Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a Hobie 16

Default Thinking about getting a Hobie 16

We went SUP yesterday in Dana Point and I parked in the lot near the marina and I saw a few Hobie Catamarans on trailers in the parking lot and it occurred to me hmmmmmm maybe I should look into getting a Hobie Catamaran and keeping it on a trailer in the lot.

I love sailing those catamarans, I've sailed them in Mexico and other places. They are fast and loads of fun.
    Best of all they are a quintessential Dana Point Sailboat.

There is even a statue

HOBIE HISTORY

Hobie Alter’s dream was born in his parents’ garage in 1950, when Hobie decided to apply his love of woodworking to the sport of surfing. Dad backed out the Buick to make room for a shipment of balsawood, Hobie got out his drawknife and carved out his very first surfboard. Friends soon started dropping by and before you knew it there was no room left for the Buick—Hobie’s business of fun had begun.

Hobie and the sport grew together. A couple of years and 40 tons of sawdust later, Hobie opened up Southern California’s first surf shop in Dana Point. Then in 1958 Hobie and buddy Gordon “Grubby” Clark began experimenting with new materials, literally inventing the polyurethane foam surfboard. The new boards were lighter, faster and easier to ride than anything else in the water. Suddenly everyone wanted to be a surfer — and every surfer wanted a Hobie.
    By the mid-1960s, while the Beach Boys were making records, the legendary Hobie Surf Team was setting them. Hobie’s lineup was a veritable Who’s Who of surfing greats. Phil Edwards, Joey Cabell, Corky Carroll, Micky Munoz, Joyce Hoffman, Joey Hamasaki, Gary Propper, Billy Hamilton and Herbie Fletcher are just a few of the champions who supported the distinctive Hobie diamond logo over the years.

In the late 60’s Hobie started messing around in boats. Hobie developed a prototype for a lightweight, fast and easy-to-sail playboat based on the Polynesian twin-hulled catamaran. History soon repeated itself. What Hobie’s foam surfboard did for surfing, the Hobie Cat did for sailing, introducing a whole new way to have fun in the sun and revolutionizing an industry in the process. In the past four decades, more people have taken to the water on a Hobie Cat than almost any other sailboat design. Hobie Cats are still the world’s best selling cats and it’s hard to find a body of water on any continent that doesn’t have an active Hobie racing fleet.

So what do you all think ? How far could I push that little sailboat ? Best of all I don't need to wait for a dock space and I can just launch her at the public launch and get my sailing fix.

Opinions, observations and questions please.

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: Thinking about getting a Hobie 16

Yes. Absolutely. And post vids.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    And post vids.
    redundant
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

CATALINA! 26 miles! Let's go! Bring the GoPro. I'll bring the garmin inreach and a radio
    Without friends none of this is possible.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I still have my Hobie 14, but the hull is soft in some places and trampoline looks terrible. Years ago, I applied some extra fiberglass mat in a couple places. It would need more of that now.

I was a Hobie dealer back in the late '70s and have owned Hobie 14s, 16's and an 18. The boat in the photo above looks like it is a 14 Turbo, which has the roller furling jib added to the standard battened main, along with a single trapeze wire to give you more ability to keep it upright. A 14, either with the jib or without is a really fun boat for one person, though not as good for two, mostly due to limited volume in the hulls. If both people move to the same general area on the tramp, that part of the hull starts to submerge.

The sixteen has substantially more hull volume and makes a pretty darned nice beach boat for two. Biggest gripe would be the big jib roach with battens. The jib tends to hang up on the mast and halyards when tacking. You want to trim down the jib battens (aft end and then put the end caps back on) so that the battens are not hanging out beyond the pockets at the leech. Then you nearly always want to let the jib back-wind when tacking. This does two things - it helps push the bows over onto the new tack and the pressure when you get there helps to blow the jib leech past the mast and over to the new tack. Given the option on either a 14 or 16, I would much rather have a mesh trampoline than a solid vinyl one. If you are heeled way over and the wind gets under a solid vinyl tramp, it will be much more likely to blow the boat over.

I really loved my big blue Hobie 18, and in many ways it solved many of the little annoying things that the 14 and 16 had. More buoyant bows and rounder hull cross-sections meant that at high speed you were less likely to stuff a bow and pitchpole and you didn't have to have a situation where both sailors were on their wires and trying to stand on the last 18" of the hull to keep the banana bows of a 16 out of the water. The 18 was certainly a more sophisticated sailboat, but with all the extra rigging and the two big daggerboards to deal with it is probably not as good in the role of "fun, simple beach boat".

My 18 on the right, a 16 on the left.

Hobie-Cats.jpg

How far can you push it? We used to have an old video at the shop showing Hobie 14s in the surf, flying off the top of waves going out and screaming back in. The 14's and 16's are usually sailed with pretty slack rigs, so the rig will slam around a bit in big waves. You want to make sure the nicopress ovals on the shrouds look sound. My last Hobie was an ancient 14 that I bought cheap and eventually restored. My first test sail I was running pretty large waves and pounding through them. The rig was shaking and the grommets were ripping out of the old trampoline as it bounced.

