Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2022 R2AK - does anybody care?

Default Re: 2022 R2AK - does anybody care?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Sooner or later this race will produce dead bodies. Having made the trip from Seattle to Sitka I can attest that this stretch of water ain't no place for noob wanna bees looking for a participation trophy.
    I watched the news footage of the Coast Guard helicopter lifting these guys in baskets. They were blue and scared and violently shaking from hypothermia. Another ten minutes would have been bad. I agree, this annual event will end with a body at some point.

In the ‘60s, a local DJ organized a dinghy derby in the ship canal through the locks and into the Sound at Shilshole. I participated for two years as some 300 homemade rafts were crammed into the locks with all manner of unsafe features. The city finally put a stop to it so they moved it to the Cedar River until someone drowned.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I watched the news footage of the Coast Guard helicopter lifting these guys in baskets. They were blue and scared and violently shaking from hypothermia. Another ten minutes would have been bad. I agree, this annual event will end with a body at some point.

In the ‘60s, a local DJ organized a dinghy derby in the ship canal through the locks and into the Sound at Shilshole. I participated for two years as some 300 homemade rafts were crammed into the locks with all manner of unsafe features. The city finally put a stop to it so they moved it to the Cedar River until someone drowned.

One of the entrants in the "Proving Ground" was a Laser. It had been rigged so as to be reefable, but I still wouldn't want to be 10 miles offshore in the Straits when it's nasty out in a Laser.

She is, I believe, back in Port Townsend, and DNF.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Yeah, in Port Townsend. Until you round Point Wilson and see the real conditions. Been there done that.

Ditto.

It's all la, la, la, la . . . Until you turn the corner at Point Wilson, and Boom!, you're suddenly on your ear.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Sooner or later this race will produce dead bodies. Having made the trip from Seattle to Sitka I can attest that this stretch of water ain't no place for noob wanna bees looking for a participation trophy.

The first year Roger Mann came close. He was in rough water near a lee shore. There was a failure of the boat followed by a failure of his dry suit. One more in the chain might have turned out badly.

What boggles me is that this year the race organizers now give racers the option of going OUTSIDE, i.e. face the Pacific. I think that would be nutsburgers, but hey my racing days are far behind me.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

https://www.vicnews.com/news/us-coas...g-to-victoria/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    What boggles me is that this year the race organizers now give racers the option of going OUTSIDE, i.e. face the Pacific. I think that would be nutsburgers, but hey my racing days are far behind me.
    There are quite a few 30+ ft monohulls and bigger multis that might do better on the outside. No tidal currents, probably steadier winds, easier navigation.

A friend of mine told me that last night. All the way up the west coast of Vancouver Island, a lee shore, to Alaska?

Maybe, in a well-found big boat, set up well for offshore racing, but in a small boat? As you say: "nutsburgers".

Not for nothing is that coast known as the "graveyard of the Pacific".

Several sailors in Race to Alaska rescued, out of race

The Associated Press
    The Associated Press
    SEATTLE (AP) — Four participants in an annual marine race from Washington state to Alaska were rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard Monday when some of the contestants' sailboats capsized.
    Event organizers said in a statement that the occupants on seven boats had dropped out of the race by 1 p.m. because of rough waters across the Strait of Juan de Fuca northwest of Seattle, KOMO-TV reported.
    Three contestants were hoisted from the water by the U.S. Coast Guard and one was rescued by a boat operated by race organizers. All four people rescued were taken to a hospital after showing signs of hypothermia, KING-5 reported.
    The Coast Guard said the remaining participants on Monday took shelter near Protection Island, Dungeness Spit or returned to land. A Coast Guard patrol boat remained in the area and was ready to respond. One photo tweeted by the Coast Guard showed a yellow catamaran sailboat that had flipped over.
    The event is in its sixth year and draws contestants from across the country with a goal of being first to get from Port Townsend, Washington, to Ketchikan, Alaska, on a non-motorized vessel that is completely self-supported.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...laska-rescued/
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Outside can be easier in a bigger boat than dealing with Seymore Narrows and Johnstone Strait. Here's a shot of the Hobie 33 in the Strait from the first year's race (website photo):
    Hobie 33 Johnstone Strait.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    A friend of mine told me that last night. All the way up the west coast of Vancouver Island, a lee shore, to Alaska?

