Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinkin' About Ink?

Default Thinkin' About Ink?

Just in case you want to minimize discomfort, here is the Tattoo Pain Chart. Certain areas of the body are more sensitive than others. Males and females are different in this regard.

https://proremarks.com/medical/tattoo-pain-chart/

Tattoos are one of the most often used types of body art worldwide. A 2010 study found that 38 percent of people aged 18 to 29 received tattoos at some time in their lives. ...............

People who are biologically male are more probably than those who are biologically feminine to suffer and cope with pain...........

Pain manifests itself in a variety of ways for each individual. The pain level is affected by the placement of your tattoo as well as your gender. We’ll look at the most and least painful places to get tattooed in this article.
    Most painful according to Tattoo Pain Chart:

Getting a tattoo in a portion of your body with a lot of nerve endings, close to bones with little fat, or where your skin is very thin is likely to be the most painful. The pain in these locations might range from mild to severe.
    Armpit

The armpit is one of, if not the most, painful places to get tattooed. When you are tattooed here, you will experience extreme pain.In fact, the majority of tattoo artists advise against getting armpit tattoos.
    Rib cage

The second most painful component of the process for most people is having a tattoo on their rib cage. ..
    Ankles and shins

Because your ankle bones and shinbones are just beneath thin layers of skin, tattooing these places can be extremely painful. ..
    Nipples and breasts

Because the nipples and breasts are such sensitive places, tattooing them can be exceedingly painful.
    Groin

Tattoo needles have the potential to injure nerve endings in your groyne. The pain here might range from mild to severe.
    Elbows or kneecap

The bones of your elbows and kneecaps are barely beneath the surface of your skin. Tattooing over bone can cause high to severe discomfort due to vibrations.
    Behind the knees

When getting a tattoo on this portion of your body, you may endure considerable discomfort.....
    Hips

Because your hip bones are so close to the surface of your skin, having hip tattoos can be extremely painful. ....
    Neck and spine

Because the neck and spine are such sensitive locations, neck and spine tattoos are renowned to be among the most painful.
    Head, Face, and Ears

Your head, face, and ears, like the neck, have a lot of nerve endings that can be inflamed during a tattoo and cause a lot of pain. ....
    Lips

.... A lip tattoo will almost probably cause excruciating agony, as well as bleeding, swelling, and bruising.
    Hands, Fingers, Feet, and Toes

Tattooing is common on the tops and insides of the hands and feet, as well as the fingers and toes. The discomfort of getting a tattoo on your hands and feet can be excruciating. .....

Stomach

Pain from stomach tattoos can range from mild to severe.

A person with tighter skin over their stomach is more likely to have less pain than someone with looser skin.
    Inner bicep

...Getting a tattoo on your inner bicep can be painful, but it seldom causes serious discomfort.

Tattoos heal more slowly in this area than in other sections of the body.
    Least painful according to Tattoo Pain Chart:

When tattooing, areas that are padded with fat, have tight skin, few nerve endings, and are not next to bones are crucial to reducing the least amount of pain....

According to the Tattoo Pain Chart, the following areas are the least painful:
    Upper outer thigh

...Most people find the upper outer thigh to be one of the least painful sites to receive a tattoo, with pain ranging from mild to moderate.
    Forearm

Your forearms have a lot of muscle and thick skin, but few nerve endings.....
    Outer shoulders

It is one of the least painful locations to get tattooed since the skin on the outside of your shoulders is thick and there are few nerve endings......
    Outer bicep

Because the outside bicep has a lot of muscle but few nerve endings, it’s a great place for a non-painful tattoo. .....
    Calves

Because the calves have a lot of fat and muscle and few nerve endings, calf tattoos are usually not too painful. .....
    Upper and lower back

Because the skin on your upper or lower back is thick and has few nerve endings, getting a tattoo there usually produces low-moderate to moderate pain. .....
    Biological Females:

Biological Males:

Factors that affect pain

Several factors can influence how you experience pain:
    Sex

According to research, women who are naturally female suffer pain more intensely than men. This could be related to physical and chemical variations in the bodies of men and women.

