Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meg and Me

Default Meg and Me

I won’t be finishing Meg and once cleaned out she’ll be viewable at First Light Boatworks.

Over the last three years my spinal stenosis had reduced mobility. We were putting off an operation till things with COVID dies down but my seventy third birthday present was inability to get out of bed. 911 to the hospital and all that. My neurosurgeon was about to schedule but the infectious disease doc thought he saw something on the X-Ray or MRI. So two months of thrice a day IV antibiotics and then delays getting operation scheduled. Nothing actually cultured but it could be that the antibiotics acted as a prophylactic against post-op infection.

Two surgeons working from opposite ends of a ten inch incision up from lowest lumbar into the T’s, fusing, cleaning, installing appliances for over six hours. With that big a slice I was at the hospital and then a nursing home till after Thanksgiving. Post-op pain remains an issue. Prospects of simply healing without some attention from the local pain clinic are bleak. With my super stroller I get maybe two hundred feet before I must sit till the pain abates. I’m regaining some strength “walking” about in the shallow heated pool at the YMCA. Once in water I’m much better.

So facing the fact that without selling Meg, I’ll not be able to cover her yard bills much less the medical bills not covered by Medicare.

It was a high risk, economically insane, to build a new wooden boat spending all my savings. If nothing went wrong, I could just get her done and then live on my pension. Something went wrong.

I do not view the adventure as a moral or emotional loss. More like a privilege even not quite making it across the sea.

Default Re: Meg and Me

Heartbreaking news! And on so many levels!

I can only send my best wishes to you!

Best regards,
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Iain, not the update any of us wanted to hear about. Please know you are in our prayers.

Maybe you’ll have to put the planes and chisels down, but you are an artist with words. Keep that up.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I'm very sorry to hear that, Ian. It was a noble effort.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Sad news indeed. At least you had the joy of dreaming, planning, and watching her come into being
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Ian my friend my heart goes out to you. Know that you are loved here by many including myself. Heal, mend and continue to be a bright star for all of us that look up to you.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Hang in there Ian. We are all pulling for you. With any luck Meg will be in the hands of someone as gifted as yourself.

JRM

I do not view the adventure as a moral or emotional loss. More like a privilege even not quite making it across the sea.
    An excellent takeaway. That's a lot to go through. More power to you, and heal best and soonest. Thanks for posting. An inspiration.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Meg is a lovely boat and a testament to your artistry and love. I am so sorry to read about the pain you have and the medical treatments you must undergo. I will always remember the afternoon I spent with you showing me her and seeing the brilliance that she has.

Let us know what we can do for you and Meg. You have many talented and caring folks waiting for your call to help.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Crossing my fingers for you, Ian. Your love of wooden boats and intelligent, insightful comments over the years on just about every subject on this forum are still appreciated and we all hope you stay active here, and of course in your own personal life as well.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Ian, I fondly recall visiting Meg under construction, and I strongly recall your argument at the time, for devoting so much to building her. I always thought you got it right… satisfying your dreams as being the only worthwhile to do.

it’s a sad thing to learn that your dream will be cut short… but I learned, in the course of life, that the journey beats the destination every time… and you should be proud of what you accomplished, and look back at the experience with a smile on your face.

my best wishes for your recovery, Ian!
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Sorry to hear this. Is there a pic of the Meg around here somewhere?

My very best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. Congrats on the adventure of building a new boat!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'm saddened to learn that the dream will be curtailed,but it must have been great while things were moving ahead.Time to focus on restoring yourself and it ought to be a comfort to know that somebody will be enjoying a well thought out boat at some point in the near future.Probably smiling each time they understand the reasons why each and every part works well.

So sorry Ian. I’m glad you are able to be at peace with it.

Damn. I sure hope the docs can give you some relief.

https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...oA&oe=62BDD92E

Baby barf green is the wrong color. Applied after a deep green was overheating the hull. There are better alternatives but that a "NOP". Next Owner's Problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    That's a good looking boat, Ian! I'm not a fan of lee boards, but that is a good looking boat!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quite a few pix of Meg and other boats in the photos on my Facebook page.

LEEBOARDS? You never mentioned leeboards before; I'm such a fan of leeboards. The MEG looks very much like a Meadow Lark, but with a spoon bow. I really like Meadow Larks, and always considered my Shearwater sort of a "junior" version.uk

https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...oA&oe=62BDD92E

Baby barf green is the wrong color. Applied after a deep green was overheating the hull. There are better alternatives but that a "NOP". Next Owner's Problem.

Wishing you the best, Ian. You've been an inspiration.
    One of the great things about this forum is that we don't all have to accumulate the same scar tissue.
    AJ Zimm

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    LEEBOARDS? You never mentioned leeboards before; I'm such a fan of leeboards. The MEG looks very much like a Meadow Lark, but with a spoon bow. I really like Meadow Larks, and always considered my Shearwater sort of a "junior" version.uk
    Wow Nicholas, you really missed some great build threads. There was a good one dedicated to the design and building of the leeboards.

Ian posted some of my all time favorite build threads during Meg's construction!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Even tho' I'm not running for anything, "Thoughts and Prayers", shipmate

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    the journey beats the destination every time…
    Norm is a poet; truer words were never said.
    Kind regards to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Ian, I fondly recall visiting Meg under construction, and I strongly recall your argument at the time, for devoting so much to building her. I always thought you got it right… satisfying your dreams as being the only worthwhile to do.

it’s a sad thing to learn that your dream will be cut short… but I learned, in the course of life, that the journey beats the destination every time… and you should be proud of what you accomplished, and look back at the experience with a smile on your face.

my best wishes for your recovery, Ian!
    hard to be more eloquent than this
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

You have been dealt a big blow, but perhaps the recovery will be significant
    Best Wishes indeed...

You've got to acknowledge it was a glorious run though.

Ian, I dunno quite how to say this, but pretty much the only guys here who don't want in some measure to be you, with your history of 2 classic schooners, a classic cat, and now Meg's imagining and construction in your history . . Are the guys who'd rather imagine themselves as a Hadfield.
    .I am so sorry to hear of your health issues, and their inevitable fallout. Praying with and for you, brother.

One of my fondest memories in forum related stuff is going to Cape Cod with my son to pick up the wee boat I now own, and having a chance to go out to Meg with you. Have you show us the reality as she then stood, and was developing.

You've created a long lived gift for the next owner, for which that person, and those lucky enough to watch her swim, will be deeply grateful.

Tom.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I did meet you once across the way from the epic Maine Boatbuilder's Show some 10 years ago. I'm going to make a case for continued healing to get you mobile again and a "hang on 'til the last moment" approach to your beloved Meg. Maybe there's an angel in your life that would foot the yard bills to be able to sail for this season. Jim

It is so hard to hear of your health problems. I hope and pray that medical science and your strength of character can overcome the worst of it.
    Giving up the boat is tough, but the journey sure was fun.
    Please keep us up to date.
    My prayers are with you.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Ah darn...

I admire you -- and Last Boat of course -- very much.

When you have a Listing, please let me know. A friend of mine has a place on a canal near Ft. Myers and recently sold his Hinckley 37 because he didn't like power-boating in those shallow waters down along the Everglades Park.

But he's a sailor. Loves history. And Meg is perfect for that part of the world. He also has the resources to accomplish any completions.

Hang in there...

Dave

Strength to you, Ian, but more than that, healing. On all levels.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

Ian, I’m sorry to hear of your troubles and hope that they can find a way to deal with the pain. I hope the physicians and therapists you work with are the finastkind.

Meg was a wonderful dream and I for one feel happy to have been able to watch that dream unfold for you here. You, the designer and the yard should all be proud of what you have been able to accomplish in her creation. I sincerely believe that there is someone out there who wants to share in that dream that you have all created.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

well, this is a stone drag.

but, troubles come whether we go for our visions or not. i am glad you went for it.