Thread: Good Sail & Oar Boat Available (Kurylko Alaska-not mine!)

Default Good Sail & Oar Boat Available (Kurylko Alaska-not mine!)

Standard disclaimer applies: I have no connection to this boat, and no connection to the owner other than talking via phone/email because I was curious to know whether it might be the same Alaska that a guy named Gary Lundgren sailed up to Alaska (the state) and back one year with a big white dog named Elvis (it isn't).

But even without the big white dog, if you're looking for the chance to own a good row/sail boat without needing to build it yourself, here's your chance!

Boat is now located in eastern Canada, so maybe delivery to east coast U.S. might be possible? Or close enough to make a pick-up worthwhile.

Boat looks to be built strictly to Don Kurylko's plans, including the planked deck (I'm lazy and painted mine instead) and outboard well; also features the daggerboard option (I prefer centerboards, but the daggerboard does give you a bit more space aboard in what is, after all, quite a small boat as far as interior volume goes):

1.jpg

It seems to float just fine:

2.jpg:

After talking to the owner, it sounds like the boat got a pretty thorough refit/overhaul recently, so is in good shape:

3.jpg

Hull is now a pale greenish color, which is what all the most stylish Alaska sailors are driving these days...

DSCN5660 (2).jpg

(In case it's not obvious, that last photo is my own boat, not the one in this post).

If I find out any more, I'll post it here. Meanwhile, if you're interesting in owning this boat, I got ahold of the owner at this email:

larry@ltol.com

Happy sailing!

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 06-05-2022 at 06:55 AM.
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Default Re: Good Sail & Oar Boat Available (Kurylko Alaska-not mine!)

I wonder what paint he put on the bottom. Or is that a graphite-infused epoxy coating?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

It has the graphite look to my eye, but I'm only guessing.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Is there a link to the sale posting?

Quote Originally Posted by AJBTC View Post
    Is there a link to the sale posting?
    There's no sale posting that I know of, although it sounded like the owner might be putting an ad on the Small Craft Advisor website at some point. I got in touch via his email after he visited my website and sent me a message. So right now, I think that email is the best contact info:

larry@ltol.com

I don't think he's looking to get rich off the sale, so maybe you can get a reasonable price for what looks like a good boat in good shape.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I did a bit of digging and found out some more details on the boat--as an Alaska sailor myself, I'd love to see this one find a good home. Again, I have no personal or financial connection to this boat at all, but it sure looks to be a beauty for the kind of sailing/cruising I love to do:

1.jpg

Here's what I know:

Asking price: $5,700

Includes:

--a fully rehabbed boat (from keel up), fully painted (sounds like the work was done professionally, at Tern Boatworks)

--three pairs of oars, two came with the boat, one is Shaw & Tenney (8.5 feet);

--EZ Loader trailer;

--2 masts, sails, yards;

--daggerboard and rudder

--custom Sunbrella boat cover

The boat is apparently in Halifax, NS. It sounds like delivery to Calais, Maine, might be an option for an extra $150.

Owner contact: larry@ltol.com

If you do buy this boat, we expect a thread and lots of photos! You might find yourself sailing around in places like this:

Where I Was 2.jpg

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Alas...wrong coast! That'd be perfect for the Salish 100!

That's a great deal! Hope she finds a good home soon.

Mike

Alas...wrong coast! That'd be perfect for the Salish 100!
    Judging by the transom, I think that boat once lived on this coast. I live in Terrace, BC. I had no idea a boat like that was ever in the neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    Judging by the transom, I think that boat once lived on this coast. I live in Terrace, BC. I had no idea a boat like that was ever in the neighbourhood.
    Yep, it was built in Terrace, BC originally. Not sure how it ended up on the east coast--I think the present owner bought it while living in the U.S. west coast, and then moved to Nova Scotia later, where the boat was refurbished professionally.

The owner's phone # is: 530-913-5741 if anyone has questions about all that. Seems like a good boat for anyone looking for this kind of boat.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

DANG, as an Alaskan, with plans in hand for an Alaska ....this is way cheaper than I can build one. Anyone interested in sailing to Alaska to deliver a boat?
    Last edited by greywuuf; 07-13-2022 at 04:35 AM.