Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R2ak

Default R2ak

I was in Fisheries Supply a couple of days ago and people were talking about this the R2AK race, from Port Townsend to Ketchikan, starting June 13. 750 miles of row/sail, entirely unsupported. The multihulls invariably win but the goal of most entrants is to complete the course, a huge accomplishment. There are some interesting monohull entrants, including a Welsford Pathfinder and a CLC wherry.

Default Re: R2ak

Yup, the Angus Rowcruiser with a sailing rig seems to feature pretty regularly too. I believe there is a stretched one taking part this year.

I haven't looked lately, are any of the SUP guys going this year?

Oddly enough I was looking at the R2AK website just yesterday.

I seem to remember that there was one person who was considering whether to do it on a SUP or in something else (kayak perhaps?).

I can barely stand up on a SUP, the thought of paddling one 750 miles to Alaska is extraordinary.

If you have the time I highly recommend being in Port Townsend for the pre-race Ruckus on the 12th. Many of the boats will be out of the water getting final preparations done before the start of the first leg to Victoria BC slightly before the crack of dawn on the 13th. I thought the start I watched was pretty cool.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I believe the race starts tomorrow. First leg PT to Victoria.
    "I see!" said the blind man who picked up his hammer and saw.

One of the six metre guys from Lake Union has a good friend who is doing it.....on a tandem kayak or a pulling boat of some kind. I will pay better attention now that it's happening. Sounds like an adventure!

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Tracker Junkies, unite!
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Started 3 hours ago....most are on the way to Vic. Here's a link to the tracker for the junkies https://r2ak2022.maprogress.com/

It would be fun to be apart of the adventure. I would think it would be a much more comfortable trip on the 44' pure & wild boat(first into Victoria) than a small open boat.

At 8am this morning, well into this leg across the Straits, there was a 22-24 knot easterly with a 2 knot westerly tidal current. Not conditions I would choose for crossing in my boat, let alone tiny human powered craft.

Race Committee adding 24 hours to the PT/Victoria leg to accommodate the weather. They've had a couple of capsizes already and one of the big trimarans has been dismasted. Reports are everybody is safe.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

The sea’s out in the straights are probably the most dangerous part of the tip. It has certainly separated the boys from the men or girls from the women this time.

I made this trip several years ago and would never have considered a straight passage from PT to Victoria. Keeping to the inside behind the islands is not the fastest route, but getting there eventually sure beats not getting there at all.

I think it was the little Weta beach trimaran that turtled. But others w ere rescued.
    -Dave

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Coldest, windiest , nastiest spring in my memory.
    I hope they all have their rubber suits in good order.

Quoting myself from another thread:

The Pt. Townsend to Victoria leg being a qualifier seems to have done its job. A bit harsh perhaps but everyone survived, and a strong message was sent.
    I'm good with the race committee granting an additional 24 hours to get to Victoria.

The sailors that ignored the weather with skills and boats that weren't up to it bother me. This is the sort of irresponsibility that drives onerous rules.
    The point of the race is minimal rules with good seamanship and navigation skills. I don't want to see the event dumbed down.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Quite a few boats, including the Welsford Pathfinder 'Dark Star' are sheltering behind Dungeness Spit. With the daylight half gone today, it seems like 'go soon or go home'. Conditions must be truly nasty to keep those boats near the start, what with all the months or years of planning and preparation. I imagine they are talking amongst themselves, assessing the risks. If they go, I hope it's flotilla fashion, so they can keep an eye on each other.

I predict most of those human-powered boats sitting on Dungeness Spit depart for Victoria tomorrow morning by 4:30 am. You'd have an ebb current in the strait until 1 pm or so. It's about 10 nautical miles across to Race Rocks. Ought to be plenty of time to row/paddle across. The afternoon flood would push you the final 9 miles east back toward Victoria.

At least, that'd be my strategy. But then I'm on not Dungeness Spit staring at the water right now, antsy and nervous.

They also have a flood right now until about 8:30 p.m. If the sea state has chilled enough from yesterday then maybe a few will make a run for it right now. Wind is west 14 at Smith Island. I'd be tempted to reach across if I had a sail.

Again, I'm just a guy sitting at a desk in a warm office staring at my navionics app.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 06-14-2022 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I have always wondered why Victoria was specified as a waypoint. There are other ports-of-entry in BC that don't require that exposed passage across the straits. Seems to me the required route was specifically designed as the preliminary elimination leg. If so, this year it worked perfectly.

There is a good podcast episode about the R2AK interviewing the founder/organizer, a new competitor, and a seasoned competitor. It is the Morning Messabout podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I predict most of those human-powered boats sitting on Dungeness Spit depart for Victoria tomorrow morning by 4:30 am.
    Looks like all are underway with the front ones more than halfway across the Strait. West winds 5-15 kts with 2 ft wind waves this morning so much better conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    the preliminary elimination leg
    isn't that what they actually call the first leg?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

They are going to do this event until someone is killed and then after the lawsuits, not so much.
    Racing across open water in a hodgepodge of boats when they should be looking out for one another seems foolhardy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    isn't that what they actually call the first leg?
    Yeah, that's it, and it works perfectly. Floating bodies? We don't care about no floating bodies.
    The CG should send the organizers a bill for the rescues.

It's a good event mostly because of the lack of racing rules and protest committees though its popularity is attracting some who are not up to the challenge.
    In addition to the first leg qualifier, proof of a previous endurance race?
    Maybe use some sort of intimidation to weed out the irresponsible sailors. Anyone stupid enough to take a non-offshore boat out in gale warnings, small craft advisories or similar and need rescuing gets banned?
    Last edited by Autonomous; 06-15-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    It's a good event mostly because of the lack of racing rules and protest committees though its popularity is attracting some who are not up to the challenge.
    In addition to the first leg qualifier, proof of a previous endurance race?
    Maybe use some sort of intimidation to weed out the irresponsible sailors. Anyone stupid enough to take a non-offshore boat out in gale warnings, small craft advisories or similar and need rescuing gets banned?

I wuz up there the morning of the departure of the last one...hoo wee some wacky boats .If their own boats do not intimidate them....

My knickers are twisted up in a Gordian knot over reckless people that take 14' daysailers out in storm conditions and invite restrictions on the competent sailors.
    ♦ George Orwell

My knickers are twisted up in a Gordian knot over reckless people that take 14' daysailers out in storm conditions and invite restrictions on the competent sailors.
    And that cause responders to risk their lives in the process. Such people should be handed a bill for services rendered.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Team Mustang Survival, a team of teens average age 16.5 years, had the intelligence and good sense to immediately turn back and they are in a Santa Cruz 27!
    ♦ George Orwell

This debate seems reminiscent of that surrounding the Everglades Challenge from a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
    I've taken an International 470 out into 30-40 knot winds!

But . . . that was on a shallow, warm inland lake in the Midwest, less than a mile across. And in the summer. And the sailing club kept a rescue boat — big john boat with a 30 horse outboard, and flush decks to facilitate dealing with capsizes and getting people out of the water — that was required to be rigged and ready to roll with 2 crew keeping watch for problems.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

It's an interesting discussion without, I believe, hard and fast absolutes.

I have never needed the coast guard, but I have needed a motor boat tow and a salvage boat to turn over my sailboat. If I had been a few miles away, where there were no other boaters, I likely would have needed the coast guard. Would I ever take a boat out in the conditions at the start of this R2AK? No, I wouldn't. But on the other hand every one of those boaters is a better boater than I am, and they certainly have put more time and thinking into their journey than I did the day I needed help. So who's the bigger idiot?

Another perspective--if you start charging for marine rescues you will have people who hold off on contacting the coast guard, either permanently or just wait longer, because they don't want the bill. That's going to lead to either more fatalities or the rescuers going out into worse scenarios that would have happened if the boater called earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBTC View Post
    Would I ever take a boat out in the conditions at the start of this R2AK? No, I wouldn't. But on the other hand every one of those boaters is a better boater than I am, and they certainly have put more time and thinking into their journey than I did the day I needed help. So who's the bigger idiot?
    Being a technically better boater that makes foolish, dangerous decisions does not trump discretion and knowing your limitations. It does qualify for the idiot prize though.
    ♦ George Orwell