Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 years of accumulated junk in the basement

Default 44 years of accumulated junk in the basement

Before:

After:

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: 44 years of accumulated junk in the basement

That didn’t look like much. I could see the walls and around the furnace.

Progress!

I see an office back there.

It's a big job, for sure.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I like it any time I can see floor space

is there a spare tidetracker down there?

can i get one for posterity's sake??
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I'm sweaty, hot and thirsty just looking at these photos

My buddy is doing it with a 2,600 sqr ft home in Amesbury that he and his kids grew up in for over 20 years. He's got 30 days to clear basement to attic.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

It's a little deceiving.. the photos, I mean. Buried under the top junk were contractor bags full to the brim, and extremely heavy... and you can't see the moldy suitcases, bags of worn out clothing, piles of books, all tied up, etc. I used 1-800-GOT-JUNK for this job. They're expensive, but they show up on time and do the heavy lifting. The file cabinet, especially, was one of those old school pieces that weighed a ton... the two guys did a lot of grunting and sweating to get THAT piece out.

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near done. I've got a garage attic full of junk, and an old garden shed full of junk. Those will have to wait a few weeks, but I'll probably use a WM Bagster for that stuff.... once again, expensive, but convenient.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    is there a spare tidetracker down there?

can i get one for posterity's sake??
    Hahahaha... actually, I have only one Tidetracker in my possession. I thought I had saved a couple of the Mark II versions, but I can't find them now.

I recently ran across the schematic, while cleaning out my basement room. I have to laugh... these days, it could all be done with a single $3 chip. Back in 1992, it took about 7 chips, plus discrete transistors, resistors, caps, a crystal, etc.

I recently cleaned out my 30 sqm apartement. Took me two days and I had no Idea I had so much stuff, and that it could all fit in there!
    Ragnar B.

wait thirty days and go back down. There will be stuff there. Dont know where it comes from but every time I clear out my basement, it refills automatically.

My wife has a lot of junk, i dont have any.....

My shop is in similat condition. I have no idea where all my tools will go as I will not have room for all of them. Then there's book that no one wants, 14 pond yachts, a wooden canoe……. I'll probably find room for the Kayak…….

That really isn't much.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

In August I'm off to Western Australia to sort out my brother's shed. As for my shed, well I keep telling Kerry it's all really useful stuff.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Reminds me of 11 years ago when we had to clear out 32 years' worth of stuff out of our house before moving to Vermont.
    Fun times!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

A basement!
    Poor bastard.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    A basement!
    Poor bastard.
    R
    I wish I HAD one It's a great refuge for those 80+ weather days!

Norman, I was about to invite you down to help set my garage to rights - but I guess I should just hire it done. . . . Looks like you are making great progress ! ! !

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Sue tells me we are moving to a townhouse soon, A nightmare announcement. I have a 1550 square foot shed to clean out. Gypsy has seen it. I'm not sure I have the strength or the energy to do the job. I feel foe you Norman.

Sue tells me we are moving to a townhouse soon, A nightmare announcement. I have a 1550 square foot shed to clean out. Gypsy has seen it. I'm not sure I have the strength or the energy to do the job. I feel foe you Norman.<br><br>

We are moving too, Barney… to a new house in an over-55 development. Two bedrooms, a sunroom, beautiful deck, and finally, a two car garage. It won’t be built until March of 2023, but I figure that it will take me 10 months to clear out all the clutter and crap we have accumulated over 44 years in this house. The basement is only the first step 😀

Six years ago, we cleaned out my inlaws' after 35 years habitation by two Depression-era throw nothing away parents and their packrat son.

The full size dumpster in the yard was a good start.

I just closed my downtown office, which was not huge. The furniture was given or hauled away.

I am shocked at the amount of office supplies I accumulated. I would guess there are 1000s of envelopes for example
    Last edited by Bobcat; 06-11-2022 at 10:51 AM.
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

It was interesting cleaning out my mom and dad’s stuff from their respective homes. Dad had family junk he could not part with or give to family in three storage spaces while living in a one bedroom assisted living apt and mom kind of pre-stripped unused stuff before moving up to Berkeley to live near me and my sister. My vote is get rid of the crrap before someone else has to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Six years ago, we cleaned out my inlaws' after 35 years habitation by two Depression-era throw nothing away parents and their packrat son.

The full size dumpster in the yard was a good start.

I just closed my downtown office, which was not huge. The furniture was given or hauled away.

I am shocked at the amount of office supplies I accumulated. I would guess there are 1000s of envelopes for example
    Yeah, much better to lighten the load bit by bit so stuff gets used longer before hitting the landfill.

My inlaws threw nothing away and turned nothing down if it was cheap or free. I think any ball point pen that wasn't chained down came home with my father in law. There was a bucket of them, more than enough for three households over three lifetimes, but, what the hell, they were free!

As for the office supplies, my staff over the years just ordered new stuff without checking to see what we already had.
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

When it came time to move my mother from an apartment in Chicago to assisted- living in Minnesota , we cleared out her apartment - she had a 17 drawer 'high-boy' dresser - - - every single drawer was filled with newspaper clippings - no room for clothes

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Happy your saying "we" brother.

Not far behind you friend... good luckl.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

I had thought someone my buy our home in Montclair because of the shop in the basement. Didn't work that way. I had to get rid of all the machines.

Several museums wanted the lathe, the big drill press, and a few others, but they wouldn't come and get them. Ended up all going for scrap. That was not an easy thing to do. We also had to take the tower down, as it was not safe to sit under. Daughter and I did that when mom was in the hospital for a week. We didn't tell her, and she never noticed.

It broke my heart to get rid of that shop, but I couldn't afford to stay there.

My old friend is having no luck with his giant Wurlitzer, so I'm not sure if it has a future.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

I sympathize. I cleared out my house of 33 years which had accumulated so much stuff. It's amazing how fast it all accumulates. Got it all empty and ready for sale in one month. As a result I now need rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders.

In addition to all the 'stuff' in my garage and on the surrounding shelves, I currently have 3 4' x 8' lofts (full of stuff) and 2 more lofts 'New In Box' in case I might need them . . . Do you suppose I might have a problem . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    In addition to all the 'stuff' in my garage and on the surrounding shelves, I currently have 3 4' x 8' lofts (full of stuff) and 2 more lofts 'New In Box' in case I might need them . . . Do you suppose I might have a problem . . . ?
    My Friend....We all have a problem....It's called being men who "Do Stuff" and we see a value in old stuff, in old skills and a mind blowing beauty and pleasure in making things. And if you are lucky, very lucky, we have partners who shamelessly enable us.

Long may it happen.

Is this like "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"?

Yesterday I was standing in my shop busy conjuring up some magic to make happen, when a guy I was expecting showed up to hand me an envelope.

The old guy down the block on the corner across the street from the grandkid's house recently passed after a long hospice at home. We'd been acquaintances from years ago when he would walk by the house and come sit on the porch to pet our dog and while away the time. He was half a generation older than me and grew up on a farm-ranch nearby. We attended a memorial and I met his son. My Wife was a friend and had been paying his landscape maintenance person to show up once a week, and the son, my age, came by with a check for Her.

While he was standing there and we chatted, he made a remark about my shop and how packed it was with tools and equipment and suggested I need a much larger space for it all. As if my shop being packed would be any reason to pack up and move to a larger place.

And that was his segue to pointing out to me that his dad had a buncha old stuff in his garage including old tools and that all of it would have to be got rid of one way or another, and he was encouraging me to come down and have a look and maybe cart some of it down here, and put it... somewhere.

And I told him that I was on the far end of the curve, nearer the end than the beginning, and that I was already divesting myself and my garage-shop of stuff that needs to have a new home, those things I've owned and harbored and looked at and moved out of the way, over and over, over the years. We had a brief interchange about the value of a quality tool and the supposed benefit of continuing to pass on such a thing for which there now exist dirt cheap battery operated versions, for sale in the big boxes, all of which will also have to be brought to someone's garage shop and then eventually be disposed of as well.

I recounted how one day his father and I had had a mock sales negotiation haggling moment when I learned he had a big old anvil from the ranch, in his garage, and I offered him a ridiculously low, garage sale type price for it. It suddenly occured to me that that anvil might still be there and that I might actually get it after all, free just for carting it off. He told me I could just have it, as his need was more to empty the building to get it ready to sell, rather than to make a buck selling the stuff. All I have to do is mosey down there and have a look around, and come back with whatever strikes my fancy. I offered to give him a heads up if anything I spotted could be sold fairly easily for a price that would make it worthwhile.

Now I'm wondering what I'll do with my old chunk of railroad non-rail cast iron hardware I keep on hand for an anvil when I need one.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Jim, the guy we bought our Minnesota home from (actually from his daughter) left me a 3' section of railroad rail - which he was using as an anvil. When we downsized and moved 15 years later, I could not justify loading it into the moving van and paying to move it down here. I, therefore, generously passed it down to the new owner.

Rick