Women, on the other hand, have been proven to be more accepting of suffering than men, according to studies.

However, there is no evidence that women endure more pain than men when receiving tattoos or vice versa.
    Experience

People who have had tattoos may have a higher pressure pain tolerance than those who have never had a tattoo, according to research.
    Age and weight

While there is no evidence to support this, it is plausible that age and weight make tattoos more painful......

What it feels like:

Again, this hasn’t been established scientifically, but among the tattoo community, some sorts of pain are well-known.

When receiving a tattoo, there are a few general sensations that most people experience. .....
    Common Types of Tattoo Pain Include:

Burning pain

The sensation of burning agony is similar to having something extremely hot rubbed against your skin for an extended period of time......

Dull or background pain

This, according to tattoo experts, is the best type of pain you may experience while getting a tattoo.

When the needle starts buzzing and the sharp prick of the needle first strikes your skin, your body reacts by creating stress chemicals like adrenaline. These hormones dampen the pain, making it seem like a dull aching in the background...........

Scratching pain

The most typical sensation experienced after receiving a tattoo is scratching discomfort. .....
    Sharp or stinging pain

Many tiny bee stings can be used to describe sharp or stinging pain. .....

.....Tattoo blowout can be avoided by hiring a skilled tattoo artist and avoiding tattooing on very thin skin.
    Vibrating pain

When getting tattooed in an extremely bony area, such as these, you may experience vibrating pain:

• Outer wrist
    • Elbows
    • Ribs
    • Ankles

How to minimize pain:

Here are some suggestions for reducing tattoo pain:

• When you’re having problems dealing with the pain, ask your tattoo artist to take a break.
    • Choose a tattoo artist with a lot of expertise. Insist on seeing their certification and inspecting their gear before hiring them. Your tattoo artist should always use sterilised equipment and wear clean gloves.
    • If you’re having a tattoo on your stomach, don’t eat before you get it.

• To prevent pain and the chance of issues once your tattoo is finished, follow the aftercare recommendations, which include washing your tattoo, wearing loose clothing over it, and applying ointment and moisturiser.
    • Before getting a tattoo, make sure you’ve had enough rest....
    • For your tattoo, stay sober....
    • Keep yourself moisturised to keep your skin supple and tight, which will help to lessen the pain of a tattoo.
    • On lessen the amount of pain you suffer, apply a numbing cream to your skin before receiving your tattoo...

Things to consider:

Tattoos may take minutes to hours to apply on your skin, yet they are permanent. ....

Consider the following before getting a tattoo:

1. Infections, colour allergies, scarring, and blood-borne infections are potential concerns.
    2. whether you’ll come to regret the tattoo design.
    3. whether your tattoo’s appearance will alter if you gain weight or become pregnant.
    4. the site of your tattoo, as well as whether or not you want to be able to cover it up with clothing.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Default Re: Thinkin' About Ink?

Not me. What lot of info, though. Does this mean YOU are considering some ink?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

At my age I'd have to get a tattoo of a contour map or the Dakota Badlands and it'd be like those molded maps where the contours are real.

Thinkin' about Ink?
    Errrmmm, . . .

No.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Darling DIL came home this afternoon with the beginnings of her latest. Babies are Rowan and Willow, so she's having both trees intertwined on her forearm --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Never seen the point of something so useless.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

My nephew is a quite skilled tattoo artist in Southern California / conversely, even after 12 years in the Navy, I have NO tattoos on my body, and likely never will.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

somebody should get the pain chart actually tattooed on their body.

not me, one of you guys should do it.

Considerably more than I really wanted to know . .

but y'all go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    Considerably more than I really wanted to know . .

but y'all go for it.

