Thread: Bit sore today

Default Bit sore today

Finally got in to have the cute little umbilical hernia I had repaired.

Originally slated for 12:30 this afternoon, they had a cancellation and I was able to walk in the door 2 hours early. While repaired, I now have a belly full of very uncomfortable air and 4 holes in my belly. Three on the side from where they inserted the labiscropic tool and one over where the hernia was. While I am glad it is fixed, This hurt worse than I expected.

What I do find funny, I work a dangerous job, I have dangerous hobbies, and I have crohns disease yet this is my first time under the knife. When I was in for pre-admission testing, the nurse was asking me about pain. I had none. She wanted to give me a level from 1 to 10 about what would keep me from sleeping. I did not have a number for her. I have a slightly torn rotator cuff in my right arm, it has never kept me up. I tore up my left hand with a hole saw a few years ago. I got 9 stitches and got back from hospital in time to go to work.

Even right now, sitting and laying down are not painful. Standing is uncomfortable, and going from one activity to another does hurt. I confused the nurses when I told them I did not want pain killers. They got me a prescription anyway, but I am not going to pick them up. I simply do not hurt that much that I feel I need them.

I did get the side eye about this, makes me wonder if I am strange or something?

This is how I got the hernia.. moving a literally ton of CO2

20220509_182114.jpg
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Default Re: Bit sore today

dude, always get the pain killers
    and the next day request more and stronger ones
    they have a long shelf life and ya never know when youre gonna run up against a need for them in the future
    you know an er visit for something broken, like my broken foot with an er doctor who insisted on sending me home on a friday night with ibuproferen 800mg - effing douchebag
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Different folks have different 'pain thresholds' - For example, I rarely, if ever, need 'Novacaine' when I get a tooth filled , and my elbow surgery for a pinched nerve did not require that I took pain meds. ( When I was 17, they took my tonsils out while I was awake - I was / am asthmatic , and they did not want to 'put me under' - - real fun, that surgery )

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Paul is both right and not. Though I might or might not have some of the stuff from the shattered spine around here somewhere.

The hernia is the first time my body broke from doing something.

Glad it went well.

My hernia isn't getting bigger but it is getting uncomfortable. After my prostate surgery the nurses kept asking me how much pain I was in and I kept telling them I had none. On a scale of one to ten- OK, zero point five. They told me I was a dream patient- and then noticed that the bag attached to my catheter was still empty. Blood pressure waaay down. Started me on IV fluids and each time they came to check on me there were more of them including lots of medical students. Ten litres- two gallons- of IV fluids before my kidneys started doing what they're supposed to do, despite the fact that I was so full of fluid that even my hands swelled up. Then hit by a wave of nausea. Brought up everything but my socks in the bag the nurse gave me- she took it away looking like she wished she'd chosen a different career path. Came back and asked how I felt now. When I answered I realised that my teeth were gone- they were in the vomit bag. Poor nurse had to go and find it and retrieve my teeth. I was feeling sorry for both of us. JayInOz

Jay, after all the trials you been through, blowing out your choppers and getting them back again.

My dear old dad's choppers fell in the Crapper.
    Whilst he was working on Plan B, I took a dump and flushed.
    You can't make this shyt up. Knew Dad got in a panic but had no clue why. I found him down stairs up to his armpit in the cast iron drain pipe. He said not a word. He had an unpleasant task. His reward was recovering the flushed choppers. I am not sure if Polident worked straight away.

Tom

I can't do the pain killers. The "cure" is wore than the pain for me. When I had my knee surgery they tried to give me Nifidepine (?) and I thought I was gonna die.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

i keep old pain killers like i keep a fire extinhuisher ,a bilge pump,a spare anchor, a storm jib, a bottle of tequila, a six shooter.
    good god there some straight people here

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    good god there some straight people here
    If you mean by straight is: Doesn't do drugs, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink.. then yes, I am as boring as it gets.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Beer then whisky, mighty risky; don’t do heroin.
    Last edited by bluedog225; 06-10-2022 at 04:01 PM.

I don't mean to diss you Art...it is the THROWING AWAY part.
    Is it fear of them? Loathing of them?
    i don't take em for fun, but i do get painful injuries now n then... dancing with disc sanders...falls from ladders...breaking my neck having a pee in the middle of the night..
    having a stash on a boat at sea is a first part of first aid...can't heal if you can't sleep,,,can't sleep if yer in pain.a twisted angle or sprained wrist could cost my life.these are the real things one must consider shorthanded sailing on the ocean
    bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Even right now, sitting and laying down are not painful. Standing is uncomfortable, and going from one activity to another does hurt. I confused the nurses when I told them I did not want pain killers. They got me a prescription anyway, but I am not going to pick them up. I simply do not hurt that much that I feel I need them.

I did get the side eye about this, makes me wonder if I am strange or something?
    I like the morphine when I was in the hospital. It reduced my perception of pain a bit. But I still felt some pain. When I got home, the pain I felt was no worse than when I was on morphine. So I never took pain pills.

But if the pain pills make a difference in what you are willing and able to do, take the pain pills.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I don't mean to diss you Art...it is the THROWING AWAY part.
    Is it fear of them? Loathing of them?
    I have been on painkillers once. Oxycontin. I absolutely hated how they made me feel. How anybody can willingly take that stuff is beyond me. They wanted to give me percocet and anti-nausea meds.. just what I want to do after abdominal surgery, worry about puking.

As for fear of them, There is a Big history of Drug abuse in my family. My sister, my Father, my uncle (father's brother) and on my mom's side I have numerous cousins and a great uncle who are/were big drug users and abusers. While sis has backed off quite a bit, my father just spent the past 5 days stoned to the point he did not know what day it was. So yes, I am scared to death of painkillers, obviously there is a weakness in my family that makes people prone to abuse. No thanks, I will just pop a couple of tylenol before bed.

-Dalai Lama

I had a similar hernia fixed a few years ago,but not laparascopically.I was very glad of the painkillers for a couple of weeks as getting into bed was particularly painful and raising myself from a chair involved a lot of help from my arms.The team did a very tidy job and left no visible scar-which was a mild disappointment since it deprived me of the chance to invent good stories about how I acquired it.

well, I turned a corner last night. While this has been both better and worse than I thought it would be, At almost exactly a week from the operation, I sneezed. I had been holding it off for 5 minutes, but it demanded to come. Yes, it hurt a lot. All the internal stitches on the side that had been slowly dissolving gave. It was 2 minutes of burning pain followed by a huge amount of relief. I can now move more freely and even roll over in my sleep with minimal pain. The mesh patch seems to have held and has been of minimal distress the entire time, just where they poked those 3 holes in me caused me any pain.

Even the bloating is going away.

-Dalai Lama

Up until round 25 I had long (5-6 day at times) bad migraine. The pills they gave me made the tip of my tongue and nose and earlobes go numb. They just dulled the migraines. Then I discovered acupuncture, a few treatments, maybe 6/8, and they went for good.
    I have a high resistance to pain now and have not taken pain medication for a very long time, even when I crushed my foot. I told the hospital I did not need it, the doc thought I was playing tough, but I didn't. It hurt a bit but nothing I could not ignore. Migraines trained me well I think.

Pain varies from person to person.
    Until the last 3 months of his life, SWMBO's uncle had never felt pain, not one bit, when he had appendicitis , he didn't feel it, only the fact his wife was a nurse saved his life. His hands were always covered in bruises as he never had any idea when hitting things hard was too hard..

Me I increasingly feel pain, all my old injuries from up to 50 years years ago are returning to bite, at the moment I can make it tolerable with ibuprofen, but how long before something stronger is needed is a worrying question.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

The doc told me it heals to strength pretty quickly (weeks?). Hurt pretty good a 3 months. I’m 6 months out and the dull pain is mostly gone.

I got the three holes yesterday.
    Three years ago ,carrying rolls of roofing up a ladder building my new shop.
    Watched some Youtube and pushed it back in...completely forgot about it until a month ago when I had a 12 hour flu with some convulsive puking...out she popped.
    Not comfortable a'tall.
    ...i just called it "she"....what a dope.

The Naturopath that I first went to see gave me some great common sense advice that should have been....common sense.
    She said, When a person is about to do a lift or a strain, your natural thing is to grab a big lungful of air and GO.
    Big mistake, take that breath of air, but let half of it out before the pull/push.
    It never occoured to me that that air pressure of the lungs can be the difference of a hernia and no hernia.
    Try it...it is highly counter intuative.
    bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    they have a long shelf life and ya never know when youre gonna run up against a need for them in the future
    you know an er visit for something broken, like my broken foot with an er doctor who insisted on sending me home on a friday night with ibuproferen 800mg - effing douchebag
    You are a wise one sen say , i always ask for pain pills, i only take one at best but ver, better knowing if i fall off a roof i have them.

One of my lower social friends who inhabits the local watering hole says you can sell each pill for 10 bucks..

Never admit you have them or folks will be bumming them off you.
    . however the only way to get painters and sheet rockers to show up is tell them you have some.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Finally got in to have the cute little umbilical hernia I had repaired.

Originally slated for 12:30 this afternoon, they had a cancellation and I was able to walk in the door 2 hours early. While repaired, I now have a belly full of very uncomfortable air and 4 holes in my belly. Three on the side from where they inserted the labiscropic tool and one over where the hernia was. While I am glad it is fixed, This hurt worse than I expected.

What I do find funny, I work a dangerous job, I have dangerous hobbies, and I have crohns disease yet this is my first time under the knife. When I was in for pre-admission testing, the nurse was asking me about pain. I had none. She wanted to give me a level from 1 to 10 about what would keep me from sleeping. I did not have a number for her. I have a slightly torn rotator cuff in my right arm, it has never kept me up. I tore up my left hand with a hole saw a few years ago. I got 9 stitches and got back from hospital in time to go to work.

This is how I got the hernia.. moving a literally ton of CO2

20220509_182114.jpg
    The staples hurt worse then anything, everytime i moved they hurt, who was the son of a gun that thought to save money by using my arrow hammer tacker ..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    My approach also. I don't esp. like pain meds. But I don't like pain either. So, nice to have them when you need them. Most of mine have gone to other folks with an acute, short-term problem. Neighbor who slammed his wife's hand in the car door, for instance.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    You are a wise one sen say , i always ask for pain pills, i only take one at best but ver, better knowing if i fall off a roof i have them.

One of my lower social friends who inhabits the local watering hole says you can sell each pill for 10 bucks..

Never admit you have them or folks will be bumming them off you.
    . however the only way to get painters and sheet rockers to show up is tell them you have some.
    1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?
    2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment