Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye to flat tires?

Default Goodbye to flat tires?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61644033

The company that gave us the pumped-up Michelin Man logo, has a multi-year plan, to create a tyre that is airless, connected, 3D-printed and made entirely of materials that can be melted down and re-used.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Default Re: Goodbye to flat tires?

That's amazing. I wonder what the tread life will be?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I don’t get flats much anymore. Grappling hook incidents aside.

And "hello wildly unbalanced wheels". May be fine for Fla and Ca, but in our cold N Illinois winters it would be all too easy for slush to freeze in the spaces close to the ground, making the wheel wildly unbalanced when it freezes and the car needs to go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I don’t get flats much anymore. Grappling hook incidents aside.
    Nor do I. I've had tyres that never got a puncture. I suppose it's modern materials, and the fact that I replace them before they are bald.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Bicycle tires have become really good in the last thirty years. What I’d like to find is a passenger tire with stronger sidewalls but not as hard riding as truck tires. Any recomendations?

This is very interesting, I am kinda of perplexed why "airless tyres have a greater contact patch with the road". On air filled tires the amount of "rubber on the road" is a function air pressure and sidewall construction, but mostly air pressure. They also didn't say anything about weight, but what is really important they look can really cool.

Snow, ice, mud, sand or gravel. What could go wrong?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

This kinda looks like a solution looking for a problem. In 65 years of driving I've had a few slow leaks, but not a single flat. Bicycle tires are another thing. I can certainly see airless tires for bicycles.

Lol
    I had seven flats in seven days when I was shuttling for a rafting trip on the Kootenay(Remote southeastern BC)in the summer of '85.
    I could see a crap excluding sidewall being a welcome feature.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Tires last longer these days because auto manufacturers design alloy wheels that protrude beyond the sidewall, insuring that a curb scrape will trash an expensive wheel, while protecting the tire
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    This is very interesting, I am kinda of perplexed why "airless tyres have a greater contact patch with the road". On air filled tires the amount of "rubber on the road" is a function air pressure and sidewall construction, but mostly air pressure. They also didn't say anything about weight, but what is really important they look can really cool.
    It makes sense. No matter how you mold a tyre, as soon as you add air to it, the surface area where it meets the road is going to deform. Too little pressure and the middle goes concave, too much and it bulges. This also changes daily with air temperature, load, and speed. With an airless tyre, that molded tread never changes shape. Within the limits of the car's suspension, it will always remain flat to the road. Basically, the shape is more controllable with less things to factor in.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I remember testing airless tires some 30 years ago. The idea then was to use them for a spare. Today's tires rarely go flat, and often the car doesn't have a spare. If there was any performance benefit, they would have been on race cars years ago.

The "made entirely of materials that can be melted-down and reused" is the real advancement there.
    What color are their hands now?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Basically, the shape is more controllable with less things to factor in.
    also less tuneable

and contact patch size is related strongly to rolling resistance
    will the these new tires be less fuel efficient?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    also less tuneable

and contact patch size is related strongly to rolling resistance
    will the these new tires be less fuel efficient?
    for 99% of the drivers out there.. I doubt having tyres that are not-tunable is a drawback. If not for the low pressure indicators, I doubt most cars would have the proper amount of air in them.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Tire Particulate Pollution is killing us.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Bicycle tires have become really good in the last thirty years. What I’d like to find is a passenger tire with stronger sidewalls but not as hard riding as truck tires. Any recomendations?
    Both auto and bicycle tires have much better tread wear than in the old days. Car tires used to wear out quickly and retreads were common. My Tacoma has over 120,000 miles and on its second set of tires that are still looking good.

I used to get 1-2000 miles out of bicycle tires and now they can go 3x that long. A set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes went close to 10,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow;[URL="tel:6678285"
    6678285[/URL]]Tire Particulate Pollution is killing us.
    I’ve wondered if that’s a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    Both auto and bicycle tires have much better tread wear than in the old days. Car tires used to wear out quickly and retreads were common. My Tacoma has over 120,000 miles and on its second set of tires that are still looking good.

I used to get 1-2000 miles out of bicycle tires and now they can go 3x that long. A set of Schwalbe Marathon Supremes went close to 10,000 miles.
    That Supreme is a funny tire. Gotta be one of the best road/touring tires around but if the psi is a little low it’s squirmy in a weird way as the puncture resistant strip makes half the casing pretty solid but it ends above a very flexible sidewall so that sidewall gets worked a lot. But at the right psi it’s near perfect. I put a Supreme on the rear and a larger Panaracer T-serve on the front and found that gave a good combo of roll, grip, durability and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I’ve wondered if that’s a thing.
    A few lbs of rubber dust here and a few lbs there w a few million cars going a few million miles and it’s a thing

Dang. I’ve been meaning to check the cabin air filters. Not pretty.

That Supreme is a funny tire. Gotta be one of the best road/touring tires around but if the psi is a little low it’s squirmy in a weird way as the puncture resistant strip makes half the casing pretty solid but it ends above a very flexible sidewall so that sidewall gets worked a lot. But at the right psi it’s near perfect. I put a Supreme on the rear and a larger Panaracer T-serve on the front and found that gave a good combo of roll, grip, durability and comfort.
    Interesting you say that, and I agree they like a fair amount of pressure. The thin sidewalls make the tires more comfortable than other high-mileage tires, so it's a tradeoff. With my earlier Supremes, it was the sidewalls (cuts) that finally retired them.

I still use Supremes on the all-purpose bike but like Conti GP 5000s (32 mm) on the most-ridden bike. I'll have to give the T-serve a try next time.

A few lbs of rubber dust here and a few lbs there w a few million cars going a few million miles and it’s a thing
    One of my construction jobs was a high-end condo located on a busy downtown corner with a fair amount of traffic. Several of the condo owners were complaining about sooty dust accumulating inside. We hired an air quality consultant who took samples of the black dust. They concluded it was tire residue.

Look carefully at the "speed rating". They get pretty good at "V" and up

Interesting you say that, and I agree they like a fair amount of pressure. The thin sidewalls make the tires more comfortable than other high-mileage tires, so it's a tradeoff. With my earlier Supremes, it was the sidewalls (cuts) that finally retired them.

I still use Supremes on the all-purpose bike but like Conti GP 5000s (32 mm) on the most-ridden bike. I'll have to give the T-serve a try next time.
    While the Supreme is “better” at twice the cost I like the feel of the T-serve better for a front tire. My commuting set up was a 26”x 1.75 T Serv in the front and 1.6” Supreme in the rear. Never had flats and as fast rolling as I needed while giving the capability to carry heavy loads when needed. On a CrossCheck I had a 700x35 Supreme on the rear and 35mm T Serv in the front. That was the one that low psi really showed weirdness and the sidewalls of the Supreme suffered on bad roads and sharp drops. On a 20” folder I toured on a few times a good combo was a 1.6” Supreme in the rear and 2.0 Big Apple in the front. Comfortable and good rolling combo. This is all utilitarian and commuting as I no longer go really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Look carefully at the "speed rating". They get pretty good at "V" and up
    It’s resistance to sidewall cuts going over 3”-4” sharp drainage rocks that’s the problem.

Don't do that

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Don't do that
    I try not to but that’s the way to grandmas house and the minivan has all the kid/baby seats. That’s why a minivan w more ground clearence is desired.

I have to replace the tires on the Abarth this year. Right before I had my hernia operation I noticed they were beginning to crack. When I checked the date code, they are original to the car (2012)

-Dalai Lama

Get smaller sized wheels with higher profile sidewalls on the tyres.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

lower air pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    And "hello wildly unbalanced wheels". May be fine for Fla and Ca, but in our cold N Illinois winters it would be all too easy for slush to freeze in the spaces close to the ground, making the wheel wildly unbalanced when it freezes and the car needs to go somewhere.
    And here was me thinking of boys with too much time on their hands, wedging rocks in there to give you good vibrations.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

When I was kid in the bush Jimmy Young had a WW1 truck, it never got punctures either…..