Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunch Hook what do you use?

Default Lunch Hook what do you use?

We occasionally stop for a hour or two for lunch or putter around. Putting down the big Delta anchor and pulling it back up sometimes seems like overkill

I am thinking of a smaller anchor for a lunch hook. Maybe anchoring off the stern too.

Thoughts?
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Default Re: Lunch Hook what do you use?

Northill 15 to 25 pounds. Readily available in our neck of the woods. / Jim

Hmm... I use a 6.5 lb Northill for my main anchor... I do like the Northill design. Stock rotates 90 degrees to stow flat, holds well.

I actually use a slightly different Northill (a seaplane anchor where the flukes rotate 90 degrees to stow flat), around 3 lbs, for a lunch hook or to hold the stern off a beach when tying to shore overnight.

I guess solutions for a tiny sail & oar boat probably aren't all that relevant for your situation, though.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

We used a Northill anchor years ago when I fished commercially. It was a big anchor and did not fold

If i can find a folding Northill that would be ideal.

Seems as if no one manufactures them anymore.

My cruising has been in sail boats 9T to 20T, 25' to 55'. My windlass was manual. I always had at least two anchors of working anchor size, a 45# CQR on an all chain rode and a 35# CQR on three strand nylon. If I had more anchors, the others had a chain leader as long as the boat. If I needed a "storm anchor" I just rigged two in series. For a "lunch hook" I used the 35# as it was fast to retrieve after using the boat's weight for breakout.

One handy trick: A cam cleat and leads attached to a suitable buoy and placed over the rode will be forced by water pressure back to the anchor if you simply sail past the anchor. On breakout it will pick the anchor up and hold it near the surface and you're towing the anchor. Reel it in at leisure.

G'luck

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I always use the biggest hook I can handle.
    My 34'er has a'lectric windlass ,so why bother rigging a mini hook."oversize" and all chain.
    My 24'er...no windlass ,30 pound ,15' chain. I can hand over hand that from pretty deep down.
    no lunch hook for a vessel. use em on small boats.

We stern-tie a lot, either to shore if it is steep-to or onto a tidal flat if it is a soft beach. I like a Danforth style for that application, mine is 22lbs and hasn't failed me yet. Helps that it is mostly a horizontal pull. / Jim

9FC29CC4-3D94-4483-8745-F5E6BFA2E639.jpg
    Last edited by chas; 05-26-2022 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    We used a Northill anchor years ago when I fished commercially. It was a big anchor and did not fold

If i can find a folding Northill that would be ideal.

Seems as if no one manufactures them anymore.
    Not exactly a folding anchor--the stock comes off entirely, and then there's a little clip to hold in against the shank to make the whole thing flat. Not sure if that's only a small-anchor feature in Northills, but I like it.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I use a Fortress FX7 on 3 metres of chain and about 50m of 14mm warp as a lunch hook on my 30' sailing boat.

The anchor itself only weighs about 4 lbs.

The FX7 is meant for boats up to 27 feet so it's undersized, but I've never had a problem with it dragging. I've had a 36 foot boat and a 30' trimaran rafted on each side of my boat for a couple of hours and all swinging on that little hook (in about 15 knots of wind). Much to my surprise it held us all just fine.

We mainly anchor in about 10 metres of water on a mud and / or sandy seabed and use all the warp. My 10 year old daughter can raise the anchor by herself when its time to leave...
    Last edited by AndanteEd; 05-26-2022 at 02:21 PM.

We occasionally stop for a hour or two for lunch or putter around. Putting down the big Delta anchor and pulling it back up sometimes seems like overkill

I am thinking of a smaller anchor for a lunch hook. Maybe anchoring off the stern too.

Thoughts?
    We have an electric winch, 100 ft. of chain, and the primary anchor is largely self-stowing. Doesn't matter how long you want to anchor.

If I had a power windlass, I would just use my Delta, but my windlass runs on muscle power.

