce oars 10 feet. One boathook. Rivets of copper or galvanized iron. Deck beams 1 1/2 by 1 1/4 inch 12 inches apart. All metal fittings galvanized. The boat including spars treated with boiled linseed oil then two strokes of varnish. Bottom paint in the bottom (underwater body refered to as bottom in Danish, my comment)
    The side deck is so made that the helmsman gets wet first when the boat is heeling over and hence first made aware of the situation among the people aboard.
    Buoyancy tanks are made in the boat in two halves as shown under the thwarts, or as one tank each side of the mast and une undfer the sternsheets. When planning them the stability of the boat in waterlogged condition should be considered.
    Shelves for stuff are made from the mast forward at an angle sloping towards the planking.

    The jolle is tested for a number of years together with other jolle types. From 1940 the boat is appointed official training boat for the Sea Scouts in Denmark.


    That is all
    Good night
    Thank you so much Heimlaga. Both your translation and translation notes are great. If this project gets off the ground I will certainly let you know.
    cheers
    Darren

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Anyone speak Danish?

    The Aalborg Jolle is heavily inspired by the 'sjægt', a traditional vessel of typically 16-22 feet, used from the middle or late 1800's in the Limfjord, an inland waterway in the north of Denmark. They were used for fishing under oars, and used the sail rig (same as shown for the Aalborg Jolle) for transport to and from fishing grounds.

    The sjægt itself is generally believed to be based on Norwegian 'sjekte', a type of boat that looks similar to Shetland boats and many other Scandinavian variations, all characterized by being clinker built and double-ended and with a direct viking heritage.

    Have a look at sjægt.dk for a website of an organization that keeps sjægts alive and sailing today as recreational boats. The site is in Danish only, but has lots of pictures and even drawings taken from measurements of original boats.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •