Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67

Thread: A Gartside # 130 followed me home

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: A Gartside # 130 followed me home

Nice tiller. I love that 'tiller tamer'.
    New for me - beautiful choice of timbers.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Nice work!

Nicely done,but the boat may sail a bit better if you use a tiller extension and get your weight in the best place.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Nicely done,but the boat may sail a bit better if you use a tiller extension and get your weight in the best place.
    The motivation for making a long tiller was that I tend to want to be in the best spot to balance the boat and then I am reaching back for the shorter tiller all the time. I’ve used a variety of tiller extensions before on a variety of other boats, I just don’t always enjoy them. I tried one on this boat with the original tiller, albeit an older style one. This one is long enough for me to sit on the middle thwart and steer

Nice work on the tiller tamer pieces, especially that fairlead. Like you I can't find a metal/plastic one which suits my tiller so I'll need to make one up I reckon. Here I use Spotted Gum rather than purpleheart. Both timbers are solid, strong & heavy I think.

Regards Neil

Thanks , I was contemplating using lignum vitae too but the piece I had wasn’t quite big enough. I know people use stout SS screw eyes/ padeyes on narrow tillers too. I didn’t have one and i wanted to try making the wooden bits. Next will be wooden bow chocks.

Beauty! Beats the He!! out of my usual string and bungie cord lash up

Thanks. I’ve been an avid bungee cord user for years. I’ve always wanted to try this rig and i quite liked it.

I got tired of lashing on my bowsprit, especially as now I use it as a boom crutch clamped to the stern knee.
    ON the Vancouver sail and oar society's page they had a great photo album of their Providence riverboat build 'Button Swan' . Lovely boat and stunningly built.
    They had a similar unit for their bowsprit, though more round, cast bronze, and attached differently.

To try it out I didn't want to entirely reshape my sprit which was left squarish near the stem to facilitate it sitting flat on the breasthook and up against the stem. I don't have any cast bits but I did get a plate of thick brass from a garage sale last year so I bent up a piece and attached it underneath the painter loop, so no new holes. This was by way of trying out the idea.

Tested it out today in some good wind. Hitting 4-4.5 knots upwind, sitting out on the rail with my biggest foresail up (all of 21 sq feet!)
    Worked great, no problems, however I have to take the mast down to properly remove it and insert it in the clip prior to raising the mast. I might still make an end attachment point instead of the jaw, like the Riff build above and tweak this mark 1 bowsprit loop.
    Now if the sail and oar society wasn't so far away I'd go join them! Thanks for the great site and pictures!
    Here it is in action going downwind.

Last edited by Toxophilite; 10-05-2022 at 11:18 PM.

Got a 6' x 11.5' 'Genoa' off of the local craigslist for $10. Somebody has used it for a bit as a sunshade but it still seems to be in decent shape and have life in it. Very lightly made, perfect light air sail for the Gartside. Has a very round foot. I had to tweak the sheeting points some but it sure makes the boat go in light airs.
    Humourously about half the sail area of the main. Makes the main look small for some reason.

Also whilst taking pictures of my friend's boat he took some nice ones of mine (something I never see)
    These are with my terylene jib that has the too-hollow foot (but works well) I may take a card from this new sail and sew a rounded foot on to it.

Nice! I love small boat tinkering. I hope to try two more sails on my new old canoe this week.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Nice! I love small boat tinkering. I hope to try two more sails on my new old canoe this week.
    Talking of tinkering, I would move the tack downhaul to the other side of the mast.

To remove a source of chafe.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I've pondered that. Both my Shellback and this boat came with what seems like downhaul attachment points on the starboard side. On the Shellback I put my rig on the starboard side, On this boat I have it on the port side as the drawing shows it that way, I was told it's more comfortable for right handed sailors, and the angled mast sheave seemed to fit that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    I've pondered that. Both my Shellback and this boat came with what seems like downhaul attachment points on the starboard side. On the Shellback I put my rig on the starboard side, On this boat I have it on the port side as the drawing shows it that way, I was told it's more comfortable for right handed sailors, and the angled mast sheave seemed to fit that setup.
    Fairy Nuff. I would still swap the downhul over to the same side as the sail.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.