Maybe, in a well-found big boat, set up well for offshore racing, but in a small boat? As you say: "nutsburgers".

Not for nothing is that coast known as the "graveyard of the Pacific".

Just to be clear - it's not Vancouver's West coast that's given that appellation - though it starts up there. And then stretches all the way down the Washington coast to the central coast of Oregon and Killamook Bay. Some beautiful territory, but unforgiving during one of the frequent storms. Very few places to duck for shelter. Best is to stand way off, and ride it out. We know that now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graveyard_of_the_Pacific

Over 2,000 vessels known lost in that stretch, and over 700 lives lost. And while a good chunk of them were in and around the Straight of Juan de Fuca... the largest concentration was around the mouth of the Columbia.

Last edited by David G; 06-14-2022 at 07:36 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Outside can be easier in a bigger boat than dealing with Seymore Narrows and Johnstone Strait. Here's a shot of the Hobie 33 in the Strait from the first year's race (website photo):
    Hobie 33 Johnstone Strait.jpg
    oooo, wind streaky water. Great shot.

There is a gaggle of boats headed towards Victoria, winds are still out of the NW but in the 5-15 knot range (currently about 6).

Dark Star is moving in the right direction at 2kn with 5.11nm to go.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I think there were too many pieces of the program moving to simply postpone the start. The night before the start a decision was made to add 24 hours to the 36 allotted for race to Victoria which is more or less equivalent to postponing for a day. Did some skippers over estimate their capabilities? Yes, but a bunch of boats also made it across the Straits. Others made the decision to wait out the system and are crossing in relatively benign conditions today.

I've met the organizers, they are good people who put a lot of energy all year round towards supporting the boating community. The last thing they want is a bad outcome but they also make it very clear that you are ultimately responsible for your own safety.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    I think there were too many pieces of the program moving to simply postpone the start. The night before the start a decision was made to add 24 hours to the 36 allotted for race to Victoria which is more or less equivalent to postponing for a day. Did some skippers over estimate their capabilities? Yes, but a bunch of boats also made it across the Straits. Others made the decision to wait out the system and are crossing in relatively benign conditions today.

I've met the organizers, they are good people who put a lot of energy all year round towards supporting the boating community. The last thing they want is a bad outcome but they also make it very clear that you are ultimately responsible for your own safety.
    Yeah, I count Jake Beattie as a friend, but I don't think you should let the program push you into starting the race in unsafe conditions. And you shouldn't put the Coast Guardsmen at risk for your race.

Welp, the race from Victoria to Ketchikan started earlier today, and I see by the race tracker that absolutely nobody has opted for the offshore route as far as I can tell.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

It actually looks like three boats are taking the outside route…

E3619E28-8555-4C6F-8189-34E57BD7A2C8.jpg

Looking at Windy app I don’t see how the outside route will have favorable winds, but of course I am no expert…

Soverell 33, Flying Tiger 33 and a Riptide 44. All should do well even in light air if it's not too choppy. Rhys Balmer (Team Elsewhere...Soverell 33) is a pretty competitive racer. I know he's done the Oregon Offshore in a Merit 25 before so outside is no stranger to him.

Hah. Welp, good luck to them.

Meanwhile, a two-woman rower is in the lead heading through the islands inside.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

I expected the big cats to try the outside route. They seem to be a tight group, judging by the party they were having the night before the start.
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

Shear Water Madness has a neat looking boat! 28' cat ketch. Looks to be maybe strip planked? Like to find out more about that one

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Evidently a lot of log debris etc in the inside passage, some more boats had to drop out after suffering impact damage.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM