Thread: Knives in Canada

Default Knives in Canada

For a little getaway this summer, I plan to ride my bicycle from Burlington to Montreal, then take a train to Chambord and follow La Route de Bleuets, then train back to Montreal and ride to Burlington. I anticipate a mix of camping and B&Bs. My question is can I bring my pocket knife with me? The Canada web sites about tourism are pretty murky on the subject. Since we have several regulars here, who live in Canada, I am hoping for illumination.
    Thanks/Merci in advance.

Default Re: Knives in Canada

No issue unless you're trying to fly.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Googled it and can't see why you wouldn't be able to bring it. Border guards always have discretion but as long as the blade is small, no springy/flippy stuff, pack it with your camping gear, declare it, and never say it's for self defense.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

You will likely have better luck than I did trying to get in the Social Security Office with a pocket knife. My Opinel No. 6 went back to the car.
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Canadian knife laws are that they're to be tools, not weapons. So the restrictions are for weapon-ish things like push daggers, double-edged rather than single edged knives, knives with knuckleduster hilts intended to help you punch someone in the jaw, etc. Those are expressly prohibited, because there's precious little "tool" value in a push dagger.

In contrast, my kukri - with a 12" blade, and fierce military history - is fine, provided that I'm using it as a tool. Which is how most Nepalese have always used them - chopping firewood etc rather than humans.

But the hitch is that you need to carry whatever blade you're carrying in the context of using it as a tool. Fine to wear a big bowie knife while out hunting, or to carry a 10" Chef's knife in a roll while going to the restaurant where you work. Less fine to take either to go to the bar and talk to a client about a late payment on a loan.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    For a little getaway this summer, ...
    David, you know how to do vacation right! That sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you have a blast.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Thanks all.
    I would hate to lose an old friend knife, similarly, I would rather not travel with an ersatz substitute.

I've had a SAK in my pocket since I left home in 1977. Never a problem (although I stay out of formal trouble), except when airline flying after 911.

It's slightly normal to wear a belt knife if you're up north. Legitimacy is affirmed if you smell bad -- like you gutted a moose three days ago and just got into town. Same with fisheries -- stinking like old cod.

But I wouldn't wear a belt knife south of the Muskokas. Asking for problems from suburbanites.

And the belt knife should be sensible, not some weird rambo fantasy.

I know a guy who was charged with 'possession of a weapon',because he had an 18" chunk of broom handle wrapped with grip tape,in his truck.
    Also in his truck were trade tools like hammers,chisels and box cutters.

I have a folding filleting knife in the door pocket,because more than once someone has shown up on site or at the shop with a fish for sale.

If your camping shouldn't have much to worry about if you're carrying normal gear.

R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I'd worry more about bringing it back. US Border agents watch way too many TV cop shows.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

[QUOTE=Ron Williamson;6671546]I know a guy who was charged with 'possession of a weapon',because he had an 18" chunk of broom handle wrapped with grip tape,in his truck.

I have a one metre long wooden club I carved out of an old broken shovel handle.
    It has a cord through a hole at one end so it won't slip off my wrist when in use.
    It is used as a "Priest", giving "Last Rites" to fish I catch.
    I had it my car one day and it was seen by a Community Constable who knew me well.
    He told me to put it back in the boat where it belonged as in the car it was an "offensive weapon"
    It now stays in the boat full time.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.