The 18's are the better boat. They don't rock so much, and are much faster for little weight penalty. I found the banana shape / rocker of the 16's meant it was much easier to dig one hull in and pitchpole if you push it.

Really fun boats! A great idea.

We have two 18's in the sailing club. One is the most frequently rescued boat in the club. I have crewed for the owner, it's a powerful boat and I'm sure it scares hi and that's why he gets into trouble.
    The other is owned by a family of 5 that often use it as a picnic boat with everyone on board at once. Two adults and two teenagers on the tramp….and a 9 year old in trapeze harness………………….

Don't forget Nacra & Prindle cats. Neither have the reputation for pitchpoling the smaller Hobies have.

Zipping along way out on the trapeze with the water flying by right under you is a blast - as is a sailboat that accelerates fast enough to make you have to brace yourself.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Yes. Absolutely. And post vids.
    Pre vids too!

I've enjoyed sailing the Wave at various vacation spots over the last decade or so. I had a H16 for a few years, I think the Wave is the better boat.
    What color are their hands now?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    The 18's are the better boat. They don't rock so much, and are much faster for little weight penalty. I found the banana shape / rocker of the 16's meant it was much easier to dig one hull in and pitchpole if you push it.

Really fun boats! A great idea.
    From what I read they don't make the 18 anymore the closest I can find is the Getaway

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 7.52.52 AM.jpg

• SPECIFICATIONS *
    • Crew: 1-6 (US) \ 3-4 (EU)
    • Length: 17' / 5.18 m
    • Beam: 7' 8" / 2.34 m
    • Capacity: 1000 lbs/453 kg (US) / 661 lbs/300 kg (EU)
    • Weight: 390lbs / 176 kg
    • Draft w/ Rudder Up: 10" / 25.4 cm
    • Mast Length: 25' / 7.62 m
    • Total Sail Area: 180 ft² / 17 m²
    • Hull Construction: Rotomolded Polyethylene
    • Height From Floor to Bow: 29.5" / 74.93 cm
    • Height From Floor to Stern: 17.5" / 44.45 cm

https://www.hobie.com/sail/getaway/

On one of our Key West visits the big local news was two high schoolers who loaded their HobieCat with a water jug and a bag of sandwiches and set sail for Havana. No political intent. Just dumb teens. Cuban Coasties picked them up and handed them off to USCG. Cuba confiscated the Hobie.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Some experience with a 16 up here in Puget Sound. Way fun, but never pushed it too hard because the thought of trying to right it in 50 deg water wasn't too appealing.

A friend of mine whose mom and dad were the Hobie dealer around here when he was a kid just recently got back into racing them and he is loving it. Not my personal cup o' tea (I have sailed a catamaran twice, raced it once. An 18' Nacra), but the goal is to have fun no matter what you are doing, and it appears that the beach cats are making a bit of a comeback.

Enjoy.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

As a teen in high school, my Hobie 16s were a thrill. Girls loved to come out with me, sail about, get scared and we would beach on small sandy islands for lunch. Proved to be quite the love boat.

Maybe Joe is on to something in Dana Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    As a teen in high school, my Hobie 16s were a thrill. Girls loved to come out with me, sail about, get scared and we would beach on small sandy islands for lunch. Proved to be quite the love boat.

Maybe Joe is on to something in Dana Point.
    Tidbit was like that for me. Docked among dock queens and old Sea Rays who's owners couldn’t afford fuel to take them out often. Tidbit was ready to go out anytime sometimes 3 times a day

I remember dating a bunch of women and always taking them out on an afternoon sail. The Old Salts sipping there Coors Light would come up and whisper to me "How do you always come to the Boat Club with a different beautiful woman" I whispered back " All you need a classic wooden sailboat as your Mojo " FWIW it's how I snagged Renee on our first date

Yep, it looks like they dumped the 14 and 18 (I think there was also a 17 for a while) and now they have a couple of rotomolds in the line, along with the original 16. I would suspect that there might be a lot of used Hobie Cats out there as well. With your interest and background in cycling Joe, you should at least try out that little two-place trimaran with the small sail and pedal-powered mirage drives. They are a truly amazing propulsion system. It may or may not be enough of a "sailboat" to satisfy your cravings, but it is a very cool boat.

29EF6277-05D3-4F79-9BAC-FF7257764869.jpg

I say go for it, Joe!

If you get good you may want to tackle “Killer Capo” which is an outside reef south of Dana Point Harbor at Capistrano Shores. This ‘bombora’ only breaks on the largest of south swells, and was famously surfed with Hobie Cats.

Hobie 16s are great. The HW and other stuff does have a tendency to break, not for sure if this is due to lack of maintenance or a little under built. Of course, everything is easy to repair unless you are a few miles off shore. I used to have a good friend who had a beach cat, and he liked to take his quite a ways offshore (he didn't even know how to swim). He owned a different brand due to this factor (maybe a prindle?, not for sure). Regardless, I have been on them when the tiller has broken, the sheave at the top of the mast broke loose.

Now, I have to admit that a boat I really want to own one day is the Hobie Tandem Island Venture. Our local sailmaker is a Hobie dealer and a few years back when picking up a sail, I spent a good 30 minutes or so studying the one they had on display. That would just be a super cool PWC to own. Very well through out for good on the water exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Yep, it looks like they dumped the 14 and 18 (I think there was also a 17 for a while) and now they have a couple of rotomolds in the line, along with the original 16. I would suspect that there might be a lot of used Hobie Cats out there as well. With your interest and background in cycling Joe, you should at least try out that little two-place trimaran with the small sail and pedal-powered mirage drives. They are a truly amazing propulsion system. It may or may not be enough of a "sailboat" to satisfy your cravings, but it is a very cool boat.
    As for the rotomolds, I have some experience on those. A few years ago while staying in a resort in Puerto Vallerta, my son and I rented two of the 17 feet ones for 8 of us to take out. It was way too windy and we shouldn't have done it, had to slip the kid managing them that day an extra 20 or 30 bucks to get him to agree. But they held up through all of the hard submerging of the bow off of waves, almost lost a couple of kids off the front a couple of times. But I have also rented those in light air and they are dogs. The small one without the jib is almost impossible to tack.

Now that we have drifted into other Hobies....Anyone have any experience with the Hobie Trifoiler? I know nothing about it, but the videos look like it was a screamer

Back to the topic. Joe, I had my Bobcat on a dolly on the shores of Lake Washington, rigged and ready to go. I could be sailing 10 minutes after I parked the car. It meant that I could steal an hour or two and get out on the water
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

CATALINA! 26 miles! Let's go! Bring the GoPro. I'll bring the garmin inreach and a radio
    I wasn’t thinking of sailing out to Catalina, but is that something even possible ( within Crazy Bronx Joe sailing capabilities ) with something like the Getaway ? Because you know me I’d be willing to give it a go LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I wasn’t thinking of sailing out to Catalina, but is that something even possible ( within Crazy Bronx Joe sailing capabilities ) with something like the Getaway ? Because you know me I’d be willing to give it a go LOL
    I am willing to bet the Hobie Club in Dana Point has a done it in a flotilla or have member who do it on their own. It would amazing ride to Two Harbors. Stay over night and head home the next day. 26 to 30 miles could be covered in a few hours. Renee could take the ferry and bring the dog.

The NACRA might be a good alternative as well. I am considering a 5.8 or a 20 too for the Lake and other places. Could tow it behind the Bug, small truck/suv or even a Tesla.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Baby Beach Dana Point Harbor, we launch from there all the time.
    OMG that looks like so much fun

Looks like fun.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Man, I love my 16. I sail it on Lake Michigan…well, until we lost the beach to launched from to erosion. Love surfing it on the shore break and have routinely not had any portion of it touching the water on the way out. Such an immensely fun and capable boat.

The John Marples Seaclipper 16 and 20 trimarans use Hobie 14 and 16 rigs to make 'em go. If you root out a cheap rig, you'd have a quick trimaran and be drier than a Hobie.

seaclipper-16
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 06-06-2022 at 03:55 PM.

I am willing to bet the Hobie Club in Dana Point has a done it in a flotilla or have member who do it on their own. It would amazing ride to Two Harbors. Stay over night and head home the next day. 26 to 30 miles could be covered in a few hours. Renee could take the ferry and bring the dog.

The NACRA might be a good alternative as well. I am considering a 5.8 or a 20 too for the Lake and other places. Could tow it behind the Bug, small truck/suv or even a Tesla.
    A friend & I towed a Nacra 18 all over the east coast with a 320i - 4 cyl. non turbo underpowered car - which towed it NP. We even had 2 races in which we didn't finish last!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Looks like fun.
    OK that just sold me
    We are getting one. How cool is that, camp sailing out to Catalina

Hobies are great boats. Their sailing capabilities are a bit compromised in order to accommodate their primary design feature as a beach boat. A better sailing boat would be a Nacra, or a Prindle, or a Tornado, or a P-Cat, or a .....How ya gonna use it?

As for Santa Cunnilingus on a 16. Been there, done that! Doing it on a 14 takes longer and is even more uncomfortable. I don't recommend trying it in a Sabot. Somebody is gonna have to tow you in the last couple of miles in failing light and no wind, and when you do manage to finally get your feet on terra firma, you're gonna be cold and wet and miserable. You'll be wishing for the luxury of a Hobie 14.

Don't even think of trying it from DP. Much better sail from Long Beach. Even better from LA Harbor, in fact, if I'm leaving from LB, I'm gonna spend an hour or 2 or 3, beating up to Angels Gate and depending on the wind perhaps even further, to the Point Fermin buoy, before attempting to cross the "Great Silver Pond".
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

OK so searching on the Hobie Site and the only place to buy a new Hobie is all the way down in San Diego.
    Local craigslist, facebook marketplace, have nothing.

So where do we find a Hobie 17 or a Hobie Getaway ?

why not find a club you can rent one from? Doing not owning.

OK so searching on the Hobie Site and the only place to buy a new Hobie is all the way down in San Diego.
    Local craigslist, facebook marketplace, have nothing.

So where do we find a Hobie 17 or a Hobie Getaway ?
    don't buy new. Take a look at a NACRA. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/...496131329.html