Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 43

Thread: Goodbye to flat tires?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    35,205

    Default Goodbye to flat tires?

    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61644033

    The company that gave us the pumped-up Michelin Man logo, has a multi-year plan, to create a tyre that is airless, connected, 3D-printed and made entirely of materials that can be melted down and re-used.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    38,947

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    That's amazing. I wonder what the tread life will be?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,960

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    I don’t get flats much anymore. Grappling hook incidents aside.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Posts
    12,988

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    And "hello wildly unbalanced wheels". May be fine for Fla and Ca, but in our cold N Illinois winters it would be all too easy for slush to freeze in the spaces close to the ground, making the wheel wildly unbalanced when it freezes and the car needs to go somewhere.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    10,857

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I don’t get flats much anymore. Grappling hook incidents aside.
    Nor do I. I've had tyres that never got a puncture. I suppose it's modern materials, and the fact that I replace them before they are bald.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    66,791

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Bicycle tires have become really good in the last thirty years. What I’d like to find is a passenger tire with stronger sidewalls but not as hard riding as truck tires. Any recomendations?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    547

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    This is very interesting, I am kinda of perplexed why "airless tyres have a greater contact patch with the road". On air filled tires the amount of "rubber on the road" is a function air pressure and sidewall construction, but mostly air pressure. They also didn't say anything about weight, but what is really important they look can really cool.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    12,833

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Snow, ice, mud, sand or gravel. What could go wrong?
    Skip

    ---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Still Above the Grass
    Posts
    8,019

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    This kinda looks like a solution looking for a problem. In 65 years of driving I've had a few slow leaks, but not a single flat. Bicycle tires are another thing. I can certainly see airless tires for bicycles.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Southampton Ont. Canada
    Posts
    7,296

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Lol
    I had seven flats in seven days when I was shuttling for a rafting trip on the Kootenay(Remote southeastern BC)in the summer of '85.
    I could see a crap excluding sidewall being a welcome feature.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    24,812

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Tires last longer these days because auto manufacturers design alloy wheels that protrude beyond the sidewall, insuring that a curb scrape will trash an expensive wheel, while protecting the tire
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    This is very interesting, I am kinda of perplexed why "airless tyres have a greater contact patch with the road". On air filled tires the amount of "rubber on the road" is a function air pressure and sidewall construction, but mostly air pressure. They also didn't say anything about weight, but what is really important they look can really cool.
    It makes sense. No matter how you mold a tyre, as soon as you add air to it, the surface area where it meets the road is going to deform. Too little pressure and the middle goes concave, too much and it bulges. This also changes daily with air temperature, load, and speed. With an airless tyre, that molded tread never changes shape. Within the limits of the car's suspension, it will always remain flat to the road. Basically, the shape is more controllable with less things to factor in.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    15,700

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    I remember testing airless tires some 30 years ago. The idea then was to use them for a spare. Today's tires rarely go flat, and often the car doesn't have a spare. If there was any performance benefit, they would have been on race cars years ago.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Connecticut, of the newer England.
    Posts
    12,801

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    The "made entirely of materials that can be melted-down and reused" is the real advancement there.
    What color are their hands now?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    117,199

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Basically, the shape is more controllable with less things to factor in.
    also less tuneable

    and contact patch size is related strongly to rolling resistance
    will the these new tires be less fuel efficient?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    also less tuneable

    and contact patch size is related strongly to rolling resistance
    will the these new tires be less fuel efficient?
    for 99% of the drivers out there.. I doubt having tyres that are not-tunable is a drawback. If not for the low pressure indicators, I doubt most cars would have the proper amount of air in them.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    20,390

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Tire Particulate Pollution is killing us.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Bicycle tires have become really good in the last thirty years. What I’d like to find is a passenger tire with stronger sidewalls but not as hard riding as truck tires. Any recomendations?
    Both auto and bicycle tires have much better tread wear than in the old days. Car tires used to wear out quickly and retreads were common. My Tacoma has over 120,000 miles and on its second set of tires that are still looking good.

    I used to get 1-2000 miles out of bicycle tires and now they can go 3x that long. A set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes went close to 10,000 miles.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,960

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow;[URL="tel:6678285"
    6678285[/URL]]Tire Particulate Pollution is killing us.
    I’ve wondered if that’s a thing.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    117,199

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    66,791

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    Both auto and bicycle tires have much better tread wear than in the old days. Car tires used to wear out quickly and retreads were common. My Tacoma has over 120,000 miles and on its second set of tires that are still looking good.

