Thread: A bit of logic vis-a-vi GUNS and "Mental Illness"

Default A bit of logic vis-a-vi GUNS and "Mental Illness"

Since Republicans virtually unanimously claim that the overwhelming gun violence happening in USA schools (meanwhile almost unheard of in the otherwise civilized World) is due to "mental Illness" and CERTAINLY NOT due to the easy availability of any sort of firearm by almost anyone, isn't it reasonable to posit that a great many Republicans are actually mentally ill?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Since Republicans virtually unanimously claim that the overwhelming gun violence happening in USA schools (meanwhile almost unheard of in the otherwise civilized World) is due to "mental Illness" and CERTAINLY NOT due to the easy availability of any sort of firearm by almost anyone, isn't it reasonable to posit that a great many Republicans are actually mentally ill?

Hah!

The finer points of logic often escape them.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: A bit of logic vis-a-vi GUNS and "Mental Illness"

The following is a re-broadcast from the NYT "The Daily" (locally on KUOW at 1400 weekdays) podcast in which the interviewee talks about how these crimes are committed by people that don't meet the definition of being "mentally ill". She acknowledges the semantics of the situation but the law is the law. Very much worth listening too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/08/p...e-archive.html
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    The following is a re-broadcast from the NYT "The Daily" (locally on KUOW at 1400 weekdays) podcast in which the interviewee talks about how these crimes are committed by people that don't meet the definition of being "mentally ill". She acknowledges the semantics of the situation but the law is the law. Very much worth listening too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/08/p...e-archive.html
    This is definitely worth a listen. The most interesting part: according to research, only 4% of violent crime can be attributed to mental illness (as defined, diagnostically). The rest? Angry people who could not be legally institutionalized against their will, based on a lack of diagnostic criteria.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

*Highly unlikely* you can/will have a reasonable, logical discussion of this with a Republican. The combatants I've read generally read virtually always claim 'the shooter' was actually a liberal/democrat, also virtually always without proof. Facts don't matter much, to them, in these 'discussions'.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Read what I wrote, not what you thought I wrote. I wrote "a great many Republicans are actually mentally ill", not that the shooters were mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    You are employing some flawed logic.

Lets say for the moment that it is correct that all gun violence in school was at the hands of a deranged person:

You could say that all gun violence in school is due to mental illness, but since all gun owners do not commit gun violence you cannot then say that all gun owners are mentally ill - at least not on this basis.

Now lets look at gun violence in school. Is it really that hard to believe that only a mentally ill person would go to a school full of innocent children and commit gun violence? Hardly the actions of a rational person.

Thee is something screwed about anyone who 'needs' to own a gun to promote their egos. Mitigated of course by a justified fear of those who do 'need' to own a gun. Then there's those who have dozens………

Is insanity mental illness?

Is temporary insanity temporary mental illness?

Is a mass shooter temporarily insane?

Can we take his AR15 away until it passes, without violating the Second Amendment and crippling the Militia?

Republicans can figure this out while they're not watching the Jan 6 hearings.
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

Who is to determine who mentally ill?

If mental illness is the problem, then it seems that GQP lawmakers would be pushing for comprehensive universal background checks to screen potential gun owners…

Yep, they are gaslighting peckerwads, not serious, thoughtful people who are actually trying to solve problems and save lives…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

I do think that some gun owners are mentally ill. I will take a couple of my co-workers. One guy owns a handgun. He grew up in Atlantic City and wanted something to protect his family. He has since moved out and into a very nice little town, but he still has that 9mm. This is a perfect use for such a gun and he admits it as such. It only leaves it's box for cleaning and practice.

Another lives out in the woods. He hunts, he goes on vacations to go hunting. New Zealand, Safari in Africa, and other exotic locals. He has a small collection of guns, some, like the rifle he bought for safari, are trophies onto themselves as they have no use outside of that specialized task

And finally there is the "other guy". I do not directly work with him (we have over 6000 employees) but he is a friend of my hunting Co-worker. While he also hunts, I consider him "intense" and I am glad he likes me. The man has a collection of close to 100 guns. Being an intense individual, he is highly opinionated, very trumpish, and lives out in the woods as a neighbor to co-worker 2 because he does not like or trust people.

And guesses which one I think is a little mentally off?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    And guesses which one I think is a little mentally off?
    It isn't illegal to be "a little mentally off"...which good and bad. Pretty much in order to detain (not treat) somebody exhibiting signs of mental illness they have to be a danger to themselves or others. Even that might only result in a 72 hour hold, just long enough to get back on their medications, no longer be a threat and it's back out into the world.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan