Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renee Got a Vespa Upgrade.

Default Renee Got a Vespa Upgrade.

So with my buddy moving here he's excited to join the SoCal lifestyle he even bought a Vespa
    a 2022 San Giorni classic 300 Vespa

So Renee was concerned that if we all go out riding together she won't be able to keep up on her 150 Sprint Vespa

OriginalPhoto-562022196.020193.jpg

So I bought her a brand new 2022 GTS SUPER 300 HPE GIALLO ESTATE

IMG_3279.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

The 150 is up for sale on various selling sites.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Renee Got a Vespa Upgrade.

That is a nice shade of Giallo!
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Why not electric, joe?

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I find the headlight location on that Sei Giorni rather odd. Why so low?

I do like the one you got for Renee.
    It's a historical bike.

Paying homage to the glorious days of the original Vespa Sport “Sei Giorni”, built for the 1951 edition of the Sei Giorni Internazionale (6-Day International) in Varese, Italy, where the two-wheeled legend scooped 9 gold medals, this modern-day version fuses technology and a passion for travel with an authentic slice of Vespa sporting history.

The origins of a legend
    The year was 1951 and the Piaggio Squadra Corse astonished the racing world, triumphing over real off-road motorbikes in one of the hardest and most prestigious competitions: the Sei Giorni Internazionale which was held in Varese.

The Vespa “Sei Giorni” which took its name from that victory, was very similar to the standard model aesthetically, differing primarily with its larger fuel tank, the more streamlined shield and the larger right side bag. That Sei Giorni model is one of the most legendary in the history of Vespa and it is now highly sought after by collectors

It's actually interesting it turns with the front tire.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    Why not electric, joe?
    Because the Vespa Elettrica is about $8,000.

It tops out at 70 km/h (43 mph). You can save $500 bucks or so by getting the lower cost model, but that's capped at 45 kh/h (28 mph).

[Advertised] range is only about 100 km (62 miles).

In comparison, that retro Sei Giorni 300 is about $7,700. It tops out about 80 mph or so (there's a rev limiter that kicks in somewhere in the low- to mid-80s.) about 75-80 mpg with a 2.2 gallon tank, so a range of better than 150 miles.

The GTS 300 is $500 cheaper than the Sei Giorni and the specs are pretty much identical.
    Last edited by Nicholas Carey; 06-10-2022 at 01:57 PM.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

It tops out at 70 km/h (43 mph). You can save $500 bucks or so by getting the lower cost model, but that's capped at 45 kh/h (28 mph).

[Advertised] range is only about 100 km (62 miles).

In comparison, that retro Sei Giorni 300 is about $7,700. It tops out about 80 mph or so (there's a rev limiter that kicks in somewhere in the low- to mid-80s.) about 75-80 mpg with a 2.2 gallon tank, so a range of better than 150 miles.

The GTS 300 is $500 cheaper than the Sei Giorni and the specs are pretty much identical.
    We don't need limits, so we removed the limiter

that retro Sei Giorni 300 ... tops out about 80 mph or so
    80 on that thing? For braver souls than myself.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    80 on that thing? For braver souls than myself.

Actually they are very safe they come with ABS and traction controle and are very comfortable and the suspension soaks up the bumps smoothly. I've briefly done 80+ mph freeways miles with mine, but generally we are doing 45-50 - ( A lot of 35mph cruising ) mph on back country roads. It's more about the pleasure of riding not going fast.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 06-11-2022 at 11:31 AM.

You could have done worse. She could have gotten a husband upgrade.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    We don't need limits, so we removed the limiter

How was it installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    You could have done worse. She could have gotten a husband upgrade.
    This is why I'm glad she has no interest in posting or reading the WBF

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    How was it installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Its factory set the Vespa Dealer we bought from in San Diego has a YouTube famous mechanic - "Robot" he de-limited it

[QUOTE=Nicholas Carey;6675246]Because the Vespa Elettrica is about $8,000.

The big problem is that, despite the urgency to produce less CO2, we will continue to burn petroleum as long as itís cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    That is a nice shade of Giallo!
    They call it mellow giallo.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    They call it mellow giallo.
    So Renee's old Sprint 150 was a very specific Giallo Positano yellow that particular color is a bit more mustard and has a little metal flake in it. It's only used in three vehicles : Vespa Piago's, Fiat, and Ferrari. The new vespa is just strait yellow.

HipstamaticPhoto-527809162.188502.jpg

I love bikes but I despair when I see lovely uncovered legs like that. I've lost plenty of skin over the years and that's WITH proper riding gear !

Quote Originally Posted by twist View Post
    I love bikes but I despair when I see lovely uncovered legs like that. I've lost plenty of skin over the years and that's WITH proper riding gear !
    In all fairness we probably don't go much faster than my old bike racing days and only on quiet back roads, and she still shaves her legs I no longer do

“Bike racing days” = 20 to 25 mph?
    ”Quiet back roads” = asphalt or concrete?
    That could easily equate to major skin grafts.
    Just sayin’
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Just sayin’

I see people on scooters all the time with zero protection outside of the required helmet.

I just think, "You've never taken a dive on asphalt T any speed faster than a slow jog."
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The 150cc scooters just don’t have quite enough oomph. We’ve got a Buddy 150 and it just can’t compare with the Scarabeo 200s.

The new scoot looks great. We gear up on the scooters. Full face helmet, boots, armored jackets, gloves, long pants at least, usually armored riding pants over. Of course it’s not that hot here.

Some people say - oh, we don’t go that fast. But how fast is the drunk texter going when they crash into you?

All the gear all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Just sayin’
    Boken femur
    Broken Clavical
    Broken wrist
    Punctured Lung
    lots and lots of road rash

All from cycling back roads and races.

Oh and I once clocked 72 MPH dropping into the Hoover Dam on 18mm Continental sew ups.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    The 150cc scooters just don’t have quite enough oomph. We’ve got a Buddy 150 and it just can’t compare with the Scarabeo 200s.

The new scoot looks great. We gear up on the scooters. Full face helmet, boots, armored jackets, gloves, long pants at least, usually armored riding pants over. Of course it’s not that hot here.

Some people say - oh, we don’t go that fast. But how fast is the drunk texter going when they crash into you?
    this is so important and to blow it off may suggest one is not ready to ride. The fact that you busted your arm not that long ago should make you hyper vigilant and AGATT.

Cute Renee needs a full face helmet, jacket, gloves, Kevlar pants and proper riding shoes. If anything should happen because she does not, your world could turn upside down
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Yea

So this to ride 35mph on the backroads to the beach on a 105 deg summer day AWESOM , and some of you might still have a problem.
    I would rather drive my Tesla 70 mph on the freeway with the AC on and pay for valet parking

Ridiculous photo, Joe. We aren’t suggesting a full on race suit. Just because you are riding at 35mph doesn’t mean the person coming at you isn’t going 75. Plus upgrading from the 150 to the 300 so she can keep up with the faster scoots kinda blows that argument out of the water.

If someone is coming at me at 70mpg and I'm on a vespa I could be wearing a brick wall and it would have the same result - RIP Joe
    As they say there are only two kinds of bike accidents one you walk away from and one you don't.

Ok I'm open someone please give me an appropriate safety attire for a 20 mile vespa ride in 100+ heat at 30-50mph on back roads with plenty of stop and go brutally hot traffic lights ? Then change for beach attire and somehow store all this other gear.

not all problems have solutions. sometimes all you can do is ask a different question.

you pays your money and you takes your chances.

i know a guy who in his mid-fifties went to the e.r. after falling at less than 10mph while traversing train tracks. wearing full helmet, jacket, boots and gloves.

I don’t care what people do, so long as they are aware of the risks. I wear perforated leather pants and a vented fabric jacket in summer. Always boots because most injuries on bikes are actually foot and ankle. Always a full face because I like my face as it is. As long as Renee is aware of the risk, she can do what she wants. But if she gets hurt, it’s on her.

yes, always boots, covering and supporting the ankle. anything less skeeves me out.

I'd venture to say that she's not even safe in the OP photo and she's not even moving.

Parked on the side of the road and that 17 year old kid traveling on her side of the street in Daddy's two and a half ton Escalade with a couple of months driving experience and feelings of invincibility is bombing down the road 15 or 20 over the posted speed limit on his way over to his girlfriend's house, diverts his eyes and attention on the road, hormones raging, thrilled at what awaits at the end of his trip, and sends ol Susie Rautenkrotch a text that he's on his way and he drifts rightward.

Bring a mop and sponge and don't forget the crying towel. Big, fast moving walls of steel against human skulls often produces a result that give the struck an appearance much like the head on the Great Gazoo on the Flintstones. DAMHIKT it ain't pretty. I'm with Ted H on this one.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

[QUOTE=phiil;6675372]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post

The big problem is that, despite the urgency to produce less CO2, we will continue to burn petroleum as long as it’s cheaper
    oh hell we’ll burn oil to make more expensive electric transportation.

I always like Vespa's. They're cute. Never owned one, as they seem ill-suited to my driving habits. Had a girlfriend for a while who moved from San Francisco to Eugene by giving away everything she owned except for packing one daypack, and rode her Vespa up the coast to Oregon. After a few months, she sold the Vespa and got a small nondescript road bike (Yamaha 350?) so she could keep up with me on our outings. Took lots of talking to even get her to wear real shoes. Then she discovered full leathers, and went all-in (Red hair and black leather... my favorite color scheme). Neither of us were fans of full-face helmets at that point.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Not really into Vespas Joe- although that is a pretty yellow and Renee still has nice legs But I do have my first drone on its way to me in the post at the moment- I may have need of your expertise JayInOz

We rode up to Silverado Cafe for brunch yesterday. Parked it next to some rat choppers

IMG_3296.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

They are fun but way do dangerous. There is a reason they are called donor-mobiles.