Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R2ak

Default Re: R2ak

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    It's a good event mostly because of the lack of racing rules and protest committees though its popularity is attracting some who are not up to the challenge.
    In addition to the first leg qualifier, proof of a previous endurance race?
    Maybe use some sort of intimidation to weed out the irresponsible sailors. Anyone stupid enough to take a non-offshore boat out in gale warnings, small craft advisories or similar and need rescuing gets banned?
    There are at least some restrictions -- they have to apply and get approved to be able to race. There was a (not all that great) self-filmed documentary by one of the teams that talked about that process -- they were allowed to do it, even though they had little sailing experience, because it was a family of commercial fisherman (so they knew the area really well). So at the very least, not every yahoo who wants to race can do it.
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

Quote Originally Posted by dbp1 View Post
    There are at least some restrictions -- they have to apply and get approved to be able to race. There was a (not all that great) self-filmed documentary by one of the teams that talked about that process -- they were allowed to do it, even though they had little sailing experience, because it was a family of commercial fisherman (so they knew the area really well). So at the very least, not every yahoo who wants to race can do it.
    Sounds like a set-up for a perfect storm of liability lawsuits...

The race is intended to be difficult and dangerous; that is its primary attraction, and all participants accept the risks. If there are casualties, I worry less for the race participants and more for the would-be rescuers, who are not risking their lives by choice.

Another big appeal of this race is that most participants are a lot like us; probably decent sailors and rowers but not professionals or world-class athletes, in modest boats they built themselves or bought with their own money. They differ from us (me, anyway) in their bravery, determination, and ability to withstand hardship. These people and their boats are relatable, tempting us to think that we might possibly (but not actually) be able to do something similar someday. Like many of you, I have a boat sitting on a trailer 50 feet away from me that could make the trip.