Thread: Armed man arrested near Brett Kavanaugh's home charged with attempted murder

Default Armed man arrested near Brett Kavanaugh's home charged with attempted murder

(CNN)The Justice Department has charged the man who was arrested near Justice Brett Kavanaugh's house in Maryland early Wednesday with attempting or threatening to kidnap or murder a US judge.

The man, Nicholas John Roske, 26, of Simi Valley, California, had called emergency authorities saying he was having suicidal thoughts and had a firearm in his suitcase, leading to his arrest, according to the criminal complaint. He told law enforcement he had traveled from California to kill "a specific United States Supreme Court Justice," according to an FBI affidavit filed Wednesday. The affidavit said Roske was upset about the leak of the Supreme Court opinion related to abortion rights, an upcoming gun control case and the school shooting last month in Uvalde, Texas.

"Roske indicated that he believed the Justice that he intended to kill would side with Second Amendment decisions that would loosen gun control laws," the FBI agent wrote. "Roske stated that he began thinking about how to give his life a purpose and decided that he would kill the Supreme Court Justice" after breaking into his home. Roske planned to kill himself as well, the affidavit added.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Armed man arrested near Brett Kavanaugh's home charged with attempted murder

A sitting president calls for his followers to attack the Congress and so far denies any involvement in what happened and is not charged.

A man says he will kill a judge, never gets off a shot, and is charged with attempted murder?

It doesn't seem right to me.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Armed man arrested near Brett Kavanaugh's home charged with attempted murder

truly strange times. Mental illness at the highest levels driven by social media and calls for attention.

I suspect since the mentally ill California man called himself in - he may get the attention he needs as they process him. as it is he may get 20 years in federal prison in Leavenworth.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Simi Valley is a long way from DC

So why & how was this nut job allowed to purchase a gun ?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I'm also perplexed as to why he was charged with attempted murder.
    The case is indeed deadly serious and I'm glad that he didn't go through with it, but he thought about murder, even prepared to murder, but he never actively attempted it.
    Could be hard to prove in court.
    I hope justice is serviced properly and/or the guy gets mental health help.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    A sitting president calls for his followers to attack the Congress and so far denies any involvement in what happened and is not charged.

A man says he will kill a judge, never gets off a shot, and is charged with attempted murder?

It doesn't seem right to me.
    What were his exact words. The only ones I saw (and I am open to being wrong) is that he said they should peaceful protest. Did he ask his supporters to "attack" the congress?

On the other hand, here is what Schumer said about Kavanaugh:

"I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price,"

Sounds like a call to action.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I'm also perplexed as to why he was charged with attempted murder.
    The case is indeed deadly serious and I'm glad that he didn't go through with it, but he thought about murder, even prepared to murder, but he never actively attempted it.
    Could be hard to prove in court.
    I hope justice is serviced properly and/or the guy gets mental health help.
    He openly admitted that he obtained a gun for the sole purpose of killing Kavanaugh - he waived his rights to an attorney - huge mistake. This admission (unless the defense can prove it was coerced) is all the prosecution needs.

Attempted Murder, however, requires the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant had a specific intent to kill, which means, he or she had fully formed intent to kill and was aware of that intention.
    I realize one could utilize the insanity defense, but since Hinkley that has been much tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    What were his exact words. The only ones I saw (and I am open to being wrong) is that he said they should peaceful protest. Did he ask his supporters to "attack" the congress?
    He spoke in code "You will never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong."

"We're going to walk down, and I will be there with you..." Liar.

He wound them up and then went back to the Oval Office and watched it on TV.

https://youtu.be/5fiT6c0MQ58
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

If he was serious about it he's not have called anyone first. He was a 'suicide by cop' candidate.

Good thing he called for help.
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

The Republicans created this hyper-partisan atmosphere when Obama was running for president, and haven't let up. They politicized Supreme Court nominations. And now the chickens are coming home to roost. Fsck 'em.

What are you doing about it?

