Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Biden 2024.

Default Biden 2024.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/11/u...democrats.html

In interviews, dozens of frustrated Democratic officials, members of Congress and voters expressed doubts about the president’s ability to rescue his reeling party and take the fight to Republicans.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-14-2022 at 11:20 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Biden 2024.

*If we're being honest*, the mess President Biden, and the Democrats were handed, has been awful. And they don't really have 'control' of congress - we've got Manchin and Sinema, as skunks in the woodpile (hehehe).

Taken at face value - IMO, President Biden has done a masterful job, addressing what is in essence a $hit$torm. And he's not had a lot of help/support. But I'd also say the 'tides' are against him. And I don't see him running in '24.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I’ve always liked Biden as a senator. But I really wish the Dems could field some dynamic and charismatic young powerhouse for 2024. But barring a health issue with Joe, it probably won’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I’ve always liked Biden as a senator. But I really wish the Dems could field some dynamic and charismatic young powerhouse for 2024. But barring a health issue with Joe, it probably won’t happen.
    why waste a charismatic young powerhouse this go round?

let save that person for 2028

meanwhile there's always the old warhorse. . .

hrc 2024!!!

lets do it up right and run bernie as her vp

we can thusly apease both lw and witom in one go
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Timing is important. Crenshaw has to oversee the final collapse.

I understand the waxed JFK isn't doing anything. Might prove to be a compatible running mate to Biden who will look animated in comparison.

jfk-john-fitzgerald-kennedy-hall-celebrities-expo-madame-tussauds-museum-london-55708236.jpg
    Without friends none of this is possible.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Whoever it is must have the complete backing of the MICC to win. Can’t be too strong on Defense. And entertaining, they need to look good and be entertaining.

Hopium, they have to be able to spread hopium by the truckload.

ohhhhh and drive a Hopium!

Last edited by LeeG; 06-14-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I understand the waxed JFK isn't doing anything. Might prove to be a compatible running mate to Biden who will look animated in comparison.

jfk-john-fitzgerald-kennedy-hall-celebrities-expo-madame-tussauds-museum-london-55708236.jpg
    I dunno.... looks too wooden.....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Yes, it would be better if a decades younger person was the Dem nominee in '24. But you know what would really be better? Having the Dems united behind who they have.

I agree, it's shocking for an 80 year old to be in elected office. I'll say the same about too many in the Senate, as well as whoever might be POTUS. Those jobs aren't entitlements, nor are they unimportant enough to be left to people who've lost a few steps, and frankly are much more likely to be distracted by any number of health issues.

That said.

Haven't you noticed what's going on in Washington just now? The grave and ongoing risk to your whole Constitutional democracy, making headlines every day? 2024 is a crucial Presidential election, which will essentially be waged between people who want to retain your Constitution, and those who are Trumpists, and want to subvert or overthrow it.

Yeah, it would be better if a fiesty person in their 40s or early 50s was an obvious and 100% endorsed Dem choice; that person doesn't exist in this universe just now. Biden's approval ratings are low? Well, why the hell is that, again? Could it be that the group of Trumpists who will never vote for him, will never vote for him? And that the media has been searching for ways to pin negative stories on the Biden administration, even amidst policy successes?

Could it be that Dems need to tell their own stories better? That yeah, THE WORLD is undergoing a resumption of inflation, but THE US HAS UTTERLY UNIMAGINABLE JOB GROWTH despite it? Like, numbers which have never been seen before, ever? Could it be that America's leadership around Ukraine etc. has been staggeringly impressive, rebuilding partnerships with allies who'd been falling away, and creating even more strength in NATO than before?

I simply can't figure out Americans. All this absolute corrupt underneath-a-rock stuff is rolling out about everything associated with the Trump cabal, yet you're convinced that the Dems simply MUST lose the House and Senate in the Fall. Why? Why the F#CK aren't people voting, and voting (as one must in a binary system) for the sole alternative which ISN'T trying to turn America into an authoritarian state?

I mean, sweet Jesus. There isn't an inevitability to it, like some iron law of physics. Why on God's green earth would ANYONE currently vote for anything Trump-ish? Or worse, stay home and not vote at all because it seems so bloody blah blah blah less important than watching Youtube videos about cats.