I might consider a proper crossing the line tattoo. If/When I cross the line.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Years back a certain monthly rag owned by Larry Flynt featured a photo of a Gent with a tattoo spelling out Lollypop. Chit like that.....

Tom

My buddy who did all my tattoos reckoned the hardest part was holding me in the chair while he worked They all hurt, and when you're thin I reckon they hurt more. I have friends who can sleep through getting inked, and I also know people who have unfinished work because they couldn't handle the pain. I'd get more if I could afford it- ain't gonna happen. I paid for all my tats with loads of firewood off my farm- don't have any to trade on this place. JayInOz

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I'm not a procrastinator by and large.
    But every time i think - yeah, i'd tattoo that - a few days later i'd think - what were you thinking!

The only idea that ever kinds stuck was having Olive Oil (Popeye's girlfriend) tattooed on my inside arm. I couldn't do my own girl friend cause of the classic scenario, so I pick someone else's.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

There is going to be some really ugly ink around as some of the younger generation age and get saggy. I'm so glad that I was never dumb enough to get any tats, which at the time probably seemed like they would be really cool, and now would be totally pointless.

^^^^ My son is thinking about opening a Tattoo Removal bidnez. That "38%" figure mentioned above is absolutely NUTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    There is going to be some really ugly ink around as some of the younger generation age and get saggy. I'm so glad that I was never dumb enough to get any tats, which at the time probably seemed like they would be really cool, and now would be totally pointless.

Todd not everyone who got tattoos in the past thinks it was dumb. Dumb is spending a s###ton of money on a wooden boat, putting it in water and then trying to maintain it faster than it rots for years until you give up and sell it to somebody else with a romantic notion- tell 'em to get a tattoo instead- the pain from that is less- and temporary JayInOz

For myself, I get why some want to put pictures or words or just decoration on their self. It's their self, and it's the one thing in the entire world that any one self can know with certainty that no one can take it away. Your self is yours to do with as you, and only you, see fit. And expressing yourself is also a most common urge among us. But what about a nice T-shirt instead? That way, when you get sober or someone else inspires your urge to express, you don't have to have surgery to keep up with your own choices.

As a matter of personal taste, I wouldn't have one for myself. I don't even wear T-shirts with printing. No pictures, no words, no artful designs, not even common patterns. And not just T's, I don't wear anything but plain solid colors. I have other ways to express myself. And I like what I look like au naturel. More, I like what those who I am intimate with look like sans words or pictures or colorful designs, when sans apparel.

My exception to my rule was being in uniform, with insignia of rank and branch of service and name, and the only reason it was okay is because everyone else had to do exactly the same for exactly the same, non-self-expression reasons, and it is a venerable tradition. I almost always wear a hat while outside, a habit reinforced by my time with uniforms. But I never wear one with anything but hat on it, same rules as for all the rest of my apparel. I also never put anything in the way of visual messaging on my vehicles. If and when I want to express myself while driving, I'll wait to speak with whomever after parking and walking up with my persuader, if that's necessary.

Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles. Make a lot of noise, but keep it down and don't reveal anything that could be used against you by anyone against you.

Same with piercing. Your body is yours and yours alone, even when married for life to a soulmate, and clothing, including hats, are excellent alternatives to having a foreign object attached to your self. And hard items plugged into your hide is a danger and a potential hygiene issue. And having personal keepsakes is one of the reasons to own a box or two. Everyone needs a box or two anyway, you might as well have one for the keepsakes that would otherwise be pegged or tagged or looped or whatever to your whatever.

As an artist, and having had a more or less career as a graphic designer, I can appreciate the challenge of using the shape and volume of a human organism for graphic ideas, but personally, as a designer, it's a *shirtshow compared to a nice newspaper or magazine page, or a poster or a website or a coffee table book, or even a vehicle, come to that.
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 06-14-2022 at 06:22 AM.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

scars beat tats

I seriously considered a tat once.

