Thread: When to reef?

Default When to reef?

Maybe a little before this pic was taken: Strait of Juan da Fuca, June 13, 2022 VIDEO: U.S. Coast Guard rescues four people on route to Victoria in race to Alaska – Vancouver Island Free Daily

Last edited by JimD; 06-14-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Default Re: When to reef?

Those boats had no business being out in those conditions. Did those conditions develop suddenly or did the boaters ignore the weather forecast?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

race boats...pfffft

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Those boats had no business being out in those conditions. Did those conditions develop suddenly or did the boaters ignore the weather forecast?
    It would seem they knew in advance
    Coast guard vessels were on standby due to the race and remain in the area but most racers have turned back or are taking shelter near Protection Island or Dungeness Spit, on the Washington side of the border.
    A gale warning and a small craft advisory were in effect for the area.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

If you're wondering if you should tuck in a reef you're already late....

Probably should have postponed the start, but everybody was really anxious to go after a two year's hiatus. Probably not the best call by the race committee, but the other side of that coin is that similar (and worse) conditions may have to be endured in Johnstone Strait.

It's good the most challenging wind/sea conditions occured at the very beginning where rescue is virtually guaranteed, so the sailors with more confidence than skills are harmlessly weeded out. Nobody died and Coast Guard got to practice their rescue techniques.

This is, after all, a 'grueling' race, which is a big part of the attraction, for better or worse.

With my boat - “as soon as the idea of reefing occurs”. The boat isn’t going to mind; she can go to windward like the 1970s offshore racer that she is. The crew are another matter.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

The Pt. Townsend to Victoria leg being a qualifier seems to have done its job. A bit harsh perhaps but everyone survived, and a strong message was sent.
    I'm good with the race committee granting an additional 24 hours to get to Victoria.

The sailors that ignored the weather with skills and boats that weren't up to it bother me. This is the sort of irresponsibility that drives onerous rules.
    The point of the race is minimal rules with good seamanship and navigation skills. I don't want to see the event dumbed down.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell