Thread: Paint now or later ? Lapstrake Whitehall

Default Paint now or later ? Lapstrake Whitehall

Hello, I'm getting close to turning my 14' Whitehall over. It has been built upside down out of WRC. The boat will be mostly Painted except for some vanished rub rails, interior thwarts and knees etc. I have not decided to have the oak frames painted or just varnished yet. I have the boat on a nice movable frame, so it would be a little easier to paint now upside down than after I turn it over including the fact that I will need to lower the boat on the ladder frame. I am fairly short, so for me to work comfortably in the interior I will need the boat closer to the ground. Although looking ahead I might find myself on the ground looking up to paint the outside. I am alittle concerned with what would make sense ( Paint the bottom now ) I may be missing somethings I didn't think about. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks Mac

Default Re: Paint now or later ? Lapstrake Whitehall

I seems more practical to paint it as is upside down. Unless there are other considerations that I am unaware of other than physical ease. Easier to see, light, paint wouldn't drip on you,etc. etc. etc. The only consideration I guess would be to make sure the paint doesn't pool in the laps.

If it is clinker design then paint the outside of the hull whilst upside down - the paint will run into the plank edges. Leave a bare strip along the top of the sheer plank where you will glue on the gunwale after flipping.

Regards Neil

Some plans call for putting the gunwale on after flipping, but the boat I'm building now (Peregrine 18) calls for attaching the gunwale before flipping. Anyone know why one would be better then the other? Seems like it would be easier after flipping.

Lapstrake built upside down,… are the ribs in yet? Lots of fastening holes needed for them.

I've painted/varnished every boat I've built while still upside down on the building form.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    Some plans call for putting the gunwale on after flipping, but the boat I'm building now (Peregrine 18) calls for attaching the gunwale before flipping. Anyone know why one would be better then the other? Seems like it would be easier after flipping.
    Most likely to give the boat added rigidity and hold the shape once off the building form and before interior structure is added.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I’d finish your carpentry then paint. She’ll be light enough for a couple people to roll back over upside down for painting.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    My experience is that putting the gunnel on once she's upright is favorable. It's one last shot to really fair the sheer and get a pretty line. I like doing that upright. It's just easier upright to stand back and stare from all directions and fiddle and tap at the gunnels until you get them just how you want them. Can't hurt to follow the plans, though, maybe there's a good reason.

One small potential side issue;if you have any thoughts of a varnished sheerstrake,give it a couple of coats at least before going near the hull with paint.That way if any paint drips or splashes onto the sheerstrake,it will not have soaked in very far.

Frames are not in yet.

Lots of good ideas and thoughts, including forgetting that upside down the paint could run where i don't want it to.
    Thx. Mac

Thanks for the suggestions, Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
    Frames are not in yet.
    Why would you paint her now when you still have a hundred or so holes to put in her?

I agree. But because I haven’t done this before I felt I should ask the question from people of experience.
    thx Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
    I agree. But because I haven’t done this before I felt I should ask the question from people of experience.
    thx Mac
    One thing I've discovered in my limited boat building experience is that, whatever sequence of operations you choose, there's always an equally good reason for choosing a different sequence entirely. It's a bit like chess--you have to think 6 moves ahead to figure out what it makes the most sense to do right now.

And, like chess, you'll often be wrong!

(But at least you won't discover it for a while, at which point it will become painfully obvious).

Better to do something, even if it's not quite the best thing to do, than to fall victim to terminal overthinking paralysis (that comment is not aimed at you--that's what I discovered for my own self as a builder).

It's only a boat. It'll float no matter what the order of operations is. As long as launching does not precede filling holes in the hull...

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Why would you paint her now when you still have a hundred or so holes to put in her?
    Great point. Sometimes I think my boats get more abuse during the building process than during actual use.