I'm furious because Constitutional Democracy in America matters. Not only to Americans, and maybe even not MOSTLY to Americans. Grow the F#CK up, and take some personal responsibility for whether your country slides into fascism. Taking the rest of the not-presently-authoritarian world with it.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

All he needed to be was the guy who could beat trump. Having achieved that, we've no further use for him. Moving on.
    What color are their hands now?

Biden has exceeded my expectations and I've become a fan. But somebody else needs to step up for '24.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

What reeling party? What a load of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    why waste a charismatic young powerhouse this go round?

let save that person for 2028

meanwhile there's always the old warhorse. . .

hrc 2024!!!

lets do it up right and run bernie as her vp

we can thusly apease both lw and witom in one go

By all means, please do!
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Ah yes - another trump fan.

Nobody mentioned Kamala Harris. Why is that?

On second thought, never mind.

And 2028 go Joe!

Biden is competent. And that's been a real pleasure.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course

Pat Paulsen, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    agreed, but he's gonna lose and lose bigly, most likely to desantis

Either way, Dem or Repub we’ll double down on empire, weapons and do our best to do nothing to prepare for oil depletion and climate change.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...nergy-climate/

The United States is struggling to squeeze opportunity out of an energy crisis that should have been a catalyst for cleaner, domestically produced power. After decades of putting the climate on the back burner, the country is finding itself unprepared to seize the moment and at risk of emerging from the crisis even more reliant on fossil fuels.

agreed, but he's gonna lose and lose bigly, most likely to desantis
    Then we can all be Florida Man!

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Ah yes - another trump fan.
    Always love this BS. If a person doesn’t like Biden, he must be a trumper. Is all your reasoning this 2 dimensional?
    FWIW (and it ain’t worth much) I voted for Uncle Joe. Frankly I really wish I just stayed away from the poles that day. I mean seriously, we had to choose between those 2 geriatric jokes? 330 million people in the nation and this is as good as we can do?
    I hated them both. Still do, and I hope they both are out of the running come 2024.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

The next president will be from Showbiz, maybe even a rapper. Either that or emperor Putin.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Always love this BS. If a person doesn’t like Biden, he must be a trumper. Is all your reasoning this 2 dimensional?
    FWIW (and it ain’t worth much) I voted for Uncle Joe. Frankly I really wish I just stayed away from the poles that day. I mean seriously, we had to choose between those 2 geriatric jokes? 330 million people in the nation and this is as good as we can do?
    I hated them both. Still do, and I hope they both are out of the running come 2024.
    There is something realy wrong over there, if nobody can find a slightly younger candidate to put up for the next election. It is a vote for the least worst at the moment.
    I can't realy imagine that Trump will run, though he keeps the 'flame' burning (money?) Actually, just his ego, as he 'never loses'.
    Biden is doing a decent job, considering what he was left and the balance in congress.

BTW, hate is a bit strong for people (I assume) you don't actually know.

Am I wrong or will AOC be 35 in 2024 ?
    She was born on October 13, 1989

According to Article II of the U.S. Constitution, the president must be a natural-born citizen of the United States, be at least 35 years old, and have been a resident of the United States for 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Yes, it would be better if a decades younger person was the Dem nominee in '24. But you know what would really be better? Having the Dems united behind who they have.
    It is not age that matters. But the platform does. Regardless of who is president they will have to deal with a Congress of old white men who don't support what the country needs.

Haven't you noticed what's going on in Washington just now? The grave and ongoing risk to your whole Constitutional democracy, making headlines every day? 2024 is a crucial Presidential election, which will essentially be waged between people who want to retain your Constitution, and those who are Trumpists, and want to subvert or overthrow it.
    I think you are wrong. There is a need to overthrow the Constitution to make the changes the population want. (I am much more liberal than most here. And much less optimistic.)
    Life is complex.

I'm puzzled by the opinion expressed by some here that when President Biden came into office he had such a big mess to clean up, and that it partially explains the struggles he's facing now. As surprising as it might seem to some of you, I actually think the country was doing pretty well at the end of the Trump administration. Peace was breaking out in the Middle East, energy prices were low (as was inflation), unemployment, especially for minority groups, was hitting record lows, labor participation rates were climbing, trade deficits were improving, and our southern border was stable. These are all positives, right? During the Trump administration, for the first time in a long time, there were no new wars that started up, we were getting ready to get our troops, citizens, and allies safely out of Afghanistan, and Putin was under control and not about to pull another land grab in the Ukraine like he did in 2014. Looking back to how things were a year and a half ago, what I'm remembering is, we were starting to fix our unfair trade deals with China and Mexico, manufacturing jobs were starting to come back, work on a long anticipated pipeline benefiting Canada and the U.S. was finally starting up again, Iran's path to nuclear weapons was about to be stopped by a new deal or tough new sanctions, and finally, China was about to be nailed for its role in unleashing COVID on the world.

