Thread: Bob Marley: Union Thug

Default Bob Marley: Union Thug

Says author and Marley biographer Christopher John Farley, “He (Bob) was a card-carrying member of the United Auto Workers’ Union. He had a job at the Chrysler Newark Assembly plant in Newark, Delaware; on South College Avenue. Bob usually worked the second shift. The experience would later inspire his song “Nightshift.”

"I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Default Re: Bob Marley: Union Thug

Belonging to the UAW makes him a thug???

Quote Originally Posted by cathouse willy View Post
    Belonging to the UAW makes him a thug???
    A right-wing anti-union slur that union members have taken on as a badge of honor. I'm one of them.

For example:

New Jersey governor Chris Christie ... in an April 2011 interview with ABC News about teachers there.

"I believe the teachers in New Jersey in the main are wonderful public servants that care deeply," Christie said. "But their union, their union are a group of political thugs."
    https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-encompassing/

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Social consciousness permeates all his music.

I'm a union member and find the 'thug' slur offensive.
    I know lots of people in the union. They're all ordinary working people. Through the union we negotiate with our employer. Sometimes we don't like the result, sometimes they don't. However, for the most part, Directors a senior management also enjoy the benefits the union negotiated (Leave, maternity, safe workplaces, pay rises, sick pay and so on...)
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

We once had a U.S. Forumite who loved calling union members (like me... first with UAW 425 and now a UAW 862 retiree) "thugs." I had him in mind when I started this thread.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 06-06-2022 at 05:04 AM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

New Jersey governor Chris Christie ... in an April 2011 interview with ABC News about teachers there.

"I believe the teachers in New Jersey in the main are wonderful public servants that care deeply," Christie said. "But their union, their union are a group of political thugs."
    Must be doing something right if a RWW has only got insults as a political argument.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Social consciousness permeates all his music.

I'm a union member and find the 'thug' slur offensive.
    I know lots of people in the union. They're all ordinary working people. Through the union we negotiate with our employer. Sometimes we don't like the result, sometimes they don't. However, for the most part, Directors a senior management also enjoy the benefits the union negotiated (Leave, maternity, safe workplaces, pay rises, sick pay and so on...)
    Here in Wisconsin, the "union thug" slur first came to prominence during the 2011 protests in Madison, where 150,000+ union members protested at the state Capitol building every day for weeks, to try and prevent then-governor Scott Walker (a Republican, and really, a Trumper before Trump existed) and Republicans from ending collective bargaining for public workers. Despite the protests, collective bargaining was eliminated, and still doesn't exist.

Here's the result:

Wisconsin experienced the largest drop in workforce union membership of any state since the start of the century, according to a Wisconsin Policy Forum report released Tuesday. The shift represents sweeping changes in the private and public sectors.According to the report, 17.8 percent of employed Wisconsin workers were part of a union in 2000. By 2021, that number fell to 7.9 percent.
    "(N)early all states have seen a decline in the concentration of their workforce that is unionized over the last 20 years, but none more so than Wisconsin," the report said.
    The state's 9.9 percent drop was the largest in the country, beating the national average of a 3.1 percent loss.
    Source

Many of the protesters were public school teachers (me included). Nurses were also prominent. As was the AFL/CIO and AFSCME.

It was so utterly ludicrous to have grade school teachers and nurses, whose only "crime" was to chant things like "This is what democracy looks like" and hold signs, be characterized as "thugs" that some started wearing T-shirts with "Union Thug" printed on it. No one does irony like a 60-year-old kindergarten teacher with "Union Thug" printed on her T-shirt. But people like here made Republicans VERY afraid.

A few years later, Walker and the Republicans ended collective bargaining for private workers as well (exactly as predicted by teachers and nurses) and ended all due process protections for workers by making Wisconsin a "right to work" state (i.e. a state where employers can fire anyone at any time for any reason, or in fact for no reason at all). Since then, when school districts fire teachers, all they will typically say is "You are not a good fit for the district." This makes it virtually impossible to prove a wrongful termination.

Anyway, that's a brief history of the "union slug" slur around here.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com