Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aptera Motors (EV with 400 mile range) plus solar power

Default Aptera Motors (EV with 400 mile range) plus solar power

really interesting push by Aptera. One of my friends is bullish on his investment.

An EV with Solar power recharge.

Aptera-169FullWidth-6fa50452-1771032.jpg

Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Aptera Motors (EV with 400 mile range) plus solar power

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    One of my friends is bullish on his investment.
    norman?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Paul, Dontcha want one? They are rolling into production soon.

The optional canoe and kayak rack will be in development for awhile yet…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

yeah i think theyre cool

I just made some coin on Rivian

They look cook but I would be full pucker driving on the 5 freeway
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I’ve had a reservation for one of these for over a year now… but without solar. At best, in sunny California, an all day solar charge would add only about 40 miles of range… and that assumes no obstructions. Here in New England, it certainly wouldn’t be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Idon’t see anything in the specs about interior heating or cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Idon’t see anything in the specs about interior heating or cooling.
    from their website

Does Aptera have heating and air conditioning?

It does, a full climate control system! Aptera is very well insulated with its sandwich core composite construction. The solar also allows the interior to stay at ambient temps on hot days so you don’t have to cool the car down before driving in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    from their website

[FONT="]Does Aptera have heating and air conditioning?

[/FONT]

It does, a full climate control system! Aptera is very well insulated with its sandwich core composite construction. The solar also allows the interior to stay at ambient temps on hot days so you don’t have to cool the car down before driving in the summer.
    Ambient temps on hot days is….hot. I’d really like to see if it has an ac system as they’re pushing it’s solar panel exterior as a feature for southern climates.

found this https://aptera.us/community/discussi...imate-control/

It sounds like a work in progress as in “Yes it will have ac, we’re looking for the pump”. Saying “the solar will allow the interior to be at ambient temps on hot days” is awfully odd as ambient temps on hot days, it hot. A translucent roof and dark panels on hot days is hotter than ambient temps. Simply moving air through a glass bowl won’t cool it appreciably.

They are selling it as a fun experience with your girlfriend at the beach, toy for a weekend.. But as a daily driver..nah. Too far reaching in design, looks fragile, scary at speed or in a crash.. I predict it may be a fad for a year or two.. then drop. My 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    They are selling it as a fun experience with your girlfriend at the beach, toy for a weekend.. But as a daily driver..nah. Too far reaching in design, looks fragile, scary at speed or in a crash.. I predict it may be a fad for a year or two.. then drop. My 2c.
    I can imagine it does what it says but it’ll needs lots of interesting ac and sound absorbing material to not sound like a drum or be insanely hot in sunny 95 degree day on black asphalt.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

They will come with AC.

And scuff protection on those wheel cowlings?

I’m a huge fan of the thing… but I have NO illusions about it’s place in the automotive market. I consider it to be 80% sports car, and 20% motorcycle. I am only interested in the base model, which, for $25,900, is about what you might pay for a top-of-the-line Harley… and pretty close to what those Polaris three wheeled cycles cost.

So, why?

1) I think it looks cool… incredibly so… and unlike most concept car designs, it will still look good years from now.
    2) The base model has a 250 mile range, and can recharge from a standard 120V outlet overnight.
    3) It might not be the fastest EV… but with an electric drive train, it’s going to give vastly better acceleration than a similarly priced ICE car… and things like 0-60 times are just braggadocio, anyhow.
    4) I’m sure that 95% of the time, I drive well under 40 miles per day… but with a 250 mile range, I could still do my occasional trip from Boston to NJ on a single charge, or thereabouts…. Boston to Montreal (which I occasionally do), with just a single charging stop, and it would be a quick one, since it’s just a 25kW battery.
    5) For other than deep snow, it’s a year-round car. My motorcycle, on the other hand, winters unused in my garage.

Interesting factoid: according to Aptera, it’s got less wind resistance than just the side view mirror of a Ford F-150
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    They will come with AC.

ok, waiting for a Road and Track review.

I like this one

If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    I like this one

Perfect! So many compromises with speed.

i wouldn't drive that turd on any road with a speed limit above 20 mph

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i wouldn't drive that turd on any road with a speed limit above 20 mph
    which turd?

Looks like a very limiting form factor... more sizzle than steak.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It’s heavier than I expected. About the same as a 1974 Honda Civic.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Looks like a very limiting form factor... more sizzle than steak.
    What's the limiting part? This is very much a form-follows-function vehicle. It's not the family SUV and wasn't intended to be. The sizzle is in the fact that the vehicle achieved the design goals, IMO.

Now as far as "style"? You may not like the style, but as far as moving two adults and a reasonable amount of "stuff" for quite some distance on a modest amount of energy, it is interesting.

I drive a 5 seat vehicle around with one or two people most of the time. I could drive that thing for months on end without ever having to actually plug the darned thing in. Yeah - I could go for that.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    What's the limiting part? This is very much a form-follows-function vehicle. It's not the family SUV and wasn't intended to be. The sizzle is in the fact that the vehicle achieved the design goals, IMO.

Now as far as "style"? You may not like the style, but as far as moving two adults and a reasonable amount of "stuff" for quite some distance on a modest amount of energy, it is interesting.

I drive a 5 seat vehicle around with one or two people most of the time. I could drive that thing for months on end without ever having to actually plug the darned thing in. Yeah - I could go for that.
    It's limiting because of utility. Yes, it's an upgrade of the 'citicar' motif, but it's still mostly a 'second' vehicle. And if that's what fits for your family/situation... then you can consider other factors. More utility than a motorcycle with a sidecar. Less than a compact sedan/CUV. But what the market has told us for decades now is that the role such a vehicle plays is too limited to make the investment worthwhile. One thousand miles is impressive... but so what? What % of those embarking on a 1,000 mile trip will want THAT vehicle to do it in? Higher than those who'd choose a motorcycle maybe. But high enough to create a new niche? I guess we'll see. I predict 'no'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I would rather use this Aptera than a motorcycle for commuting. The utility and second seat is just enough. with a fast recharge of 20 mins to over 80 percent is quite nice. Access to the full time, free use of the HOV lane is worth the price of entry.

It's limiting because of utility. Yes, it's an upgrade of the 'citicar' motif, but it's still mostly a 'second' vehicle. And if that's what fits for your family/situation... then you can consider other factors. More utility than a motorcycle with a sidecar. Less than a compact sedan/CUV. But what the market has told us for decades now is that the role such a vehicle plays is too limited to make the investment worthwhile. One thousand miles is impressive... but so what? What % of those embarking on a 1,000 mile trip will want THAT vehicle to do it in? Higher than those who'd choose a motorcycle maybe. But high enough to create a new niche? I guess we'll see. I predict 'no'.
    Like I said, it's not the family SUV and wasn't intended to be. Is it for everyone? No. I do think the niche for such a vehicle is larger than you may think, and as a stepping stone for development of other future vehicles it is an excellent proof of concept. I think if they can manage the unit cost better - it will be achievable for a wider market. We'll all have to wait and see on that point. Like many such vehicles they tend to be vaporware. I look forward to Aptera actually taking this into sustainable production, not an R&D run.

Being basic transportation that uses no gasoline and doesn't have to stop to charge every few hours - and that can even charge itself depending on what your driving habits are - is mighty impressive. The thought that the solar panels on the vehicle can provide all-electric range that most plug-in hybrids only get from being plugged into a charger is very impressive.

The aerodynamics really are what makes it all possible. Again, form follows function.

I think the 1000 miles _is_ impressive from a technical standpoint, but from a practical one, most don't have need of that.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    I think the 1000 miles _is_ impressive from a technical standpoint, but from a practical one, most don't have need of that.
    I agree. Aptera is trying to extend the concept of the vehicle to areas where it makes little sense... witness their 'camping' accessory. I love the car, hope they get into production, but if they can't keep the price below $30K, they'll be eaten alive by the major players. $44K (the price quoted for the fully optioned Aptera) is enough to buy a Tesla... or even some of the recent contenders... that offer far more utility (if not anywhere near the 'cool' factor).

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I agree. Aptera is trying to extend the concept of the vehicle to areas where it makes little sense... witness their 'camping' accessory. I love the car, hope they get into production, but if they can't keep the price below $30K, they'll be eaten alive by the major players. $44K (the price quoted for the fully optioned Aptera) is enough to buy a Tesla... or even some of the recent contenders... that offer far more utility (if not anywhere near the 'cool' factor).
    Bingo. The basic FWD vehicle with some added solar panels and the 400 mile range looks to be very practical and cost effective - and priced right in that range.

I see this as being more like the 1st generation Honda Insight from about 1999. I still see a few of these out on the road in this area.
    Last edited by Canoez; 06-09-2022 at 01:40 PM.
    -William A. Ward

Unless they get a serious influx of capital like Amazon did with Rivian they are gonna be stuck as two guys in a glueing a few cars a year together and never make a real dent in the auto industry.

Would I get one nah, I have Vespa’s for small efficient trips under 100 miles. The fact that I live in a mostly sunny location would be a positive for the Aptera but for that same reason an open air Vespa makes a better choice.

Also I’m a bit concerned with the in wheel motor design only because I see those HIGH VOLT cables going out top the front wheels all open and exposed like that. I see a week collision point being those two front wheels.

Other than that kinda a cool car that they have been working on for decades.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Unless they get a serious influx of capital like Amazon did with Rivian they are gonna be stuck as two guys in a glueing a few cars a year together and never make a real dent in the auto industry.

Would I get one nah, I have Vespa’s for small efficient trips under 100 miles. The fact that I live in a mostly sunny location would be a positive for the Aptera but for that same reason an open air Vespa makes a better choice.

Also I’m a bit concerned with the in wheel motor design only because I see those HIGH VOLT cables going out top the front wheels all open and exposed like that. I see a week collision point being those two front wheels.

Other than that kinda a cool car that they have been working on for decades.
    Joe - you ride scooters with a brutal range of 100 miles and are worried about a collision of someone inside a high tech aluminum/carbon fiber safety box? Your scooters are barely freeway legal, you ride nearly naked with an open face helmet and 25 percent of the other drivers around you are loaded.

Methinks new niches will barely be noticeable when the entire personal transportation enterprise is under forces requiring it to shrink in size and activity. So while there’s all these new EVs popping up total vehicle sales are slipping, variety is reduced and used cars ridiculously expensive. Wrt Aptera it’s a fun toy compared to a similarly priced four door Corolla hybrid and fuel costs don’t factor significantly until a person is driving a lot. And like you said would you really want to drive a lot of miles in a two seater with marginal crash protection?
    Last edited by LeeG; 06-09-2022 at 03:13 PM.

Bits of the vehicle look promising,but why would you want all that space beneath the rear end?Given the dynamic stability of a three wheeler,it seems odd to lift all the body and the occupants so high.Morgan have a fair bit of experience with the form and look how they do it.