I am intrigued with a grapnel because of how it stows, but such an anchor doesn't seem to have much holding power. Maybe I don't need much holding power when stopping for a sandwich
    Last edited by Bobcat; 05-28-2022 at 05:43 PM.

The easily found four prong grapple is close to worthless, even for dragging the bottom in search of lost gear. If you can find a five prong of any size grab it.

Besides dragging for lost gear, a grapple is grand for rocky bottoms. For any use, drag recovery or rocky bottom, be sure to have a trip line at the crown to enable recovery of the hook when (when, not if) it gets hopelessly fouled.

With the power windlass on Skookum Maru I’ve never found a need for a lunch hook, but we had a Fortress some years ago on a boat with no windlass at all and found it to be very useful and easy to handle. That’s certainly the way I would go if I had the need.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

If sandy / soft then just the main anchor but less chain. (we had all chain)
    However many places we would stop for lunch could be deep or rocky etc
    so we used a S/S folding grapple on a short length of light chain and 200 ft 16mm nylon tope.
    This could be pulled up fast by hand.
    Not something that worked well in sand unless it was very calm and I would not recommend leave the boat unattended.
    I think the 12mm S/S only only weighs 2kg + 10 mtr 8mm chain

Z

I found my lunch hook, um, aside from the size, style and price....

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/b...479570098.html

The yachtsman\fisherman\kedge anchor uses no chain. The rope anchor rode ties directly to the anchor.

Why?

A kedge with no chain is the fastest setting and fastest breaking hook. Valuable asset fot anchoring undersail and getting off on the correct tack.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    A kedge with no chain is the fastest setting and fastest breaking hook. Valuable asset fot anchoring undersail and getting off on the correct tack.
    I have heard that

But why no chain?

no chain for speed is all.I often use my 100 pound fisherman with no chain in shallow water of very crowded Caribee anchorages.that anchor is not fast to stow, it's a 10 minute project.
    and I carry a fx23 on woodys back deck, that is for a dingy kedge, not a picnic hook.
    Fisherman can certainly use chain if it is a main hook. Anyone saying don;t use chain?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    no chain for speed is all.I often use my 100 pound fisherman with no chain in shallow water of very crowded Caribee anchorages.that anchor is not fast to stow, it's a 10 minute project.
    and I carry a fx23 on woodys back deck, that is for a dingy kedge, not a picnic hook.
    Fisherman can certainly use chain if it is a main hook. Anyone saying don;t use chain?
    Found a video of Maynard Bray explaining that fisherman anchors do not use chain....

well i call bs on that ,as a general rule

For a secondary anchor, I am fine with tying on the rode when you use the anchor rather than trying to divide my chain locker in two. My big anchor is always rigged and has a bunch of chain

Lunch hook? just a little 4 - 5 lb Danforth. Nice and simple.

This discussion reminds me of going fishing at a reservoir a couple hours drive from where we lived in Calif. This was in my teenage years. Anyway... we'd rent a skiff that came equipped with a coffee can filled with concrete for an anchor. The "rode" was a scrumpy length of line. Well, even in the slightest breeze the "anchor" wouldn't hold so we'd quickly drift away from the fabulous spot we were casting in and not catching anything. Then we'd have to row back to the spot, redeploy the anchor and do it all over again. I don't think we ever caught a fish, but we did have a good time. Still... I hated their anchors for being so worthless.

Maybe the best lesson here is: If one is gonna use a coffee can full of concrete as an anchor... get a big can of coffee!

Jeff

I'm glad a Danforth got mentioned. Simple and light for what you get from it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    This discussion reminds me of going fishing at a reservoir a couple hours drive from where we lived in Calif. This was in my teenage years. Anyway... we'd rent a skiff that came equipped with a coffee can filled with concrete for an anchor. The "rode" was a scrumpy length of line. Well, even in the slightest breeze the "anchor" wouldn't hold so we'd quickly drift away from the fabulous spot we were casting in and not catching anything. Then we'd have to row back to the spot, redeploy the anchor and do it all over again. I don't think we ever caught a fish, but we did have a good time. Still... I hated their anchors for being so worthless.

Maybe the best lesson here is: If one is gonna use a coffee can full of concrete as an anchor... get a big can of coffee!

Jeff
    I had a flowerpot full of concrete as the anchor for my first boat, an 8 foot unpainted plywood pram which cost my parents $35 when they bought it for my 8th birthday.

I don't remember doing much anchoring, but I would tie to the painter and throw it on the beach to keep the boat from drifting away.

My dad filled a stout paper barrel with concrete and used it for a mooring for years. I suppose after a year or so it sunk into the mud. It held the runabout with no issues in the summers.

SV Panope has a YouTube channel where he has spent many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours testing hundreds of anchors. These are real tests, not the all-too-common advertisements disguised as tests.
    Be prepared to invest a good amount of time for the education you will receive.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

We use a small Rocna for day stops , 25 lb fisherman for overnight. 24' motorboat.
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

The best anchor to haul by hand, meaning most holding power for weight, is an aluminum fortress. I think lewmar makes a version too. They are essentially danforths made in high strength aluminum. They are serious anchors that make a reliable stern hook as well, but they aren't cheap. Second best is a regular old Danforth. Fairly light for the holding power. I would get a real anchor not a grappnel, it will be a backup or stern anchor and might save your bacon one day.

I'm laying to two bow anchors plus a stern tie right now, and need to be able to trust both of them as the boat next to me looks expensive!

Of course, the basic bit that we don't know is the size of the craft...... a lunch hook for my dory is kind of different from the hook I might use for the lugger. I kind of like my small size Mantus.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

I have spent a long time watching Steve's (SV Panope) videos. They are very interesting. Based on his testing my Delta is a good anchor. Based on what I saw, a grapnel is out. You might as well have a flowerpot with concrete for all the grapnel's holding power.

I grew up using Danforths. There was a Danforth on my boat when I bought her. That Danforth was crossbred with a roller skate and never wanted to set. So I am a bit sour on Danforths. All that side, I have a 16 pound Danforth as well as a 5 pound one. I am going to try using the bigger Danforth for my lunch hook. It can also serve as a stern anchor.

The boat is a Monk designed Roughwater 35 about 31 feet on the waterline and displacing about 18,000 pounds according to the Travelift.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    The best anchor to haul by hand, meaning most holding power for weight, is an aluminum fortress. I think lewmar makes a version too. They are essentially danforths made in high strength aluminum. They are serious anchors that make a reliable stern hook as well, but they aren't cheap. Second best is a regular old Danforth. Fairly light for the holding power. I would get a real anchor not a grappnel, it will be a backup or stern anchor and might save your bacon one day.

I'm laying to two bow anchors plus a stern tie right now, and need to be able to trust both of them as the boat next to me looks expensive!
    I picked up a Fortress yesterday at a store-- meaning I lifted it, not that I bought one. It seemed unnaturally light.

I am used to an anchor with some weight. Clearly the fortress is designed to dig in and does not rely on weight.

I can only imagine what L Francis Herreshoff would say about it

The Fortress, like its grandpa the Danforth, can really hold if well set. The Fortress has a harder time getting through grass, never a Danforth specialty, and is even more inclined to getting the flukes inverted by a shell or stone across the flukes and shaft.

And then there was the time we tried to set the Fortress against a strong current. With the flukes pointed up the hook stayed near the surface. We labeled it 'the incredible floating anchor.' I much prefer the Danforth original.

Clearly the fortress is designed to dig in and does not rely on weight.
    Yup, if you do use a Fortress I'd recommend permanently installing the "Mud Palms" that come with it.

Fortress.jpg

It helps to hold the crown up, and therefore to get the flukes to dig in, when it hits the bottom.

I've never had a problem with mine, but we don't have to anchor in weeds, rocks or the like out here. As a daytime, lunch hook it's been great.

A 2.5# Mantus dinghy anchor for my 17' boat. I got it based on Steve's (Panope) test results. Next up is a Danforth 5H I bought used 40 years ago.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell