Thread: Painting my bottom

Default Painting my bottom

Okay here's my usual stupid question. If my small wooden sailing dinghy/trailer sailor has old and unnecessary bottom paint on it that's been throughly scraped and sanded but not entirely removed, can I paint over it with topside paint, or do I need to wood it out prior. I was trying to research this and couldn't find any answers. I suspect reason is, is that the answer is NO!

I have some micron I could use just to get it into the water this year but it in no way really needs bottom paint.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Painting my bottom

yea you doan wanna do dat
    The anti foul will more than likely bleed through,lift off eventually, cause the bottom to be unfair.
    You won't kick yerself for getting it all off, you may kick yerself for not.
    bruce

Is it ablative paint? If so, it all needs to come off. Otherwise, I'd say you can go ahead from where it is now.
    -Dave

Assuming this is for your Gartside, looking at the photo of the bottom it doesn't look like it'd be too hard to clean that off. Especially if you have a couple of hands to help you roll it over onto a couple of sawhorses.

Yup it is and already upside down on horses,
    I'm just putting a temporary tarp tent over it as though we are almost in summer we are still in a rain forest.
    What would be the best way of removing bottom paint from cedar? Sanding would mostly have to done by hand / scrapping works pretty well but I don't want to removed too much of the soft cedar. Heat gun and putty knife?

Heat gun and both a scraper and a putty knife. Good luck, I think it is going to be a long day of work but also a chance to start fresh.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

you put anti foul on bare cedar?
    no primer or epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    no primer or epoxy?
    Purchased boat Wiz. This is the one in the "A Gartside # 130 Followed Me Home". Purty boat that needs some much deserved TLC.

No I didn't put anything on anything, I just got the boat and I'm doing the necessary work. It does not need bottom paint. it's a 12' cedar dinghy that will not live in the water..and never has actually.
    There's some sort of white paint underneath the antifouling that is likely some sort of primer. It's a relatively small area in the great scheme of things, but it's lapstrake and has several oak bottom rub rails a side so a little fussy.

Have heat gun (electric) putty knives and many scrapers, Onward!

Thanks
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 06-09-2022 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    no primer or epoxy?
    This actually interesting because I was contemplating just using this micron I have so i can go sailing with the least amount of fuss and though I tell them that there are bare spots from scraping loose paint off , people have told me I don't need primer, just the bottom paint (quite knowledgable people actually).

oh lots of people put anti foul directly on bare wood
    i think it's a bad idea
    primers exist for underwater, from red lead to epoxy.
    by n by , the primer will pay dividends. easier and safer removal of anti foul .worm barrier in case of anti foul failure.
    but now i see the boat..i would coat the bottom with interlux 2000, and nothing more. no anti foul,no topside paint(alkyd or urethane)

You may find bottom paint does not loosen easily with heat, though the paint under it might and take the bottom paint with it. Stripping my hull (soft cypress) I rolled linseed oil onto the bottom paint and let it soak in. Then the heat bubbles the oil and paint.
    You might just sail it with the bottom paint until it ablates away, or even try power washing.

...or wet sanding with a da .

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    You may find bottom paint does not loosen easily with heat, though the paint under it might and take the bottom paint with it. Stripping my hull (soft cypress) I rolled linseed oil onto the bottom paint and let it soak in. Then the heat bubbles the oil and paint.
    You might just sail it with the bottom paint until it ablates away, or even try power washing.
    I've sanded a lot of it away but there's obviously a few coats with some sort of white primer underneath.
    A sharp scraper lifts most of it and I might have a go at that carefully. i don't know where I hid my %$#^#$ heat gun anyway

What I should've done is not fuss with the bottom at all right now and just sailed it but I did start and a good percentage of the fastener holes need to filled/refilled. So I'm just going to get that done. our weather isn't very conducive to open boat sailing right now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    our weather isn't very conducive to open boat sailing right now anyway.
    Isn't that the truth. Unless you have a small boat and a big tent it isn't conducive to boat work either. I've a stack of projects that really want a week of dry weather for best results...fresh varnish never seems to dry in the rain.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Since it does not live in the water would acrylic deck paint be ok? It goes on fast with a roller, but I am told to let it harden for about a week.

What about this stuff?
    There close and they generally make good paint
    I'm not sure what to look for in the data sheets though
    https://www.cloverdalepaint.com/indu...e-enamel-gloss

I'm not a chemist but it doesn't seem to be far off from brightsides, at least on solids
    However they are different types of paints

43% to brightsides 45%
    I'm going to check tomorrow on the price.

https://pldb.cloverdalepaint.com/doc...-111series.pdf

brightsides

https://www.international-yachtpaint...861.1653790373
    Last edited by Toxophilite; 06-09-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Again, the best paint I am used is Fine Paints of Europe.
    You said it is not available north of the border. But a clever man could surely figure out a way to get some in Seattle.
    It really is that good.

I believe you that it's good, however Seattle is a 3 hr drive from here. I know because I use to play shows there regularly many years back. Even in my little car , for 6 hours of driving, the paint would have to have small bars of gold in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    I believe you that it's good, however Seattle is a 3 hr drive from here. I know because I use to play shows there regularly many years back. Even in my little car , for 6 hours of driving, the paint would have to have small bars of gold in it.
    Perhaps you could think of another reason to make the trip. A good painter could paint a car and it would look good. This paint makes it easy to reach that level. Beware of some of the paint that has been suggested here.