    I used to get 1-2000 miles out of bicycle tires and now they can go 3x that long. A set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes went close to 10,000 miles.
    That Supreme is a funny tire. Gotta be one of the best road/touring tires around but if the psi is a little low it’s squirmy in a weird way as the puncture resistant strip makes half the casing pretty solid but it ends above a very flexible sidewall so that sidewall gets worked a lot. But at the right psi it’s near perfect. I put a Supreme on the rear and a larger Panaracer T-serve on the front and found that gave a good combo of roll, grip, durability and comfort.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    66,791

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I’ve wondered if that’s a thing.
    A few lbs of rubber dust here and a few lbs there w a few million cars going a few million miles and it’s a thing

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,960

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Dang. I’ve been meaning to check the cabin air filters. Not pretty.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    That Supreme is a funny tire. Gotta be one of the best road/touring tires around but if the psi is a little low it’s squirmy in a weird way as the puncture resistant strip makes half the casing pretty solid but it ends above a very flexible sidewall so that sidewall gets worked a lot. But at the right psi it’s near perfect. I put a Supreme on the rear and a larger Panaracer T-serve on the front and found that gave a good combo of roll, grip, durability and comfort.
    Interesting you say that, and I agree they like a fair amount of pressure. The thin sidewalls make the tires more comfortable than other high-mileage tires, so it's a tradeoff. With my earlier Supremes, it was the sidewalls (cuts) that finally retired them.

    I still use Supremes on the all-purpose bike but like Conti GP 5000s (32 mm) on the most-ridden bike. I'll have to give the T-serve a try next time.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Seattle Washington USA
    Posts
    395

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    A few lbs of rubber dust here and a few lbs there w a few million cars going a few million miles and it’s a thing
    One of my construction jobs was a high-end condo located on a busy downtown corner with a fair amount of traffic. Several of the condo owners were complaining about sooty dust accumulating inside. We hired an air quality consultant who took samples of the black dust. They concluded it was tire residue.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    34,595

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Bicycle tires have become really good in the last thirty years. What I’d like to find is a passenger tire with stronger sidewalls but not as hard riding as truck tires. Any recomendations?
    Look carefully at the "speed rating". They get pretty good at "V" and up

  27. #27
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    66,791

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    Interesting you say that, and I agree they like a fair amount of pressure. The thin sidewalls make the tires more comfortable than other high-mileage tires, so it's a tradeoff. With my earlier Supremes, it was the sidewalls (cuts) that finally retired them.

    I still use Supremes on the all-purpose bike but like Conti GP 5000s (32 mm) on the most-ridden bike. I'll have to give the T-serve a try next time.
    While the Supreme is “better” at twice the cost I like the feel of the T-serve better for a front tire. My commuting set up was a 26”x 1.75 T Serv in the front and 1.6” Supreme in the rear. Never had flats and as fast rolling as I needed while giving the capability to carry heavy loads when needed. On a CrossCheck I had a 700x35 Supreme on the rear and 35mm T Serv in the front. That was the one that low psi really showed weirdness and the sidewalls of the Supreme suffered on bad roads and sharp drops. On a 20” folder I toured on a few times a good combo was a 1.6” Supreme in the rear and 2.0 Big Apple in the front. Comfortable and good rolling combo. This is all utilitarian and commuting as I no longer go really fast.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    66,791

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Look carefully at the "speed rating". They get pretty good at "V" and up
    It’s resistance to sidewall cuts going over 3”-4” sharp drainage rocks that’s the problem.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    34,595

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Don't do that

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    66,791

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Don't do that
    I try not to but that’s the way to grandmas house and the minivan has all the kid/baby seats. That’s why a minivan w more ground clearence is desired.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    9,807

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    Both auto and bicycle tires have much better tread wear than in the old days. Car tires used to wear out quickly and retreads were common. My Tacoma has over 120,000 miles and on its second set of tires that are still looking good.

    I used to get 1-2000 miles out of bicycle tires and now they can go 3x that long. A set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes went close to 10,000 miles.
    I have to replace the tires on the Abarth this year. Right before I had my hernia operation I noticed they were beginning to crack. When I checked the date code, they are original to the car (2012)
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    10,857

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Bicycle tires have become really good in the last thirty years. What I’d like to find is a passenger tire with stronger sidewalls but not as hard riding as truck tires. Any recomendations?
    Get smaller sized wheels with higher profile sidewalls on the tyres.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    117,199

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Bicycle tires have become really good in the last thirty years. What I’d like to find is a passenger tire with stronger sidewalls but not as hard riding as truck tires. Any recomendations?
    lower air pressure
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    5,847

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    And "hello wildly unbalanced wheels". May be fine for Fla and Ca, but in our cold N Illinois winters it would be all too easy for slush to freeze in the spaces close to the ground, making the wheel wildly unbalanced when it freezes and the car needs to go somewhere.
    And here was me thinking of boys with too much time on their hands, wedging rocks in there to give you good vibrations.

    Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    70,267

    Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

    When I was kid in the bush Jimmy Young had a WW1 truck, it never got punctures either…..


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •