Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystic and Me 2022

Default Mystic and Me 2022

Is there no existing thread on the Mystic show or am I just too inept to find it?

I would prefer to assume I'm not all that inept but then there is reality. However, the good news there is that my reality just improved for the much better.
    I got back from the doc today and I'm out of the boot and have healed well enough to drive a manual transmission car with a performance clutch 1000 miles from here to CT at the end of June. And so I plan to do just that.

What is going on, who is going, when is lobster night and apologies if there's an extent thread on this.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Default Re: Mystic and Me 2022

I'm glad to hear that your recovery went well. Enjoy the drive!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Woo hoo on her healing Lew!

Ill be there.

Wow, Lew and Cris? Things are shaping up nicely.

I'm hoping to get to Mystic one more time, but I'm not optimistic.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Yup, there’s a thread… damned if I can find it. I’ll be there, with Pless, Steven and Mary Bauer, and who knows else.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Jelly-
    Without friends none of this is possible.

I actually deleted this thread (I thought) but here it is, alive and humiliating me still. But, I'll take advantage of it and use to to report on my progress.

I drove the Lotus in traffic yesterday to see how I was doing in that respect. I also walked the dog, first time in seven months I attempted walking any distance on my own. Walking the dog was hard, my hips ached, my legs were weak and my ankle is quite a bit weaker than I first though. Driving in traffic was difficult as my clutch foot got tired and a tiny bit sore rather quickly. I'm not giving up and I'll keep at it but it was a little discouraging.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

Jelly-

Wrong car, same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Wrong car, same concept.
    we could paint a giant thunder chicken on the front bonnet while youre in mystic

amish rob is a wiz with a sharpie - i'm thinking gold metal flake gel art sharpie

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

I'm not giving up and I'll keep at it but it was a little discouraging.
    Just keep walking! Must have been fun to be in the Lotus, too.

Is a roadtrip rental car out of the question?
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Entirely out of the question, never in the picture, was very, very late to the first interview and dressed inappropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I'm glad to hear that your recovery went well. Enjoy the drive!
    Thanks, Grant!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    we could paint a giant thunder chicken on the front bonnet while youre in mystic

amish rob is a wiz with a sharpie - i'm thinking gold metal flake gel art sharpie
    You could do that especially if you want to see just how vicious a crazed, naked 76 year old man armed with a revolver and a machete and thirsting for revenge can be.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 06-05-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Maybe I could drive the Lotus (mostly). You can be my Sally Fields and make the music list. I'll pack a light backpack with room
    for those glitter sharpies. We do not have to stop at any gun shows but I think there are a few Cracker Barrel's along the way.

D5C385C3-A538-4148-9E18-2C0330C6013B.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Yeah.

Suddenly feel like I’ve contracted Covid, and I’ll likely miss the plane.
    Just drop the sharpie and step away from the Lotus!

Maybe I could drive the Lotus (mostly). You can be my Sally Fields and make the music list. I'll pack a light backpack with room
    for those glitter sharpies. We do not have to stop at any gun shows but I think there are a few Cracker Barrel's along the way.

D5C385C3-A538-4148-9E18-2C0330C6013B.jpg
    You wouldn't be the first rat to road trip in the thing and I would love the company. It's an ambitious drive but the Lotus is more than up to it and comfortable enough to not be an issue. It does the GT thing fairy well for a car most people would consider hardcore. And it's better on the slab than you'd guess from looking at it. The truth is, it's pretty refined everywhere that matters. So yeah....!!! The real race is getting my left foot up to speed. I'm a little shocked at how wasted it is and was hoping for a little more endurance. I have a couple of weeks to make it work. Probably a good idea to drive the thing a lot now to get in practice. .
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 06-05-2022 at 04:54 PM.

You wouldn't be the first rat to road trip in the thing and I would love the company. It's an ambitious drive but the Lotus is more than up to it and comfortable enough to not be an issue. It does the GT thing fairy well for a car most people would consider hardcore. And it's better on the slab than you'd guess from looking at it. The truth is, it's pretty refined everywhere that matters. So yeah....!!! The real race is getting my left foot up to speed. I'm a little shocked at how wasted it is and was hoping for a little more endurance. I have a couple of weeks to make it work. Probably a good idea to drive the thing a lot now to get in practice. .
    Glad you are healing and it takes work. i am in nearly 5 months recovery from breaking 4 toes and plus bones inside in my right foot. It does suck. a good foot massage and swimming helps plus proper comfortable shoes. It is good news the Lotus gets a good start now and again with you behind the wheel.

If I sold the second boat soon and had a driving partner - we would swing by Nashville and we could convoy. I figure 2 days to do 2300 miles then another 13 hours to Mystic. We'd be pretty spent too.

Screen Shot 2022-06-05 at 3.07.11 PM.jpg

Cris could fit in the back but she would not be happy.

996+int+31411945047.jpg

Cris could fit in the back but she would not be happy.
    cris is two maybe three inches taller than i am. . .

Good luck with the trip, Mr. Barrett. I am afraid that I will not make it again this year, as I am probably home for the summer after a couple of trips to Colorado and a couple to Maine already this year, with more to follow this Autumn, but dang it, I sure would like to go.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    cris is two maybe three inches taller than i am. . .
    And maybe 150 lbs lighter? He could curl up in that back seat easy.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

only children curl up easily in the back of a 911

and there's no way in hell that cris weighs only 135 pounds

So that’s a no on the rental car.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

^ And I suppose an innocent suggestion you try to 'speed shift / power shift' the Lotus to 'save' your left foot would not be welcomed ( sort of on a par with glitter sharpies, I imagine )
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Glad you are healing and it takes work. .........Cris could fit in the back but she would not be happy.

996+int+31411945047.jpg
    It's actually sized better for you back there. . There is no hope a normal human could revert sit back there. Even Peter Dinklage would not have enough legroom. Good for luggage though. two carryons no problem. Then the rear for soft luggage.

No ice cream recommended back there behind the motor though. Well, no road food edibles, cosmetics or anything that shouldn't be heated to over 125F for that matter. Only good to keep yer shooting' iron warm. But fun to hustle.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Good luck with the trip, Mr. Barrett. I am afraid that I will not make it again this year, as I am probably home for the summer after a couple of trips to Colorado and a couple to Maine already this year, with more to follow this Autumn, but dang it, I sure would like to go.

Mickey Lake
    Would love to see you there Mickster. I don't know how many more times I'll make it but if you decide to go one of these next times, I could too!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    So that’s a no on the rental car.

It'd be easier to fly and rent and cheaper too but where's the fun in that? Anyway, I bought the car to drive it. I'm not saving it for the next guy but keeping it for myself. It's more fun and more comfortable than a motorcycle. I will never be without a sports car again and pity the future that they'll never know what it was like when people rode bikes and drove cars. It is not the future, this thing. It's a last extreme excess of the present. Sorta like motorboats!
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 06-06-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    For the record, I’d never damage anyone’s stuff.

Also, I honestly consider this thread to be a mortal threat to me, and I will avoid you and your car, completely, if I go. I have had so much anxiety over these threats, I am seriously considering not attending.

I don’t think I can relax around a bunch who’d find humor in damaging your car for me to take the blame. Especially after I’ve been mortally threatened; and I take the threat seriously.

Seriously. I don’t find this “humor” in any way amusing.

This is way way out there and nothing I find funny either. If you're serious in this, you really need to take a break and talk to somebody about your condition. If you're not serious, I can't wait to see you again.

First of all, nobody will ever hurt this car more than I will. I've already backed it into a metal garbage can, hit a flying timber at speed on the highway and scratched the driver's side door. It's a street car so stuff will happen. Even though I take great care with it and repair anything as fast as I can, it will collect some scars. I'll fix them and move on.

You should move on too. You didn't ask for this advice, or maybe you did but you'll have it anyway. If you are seriously threatened by my play in apparent poor taste and it actually affects your decision to go to Mystic, know that I have been looking forward you seeing you again....at least until I read your miserable excuse of a post. I thought we were friends. Never felt otherwise and wouldn't let inadvertent damage to something trivial that I own ever drive me to harm another. I certainly was kidding. I sincerely hope you were kidding too but for some reason I get that you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    ^ And I suppose an innocent suggestion you try to 'speed shift / power shift' the Lotus to 'save' your left foot would not be welcomed ( sort of on a par with glitter sharpies, I imagine )
    HAH! I would love to know just what a hard launch in the thing feels like but it's my car so I only know what putting it to the metal after doing a shift or two feels like. It's got a really cool third gear roll on that doesn't feel abusive but gets the point across nicely. The Lotus is sort of a challenging road go fast car where the middle gears sing the song. Long gearing, it's good for 85MPH in second gear, third over 100. Top speed in 5th (6th is very much an OD) is 185-190, so they say. Quarter mile is mid 12s, so it's fast Euro style rather than quick American style. Or maybe that's the other way around. I'm a pussy these days so I just punch it in neutral to make a lot of noise when pretty people are looking.

The only thing tight in Mystic is room availability. I may need a roomie.

I’ll be staying on board. Will there be showers available for us overnighted?

Cris and I just got rooms but they're a bit of a drive away and I suspect we'll find they are expensive for what's on offer. But we have rooms.

I really like maritime museums, and Mystic is very much on the list . .

My favorites so far would be the Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax and the New Zealand Maritime Museum in Auckland.

I wonder if the Draken Harald is still at Mystic ??

https://stories.mysticseaport.org/dr...ystic-seaport/