Thread: the greatest camera lens mount system of all time, discontinued. . .

Default the greatest camera lens mount system of all time, discontinued. . .

nikon to abandon dslr's and the fmount within two years
    they've already pulled the plug on 14 f mount lenses

dslr's and dslr lens make up only 30% of nikon revenue stream from camera and lens sales as of today

in other news, nikon currently produces 24 z mount lenses and has plans to launch an additional 20 z mount lenses in the next two years
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: the greatest camera lens mount system of all time, discontinued. . .

Nikon struggles. It's not the same Nikon we knew. There market share is down and full frame is their future. Evolve or die.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: the greatest camera lens mount system of all time, discontinued. . .

I doubt there will be a 24x36 DSLR still in production three years hence.

Huge size, weight and mechanical complexity when compared with their mirrorless brethern.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Z is the letter du jour.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I own a couple of Nikons. From an AW 130 "coolpix" underwater capable digital to a D5300 to my newest.. an AW 1 underwater digital with interchangeable lenses. I love them all. the AW130 goes most everywhere I go.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

We should note that Canon has dominated the space with economical dslrs for nearly 15 years and has also has had superior customer service in their entire range of products with dominance in the DSLR range. Someone starting out or thinking they will buy in to a system - Canon proves to be the better partner and their lenses are backwards compatible compatible to full frame has been less painful. Nikon no long operates a call center or provides direct customer support, has made it difficult to get cameras repaired under warranty and screwed over those folks who bought into an expensive system that is dead ending.

I have found that Nikons and Canons full frame cameras are less robust and can not stand high temperatures. I always loved the feel of old Nikons. The weather sealing is lackluster on the Z and the construction feels cheaper so it can be lightened.

nikon has a breadth of pro level lenses in fmount unmatched by anyone - it looks like this is their plan with the z mount going forward

canon makes three really good zooms, and a couple of noteworthy white super teles for sports and wildlife

nobody does portraiture or wide or reportage like nikon
    nobody does forwards and backwards compatibility like nikon

Hasselblad?

M39 or M42 screw as mounts?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

If you can’t take it with an iPhone nobody needed to see it anyway…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Hasselblad?

M39 or M42 screw as mounts?
    beautiful cameras and lenses and stunning image quality
    exceedingly expensive, not widely adopted, not as user friendly as any camera ever from japan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Nikon has a breadth of pro level lenses in exquisite unmatched by anyone - it looks like this is their plan with the z mount going forward

canon makes three really good zooms, and a couple of noteworthy white super teles for sports and wildlife

nobody does portraiture or wide or reportage like Nikon
    nobody does forwards and backwards compatibility like exquisite
    That is not true. It used to be true. Canon has had a superior lens program for years as it has provided a cross platform solution to prosumer to professional gear. The Canon electronics in the lenses have made it easier and backwards compatible for folks to set the camera on automatic and shoot in real times for sports, nature photography and portraitures. a 70mm to 105 single lens is what most use on either platform to take a pro photo of a person. I also have found the subtle differences in a the D7 mark 1 exquisite in simplicity and has the look of film. it is what has brought me around to embrace photography. The Nikon DSLRs i use are more utility and less artful if there is such a thing. I use both and glad to have fun each with a job to do.

Nikon glass is great and you pay for a milled metal tube. The Z lenses are new and made in authoritarian countries. It may not matter to you in this regard but ever since Nikon moved its main plants away from Japan the quality has dropped. The fineness in construction and pride is gone. The reason one drops significant cash into lenses is how it feels, how it makes the user feel and the images it produces. I would say the cheap plastic lenses do match up to any expensive glass 98 percent of the time. Moreover few needs more than 24 meg photos and most are fine with a sensible three kit plastic lens solution, a flexible view finder and semiautomatic box of 5 fps.

Currently your iPhone 13 can, does the heavy lifting. Pulling out the Z or F gun only gives the shooter satisfaction with little chance to go to the commercial market.

note - the cheap now Canon 7D made me love photography again. I do not see a reason to shoot film anymore. I don't have time to develop it nor do I have the drive to carry more crap around when it is only for me. I just have to remember to print what i shoo to keep the moment on paper. For cold hard image capture to blow up on a screen - the new nikon is a nice tool.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 06-05-2022 at 10:35 AM.

No time for film, Ted? What happened to your joie de vivre. Alas, iPhones and plywood are the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

A guy at the boatshop, an avid birder, ordered. Z9 from B&H two weeks ago. They told him to expect delivery by July 1. He keeps his fingers crossed.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    No time for film, Ted? What happened to your joie de vivre. Alas, iPhones and plywood are the future.
    have you seen plywood prices lately???