Thread: S&G Pygmy kayak fiberglass repair

Default S&G Pygmy kayak fiberglass repair

I'm really not sure how this happened. At least it is moderately accessible and I have the missing piece.

This is the more difficult repair, just above the hole, right now I'm assuming they happened at the same time a couple of years back. The hole I remember seeing, the fracture not at all.

Anyway.

Looking at the stress fracture, the plywood at this point appears to be OK. The localized UV damage is interesting (there is another larger patch elsewhere on the deck that will need attention too) odd that it is just one weird shaped section. thinking score the 'glass with a dremel then hit it with a heatgun to soften the epoxy enough to peel the damaged section off? Or go full-on Wizbang and use a grinder? Leaning towards grinder but open to suggestions.

Yes, fairing the repair in is going to be tough but these kayaks are over 20 years old and already show the scars of being hauled out on a lot of PNW rocky beaches, structurally sound but definitely not trailer queens.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Default Re: S&G Pygmy kayak fiberglass repair

Chunks of old fiberglass

80 grit on the RO sanded through the varnish and fiberglass layer reasonably quickly, just had to stop before getting too far into the plywood. The UV damaged bits pretty much flake off, the rest peeled up.

Sanded back a few inches to remove the varnish then laid down a layer of 1.75oz cloth to cover the bare wood and capture the corners in an effort to keep it all together.

Judging by how easily the glass peeled off I think the whole thing is going to get stripped down next winter for a fresh start on the next 20 years. They'll also get some definitive shade protection this summer. Could be a small bowshed or (more likely) something more like the floating row covers farmers put in the fields.

Certainly has me thinking about all the epoxy sealed varnished brightwork I see out there. Fought UV degradation on Marianita's cabin sides for years before wooding and painting the parts that had gone bad. Glad I oiled and varnished her spars.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Is that a Coho? I had a heck of a time choosing between the Coho and Arctic Tern. Ended up building 14' and 17' ATs.
    Being lazy I chose paint over varnish.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

This one is an Osprey but we have a Coho too.
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

It is always interesting to see where failures and degradation occur to help us build better boats. Things like this encourage me to continue on my path to non-stich-and-glue kits...relying on good wood epoxy joints vs glass to hold things together feels better to me.

The shaded storage will go a long way to longevity of the hull.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

It is interesting/alarming how localized the visible damage was. The rest of the sheathing "looks" good but it peeled right up leaving a thin layer of lightly textured epoxy behind that was still adhered well enough to need sanding off. The places in shadow, like under the bungee cords was remarkably solid. I imagine if the boat had been painted instead of varnished this wouldn't have happened.

Something else that is interesting, I noticed the damage right away when I pulled the boat off her inside winter storage rack. It was obvious enough that I think I'd have noticed it putting them up last fall. On the "up" side it is very easy to scrape the broken down epoxy off whatever it used to be attached too.

Autonomous: My mistake, this is the 17' Arctic Tern. I was thinking of the Osprey Double I built and eventually sold off due to lack of use. Once this is wrapped up I'll have to take a look at the Coho, while I prefer rowing to paddling these days it is my most likely boat of choice for next year's 70/48 race (unless by some minor miracle a Drake 17 shows up....).
    Steve

H.A. Calahan