Slopped a panful of hot bacon grease up onto my right hand. In the web between thumb and forefinger, there was a bright red splash-pattern burn. Dermatologist said it would scar badly and end up almost that bright red. So I figured I'd turn it into a Flame (think Big Daddy Roth) which tapered off just above my wrist - where the burn ended.

In the end, that burn healed so well, the scar is barely visible, and not at all red. There went my excuse for a tat.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I think it's kind of like having a favorite song. It may be your favorite now, but it may not be ten or twenty years from now, so do you really want a saggy, faded image of it permanently etched on your body? Kind of a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Speaking of body alterations, this image popped up in an ad at the bottom of my forum page. It's supposed to be a toenail clipper. One wrong move with that thing and you can change your handle to "Billy Nine Toes". Yikes! This babe looks like she is planning on using it on something else.....

ouch.jpg

I see some kids with a lot of ink and think that somewhere in there should be a tat that says "Dumb Idea"...

Funny how those without tattoos are so upset by those with them.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    I see some kids with a lot of ink and think that somewhere in there should be a tat that says "Dumb Idea"...
    I'd agree that youngsters give too little weight in their ink decisions on whether they'll be happy with the images, or the message, in 30 or 50 years.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Thats why I waited til I was old. Mine will still look good when I cross the bar....not that anyone can see them less I'm in nothin but skivvies

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Thats why I waited til I was old. Mine will still look good when I cross the bar....not that anyone can see them less I'm in nothin but skivvies
    Ya went with the tramp stamp, eh? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

No. I'm already ugly.

If I were of a mind akin to the skin in Spin_Drift's post, I'd rather put something like this, from Winslow Homer, than a faked up Japanesey garden with winged serpents and athletic shoes among the blossoms:

Or maybe this one, by Mazfield Parrish, that I've got a print of on my wall above this desk:

I still have to wonder, if I were getting one on my back, where I can only see it if I crane my neck in front of a large mirror, it must then be for others to gaze upon, and even then, they can only see it in my rearview mirror, as it were. Hardly a conversation starter or cocktail party ice-breaker. Fit only for lying in the sun on the beach or in the park, and then you'll need to wonder why those kids are pointing to ask, "Mommy, what's wrong with that man? Why does he have a picture on his back? Is he afraid of people seeing his front? Does he know he's naked even though he don't look like it? He must have a tiny shlong. Momma, what a shlong, and is a tiny one good?"

Where's Ishmael when there are so many questions?
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

I have never been interested in tattoos… but while in Las Vegas, and on a whim, I got one on my arm. It says:

”Born to be Mild”

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I have never been interested in tattoos… but while in Las Vegas, and on a whim, I got one on my arm. It says:

”Born to be Mild”

I'm sorry.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Default Thinkin' About Ink?

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I'd agree that youngsters give too little weight in their ink decisions on whether they'll be happy with the images, or the message, in 30 or 50 years.

Like we all end up so attractive with our loose, wrinkly, liver spotted old age skin anyway?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Breakaway; 06-16-2022 at 09:40 AM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    I don’t have any, and don’t care if other people do. With that said, most look ridiculous, in the same way as over-puffed lips, or over-stuffed boob do. Or muscle bound people that can’t bend over. Or 32 piercings in the face. I don’t care what people do to themselves and in return, I hope they don’t care if I laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    I don’t have any, and don’t care if other people do. With that said, most look ridiculous, in the same way as over-puffed lips, or over-stuffed boob do. Or muscle bound people that can’t bend over. Or 32 piercings in the face. I don’t care what people do to themselves and in return, I hope they don’t care if I laugh.
    artif... take a bow <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Not upset at all - my daughter has a few ( you can't even imagine the dialog when she went swimming at her grandfather's pool, and he first spied the early one ), and my nephew, the tattoo artist ( his work is really excellent), depends on them for his livlihood.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post

I reckon with a little more work Decourcy you'd make a most excellent arsehole. JayInOz