It seems to me it's only in the last year or so that things started heading south, or I'm I missing something? It is unthinkable to me that President Biden, or someone remotely like him, would be re-elected.

Jim

ps I never liked President Trump personally, and he definitely wasn't my first, second, or third choice in the Republican primary, but I ended up agreeing with just about everything he tried to do for our country. I came to admire his energy and determination as well. I honestly think he loves our country and did his best as President. His ego--I could do without.
    Last edited by Dunphy Snipe; 06-14-2022 at 06:26 PM.

i hope you have the courage and stamina to stick around dunphy
    the bilge needs more of what you have to say

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post

Am I wrong or will AOC be 35 in 2024 ?
    She was born on October 13, 1989

According to Article II of the U.S. Constitution, the president must be a natural-born citizen of the United States, be at least 35 years old, and have been a resident of the United States for 14 years.
    Joe, you are so right. AOC will be a major force in American politics, but not this cycle, and perhaps not for several cycles. But I do believe she will kick serious butt in the not too distant future. I don't know if the POTUS office is on her agenda, but it should be.

i hope you have the courage and stamina to stick around dunphy
    the bilge needs more of what you have to say
    Except for the xenophobia, white nationalism, undermining of democratic institutions, disregard and disrespect for expertise whether medical or military, attacks on women’s health, total screw up w Iran / JCPOA and stuffing of the Supreme Court laying the foundation to overturn RoevWade it wasn’t a bad time. Not really. Besides those Covid deaths were mostly old and poor people so fewer of those is a plus.

Paul, I have noticed things are a little one sided here. I'm not sure about the "strength and stamina" though. These are characteristics President Trump had in spades. I can't imagine how he did it--standing up to the constant criticism I mean. Many of you here no doubt think all of it was well deserved, but I think history will tell a different story when it comes to the impeachments and other perceived horrors he is supposed to have committed. As we all know, Hilary and President Biden are not exactly squeaky clean either.

Jim
    Last edited by Dunphy Snipe; 06-14-2022 at 07:08 PM.

I’m glad for Dunphy Snipes contribution, although LeeG has provided some balance. Truth be told, Presidents… ALL Presidents… are the victims of circumstance. I would no more attribute, for example, the low unemployment rate to Trump, than I would attribute the War in Ukraine to Biden. My own take on Biden is that he has done surprisingly well amidst the tsunami of bad luck that has fallen on the country. This recession was virtually guaranteed, as a consequence of not only a near-decade of ‘irrational exuberance’ in the stock market, but the 2020 crash, Covid, the supply and logistics disaster that was primarily a consequence of Covid, and so on.

As for 2024, I am not a tea leaf reader, but I’d bet the house that Trump will not be the GOP nominee… and that DeSantis is the most likely candidate. The Democrats, as I have always said, have committed the crime of not developing a bench of young, appealing candidates… and that’s why I think we are at the beginning of a dark decade in American life.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

LeeG there is a whole lot I could say in response. I'll just take one issue, abortion. In my mind it is not a right--it is not in the constitution--and it is certainly not a "women's health" issue. I feel abortion involves killing an unborn child. Slavery used to be widely accepted in our country--just like abortion is today. Just as views on slavery changed over time, views on abortion are changing too. Maybe there will come a time when statues and portraits of abortion supporters will be torn down just like we are trying to do with anyone who was a former slave holder.

President Trump was pro life, and I appreciated his efforts in this regard. As mentioned, views on abortion are changing. The Democrat proposal that didn't pass in the wake of the supreme court leak would have taken away every federal and state restriction on abortion right up to the moment of birth. Such a position is way out of step with where the country (and the world for that matter) is on abortion. Check out the polling (and the laws in other countries). I'd go so far as to call the official Democrat position on abortion extreme.
    Last edited by Dunphy Snipe; 06-14-2022 at 07:27 PM.