He openly admitted that he obtained a gun for the sole purpose of killing Kavanaugh - he waived his rights to an attorney - huge mistake. This admission (unless the defense can prove it was coerced) is all the prosecution needs.

I realize one could utilize the insanity defense, but since Hinkley that has been much tougher.
    1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?
    2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

On the other hand, here is what Schumer said about Kavanaugh:

"I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh, you have released the whirlwind and you will pay the price,"

Sounds like a call to action.
    May I suggest you watch the hearings? They're on TV right now.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The SC and the trump party have made their own bed, let them lie in it.

There should be a competence test for anyone purchasing a gun.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

He's charged with attempted murder, but as yet it's unclear how his reported actions rise to that. Weapons offenses, uttering threats, sure. But he called the police on himself before actually trying to make any contact with Kavanagh. We've heard nothing to suggest that he ever did, or that he ever got past even one layer of Kavanagh's security.

It is unclear how his reported actions are different from those who brought a noose and shifted "hang Mike Pence," or who gleefully told cameras that they invaded the Capitol seeking to "put a bullet into Nancy's brain", but couldn't find either person to get a chance to make good on the ugly threats. Note that the woman who talked about a bullet in Nancy's brain was merely charged with misdemeanors.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    May I suggest you watch the hearings? They're on TV right now.
    So then you don't know either?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?
    2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.
    I don't think you are paying attention. I answered these same questions from you two weeks ago. But I am very willing to restate theme.

1. Yes Biden legitimately won the election.
    2. I think the occupation of the capitol was awful. As far as I know, none were armed, and the only person shot was one of the protesters. A 5'4" female veteran shot in the neck through security glass by a capitol police officer. . Also, as far as I know, only two of the estimated 200 protesters have been charged with insurrection. It never should have happened and was one of the most unpatriotic things I have witnessed in a long time. The occupation (or insurrection if you wish) was far too feeble to accomplish anything except for news outlets and politicians to proclaim that our Democracy was nearly defeated.

I don't want to hijack this thread but at some point I have a couplie questions for you tangentially related to this subject

There are many now charged with having brought weapons to the insurrection. Only a few armed with firearms, but many charged with using bear spray, metal and wooden poles, hockey sticks, etc. Last night's videos showed many of these weapons being used against Capitol police.

I've read reports that LEOs (who are trained for such) "read" the imprints of concealed weapons at many hips etc, outlined under their clothes.

Yes, it was armed. And that's before we discuss the people who've admitted in court documents that they brought weapons which they left in hotels and vehicles, to be retrieved if conditions warranted.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Roske indicated that he believed the Justice that he intended to kill would side with Second Amendment decisions that would loosen gun control laws," the FBI agent wrote. "Roske stated that he began thinking about how to give his life a purpose and decided that he would kill the Supreme Court Justice" after breaking into his home. Roske planned to kill himself as well, the affidavit added.

That is classic cry for help from a system that only reacts to the worst case scenario.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    There are many now charged with having brought weapons to the insurrection. Only a few armed with firearms, but many charged with using bear spray, metal and wooden poles, hockey sticks, etc. Last night's videos showed many of these weapons being used against Capitol police.

I've read reports that LEOs (who are trained for such) "read" the imprints of concealed weapons at many hips etc, outlined under their clothes.

Yes, it was armed. And that's before we discuss the people who've admitted in court documents that they brought weapons which they left in hotels and vehicles, to be retrieved if conditions warranted.
    And if you are trying to overturn a government that would be just about the worst way to do it. As far as I know not a single gun or home made bomb. Don't most coups involve shooting people and holding some as hostages?

You say there were a couple guns? Source please?

such skepticism. such gullibility. all in one person.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    such skepticism. such gullibility. all in one person.
    Platitudes without substance,

There were bombs planted at DNC headquarters on 1/6. They didn’t go off as the bombers were incompetent.

And if you are trying to overturn a government that would be just about the worst way to do it. As far as I know not a single gun or home made bomb. Don't most coups involve shooting people and holding some as hostages?

You say there were a couple guns? Source please?
    Of course. Please read through this lengthy thread, which reporter Scott MaFarlane has been updating regularly as court documents are filed describing what charged protesters had with them at the Capitol, and which in many cases they're charged with using against Capitol Police. Many of these people have pleaded guilty, removing niggling doubts you might still have.

The coup attempt didn't reach the legislators in time to take them hostage, though they came within about 50 paces as Senators were being evacuated. Similarly, Officer Goodman directed Mitt Romney and his people away from rioters, likely saving his life. And Mike Pence's detail was about 2 minutes ahead of the rioters finding them on the steps, where he evacuated.

This isn't news, Boatbum. Not if you've been watching the actual court filings, and the reporting on them.

tw.PNG

Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) spoke to a rally on the steps of the Supreme Court and bellowed: “I want to tell you, Gorsuch; I want to tell you, Kavanaugh: You have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price. You won’t know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions!”

Protests at a judge’s home are already illegal under federal law, but the Biden administration made no move to prosecute the protesters, again on the theory that breaking federal law in a political protest in D.C. is no big deal. A bipartisan bill to beef up security for the justices unanimously passed the Senate, but Nancy Pelosi blocked it in the House. Meanwhile, violence by the group “Jane’s Revenge” has escalated, including just last night, firebombing a crisis pregnancy center in Buffalo..

Biden , harris, Pelosi, are not concerned, if brett should be eliminated, biden gets a new pick.

Will they call off the dog pack.?.

Not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Protests at a judge’s home are already illegal under federal law, but the Biden administration made no move to prosecute the protesters, again on the theory that breaking federal law in a political protest in D.C. is no big deal. A bipartisan bill to beef up security for the justices unanimously passed the Senate, but Nancy Pelosi blocked it in the House. Meanwhile, violence by the group “Jane’s Revenge” has escalated, including just last night, firebombing a crisis pregnancy center in Buffalo..

Biden , harris, Pelosi, are not concerned, if brett should be eliminated, biden gets a new pick.

Will they call off the dog pack.?.

Not likely.

and not addressing their own side’s role in motivating such behavior.

Speaking to CNN New Day host Brianna Keilar alongside CNN anchor Kasie Hunt, Gregory expressed shock and disbelief over the Wednesday arrest of a young man who told law enforcement he was looking to murder Justice Kavanaugh over the Court's potential dismantling of Roe v. Wade and possible future rulings on the Second Amendment.

Gregory declared, "And this is horrifying. I mean, activism has its place, of course, speaking out has its place, but to threaten a Supreme Court justice and his family outside of his home is beyond the pale, cannot be tolerated, every politician has an obligation to stand up, condemn this and to do something about it."

He then pulled no punches as he hit left-wing politicians over this mob violence. "And the truth is that a lot of people on the left who are in political power are being so hypocritical about this."

Sponsored

BY UC HEALTH
    Unparalleled learning. Unlimited growth.
    TOM COTTON ON SUPREME COURT THREATS: MERRICK GARLAND SHOULD RESIGN IN DISGRACE OR BE IMPEACHED

On Thursday former Meet the Press host and current CNN political analyst David Gregory slammed Democratic politicians for encouraging protestors to be outside Supreme Court justices' homes.
    On Thursday former Meet the Press host and current CNN political analyst David Gregory slammed Democratic politicians for encouraging protestors to be outside Supreme Court justices' homes. (The Associated Press)

Gregory slammed them for constantly going after former President Trump and right-wing violence while at the same time applauding protesters attempting to scare their conservative political opponents outside their homes. "They lecture us all the time about the excesses of the right, including Donald Trump on January 6, fomenting mob violence and yet they’re out there countenancing as they have with statements before that it’s okay to stand outside these people’s homes," he said.

Keilar then played a clip from an early May White House Press briefing where then-press secretary Jen Psaki and the White House refused to officially discourage protests outside justices’ homes in the wake of the leaked Roe v Wade draft opinion. Though Psaki maintained they should be peaceful.

Sponsored

BY UC HEALTH
    She also played a clip of Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., shrugging off the dangers of protestors outside his home, saying, "there’s protest, three, four times a week outside my house," and invited Gregory to comment.

The political analyst agreed that peacefully protesting is great, but that’s not what is happening here. "But the problem is, yes, peacefully protest but what’s happening — I mean, I go back to, you know, Bill Clinton’s admonition, right, about right-wing radio, ‘be careful on whose ears these messages fall,’" he said, referencing the 42nd president’s warning on who might be influenced by radical talking points.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    and not addressing their own side’s role in motivating such behavior.

Speaking to CNN New Day host Brianna Keilar alongside CNN anchor Kasie Hunt, Gregory expressed shock and disbelief over the Wednesday arrest of a young man who told law enforcement he was looking to murder Justice Kavanaugh over the Court's potential dismantling of Roe v. Wade and possible future rulings on the Second Amendment.

Gregory declared, "And this is horrifying. I mean, activism has its place, of course, speaking out has its place, but to threaten a Supreme Court justice and his family outside of his home is beyond the pale, cannot be tolerated, every politician has an obligation to stand up, condemn this and to do something about it."

He then pulled no punches as he hit left-wing politicians over this mob violence. "And the truth is that a lot of people on the left who are in political power are being so hypocritical about this."

Sponsored

BY UC HEALTH
    TOM COTTON ON SUPREME COURT THREATS: MERRICK GARLAND SHOULD RESIGN IN DISGRACE OR BE IMPEACHED

On Thursday former Meet the Press host and current CNN political analyst David Gregory slammed Democratic politicians for encouraging protestors to be outside Supreme Court justices' homes.
    On Thursday former Meet the Press host and current CNN political analyst David Gregory slammed Democratic politicians for encouraging protestors to be outside Supreme Court justices' homes. (The Associated Press)

Gregory slammed them for constantly going after former President Trump and right-wing violence while at the same time applauding protesters attempting to scare their conservative political opponents outside their homes. "They lecture us all the time about the excesses of the right, including Donald Trump on January 6, fomenting mob violence and yet they’re out there countenancing as they have with statements before that it’s okay to stand outside these people’s homes," he said.

Keilar then played a clip from an early May White House Press briefing where then-press secretary Jen Psaki and the White House refused to officially discourage protests outside justices’ homes in the wake of the leaked Roe v Wade draft opinion. Though Psaki maintained they should be peaceful.

Sponsored

BY UC HEALTH
    She also played a clip of Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., shrugging off the dangers of protestors outside his home, saying, "there’s protest, three, four times a week outside my house," and invited Gregory to comment.

The political analyst agreed that peacefully protesting is great, but that’s not what is happening here. "But the problem is, yes, peacefully protest but what’s happening — I mean, I go back to, you know, Bill Clinton’s admonition, right, about right-wing radio, ‘be careful on whose ears these messages fall,’" he said, referencing the 42nd president’s warning on who might be influenced by radical talking points.
    speaking of not addressing

1 Did Mr Biden legitimately win the 2020 presidential election? If not, why not?2. What do you think of the attempt to interfere by force with the electoral vote count on January 6, 2021? If you approve, explain.

Schumer also said, about earlier protests outside SCOTUS judges' homes that there was no place at all for violent protests, which he'd condemn. But that nonviolent protests were 1st Amendment protected speech, and that he personally has such demonstrations outside his own home about 3x every week. Comes with the job, and SCOTUS justices aren't exempt.

I'd add, especially when the Justices themselves have politicized the court, and as in Kavanagh's case, been elevated under very shady circumstances.

As I said earlier, is there any reporting on why what sounds to all accounts to be an instance of an armed man making threats, but not it seems taking shots at or even coming into contact with the Justice is being apparrently charged with attempted murder? When it doesn't sound like he actually made any attempts?