Thread: Bilge hive mind plumbing advice

Default Bilge hive mind plumbing advice

Our shower has recently begun making a loud vibrating noise sometimes. It sometimes goes away after it starts, when the supply valve is turned to cold only and it gets worse when the hot is turned back on. It seems to be related to the mechanical switch in the tub spout, which is pulled up for shower and down to fill the tub. Sometimes the noise can be made to stop by jiggling that switch.

What can I do to fix it, other than call a plumber?
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Default Re: Bilge hive mind plumbing advice

The tub spouts are pretty easily replaceable. Or soak it in vinegar to remove calcium. Or adjust the pressure to your house at the main valve by shutting it some. My toilet sometimes groans. Then it goes away.

I can put up with a lot before calling a plumber.

Sounds like water hammer to me.

Air in the line somewhere?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Sounds like water hammer to me.

Air in the line somewhere?
    My thought too. Which is useless, as I have no idea how to fix it, nor any inclination to try.

Good luck!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

There are little 'chambers' which can be installed on the water line to contain the air bubble and silence the 'hammer' - check with your local plumber or 'big-box' store.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Stop showering.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    My thought too. Which is useless, as I have no idea how to fix it, nor any inclination to try.
    One way to [try to] fix water hammer is to close the main water valve, then open all the faucets and valves in the house, and drain down the entire system, leaving all the faucets/valves open (except the main water valve).

Then turn the water back on and let the water displace the air in the system. Then, start closing faucets and valves one at a time, working from lowest to highest.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    One way to [try to] fix water hammer is to close the main water valve, then open all the faucets and valves in the house, and drain down the entire system, leaving all the faucets/valves open (except the main water valve).

Then turn the water back on and let the water displace the air in the system. Then, start closing faucets and valves one at a time, working from lowest to highest.
    I agree.
    Life is complex.

I don't think we have a correct answer yet. Water hammer is just the slam that happens when the water shuts off fast. That is why they are usually near the washing machine.

How old is the shower valve? The cartridge for a late model diverter valve is usually under 20 bucks. Easy DIY project.

Is it only when showering? Then it’s the spout.

We had a house wide squeaky noise everytime my wife turned her water hose on and off. A youtuber suggested turning off the watersupply and then open every faucet till all flow stops. Then turn the supply back on, then close each faucet.

It worked for a week.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Might just be a loose washer vibrating, replace the washer, valve or cartridges. Or a "balance valve" gone haywire depending on your specific shower valve.
    Whatever it is don't let it continue... the vibration is hard on your plumbing and may get "interesting" usually in the middle of the night, or when you are away for the weekend.

Thank, all. That's prolly enough to go on. I'll get on it today.

Might be calcium buildup on the diverter valvecausing it not to close or open fully, or very easily. Take apart that lever and valve, clean and reassemble.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

When shower gives you lemons, make a lemonade

typical casues are too low water pressure and/or partly stuck valve
    will often be caused by limescale buildup
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Gypsy music for water pipes and fiddle….. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Might be calcium buildup on the diverter valvecausing it not to close or open fully, or very easily. Take apart that lever and valve, clean and reassemble.
    Going past the b'room on my way back from getting my second cuppa joe, just now, I felt with my finger up inside the spout to get a sense of the diverter valve and I can tell it's crusty with scale.

Looking at diagrams of bathtub spout diverters, my takeaways include that:

when I install or replace such fixtures, I should somewhere note the brand name since for aesthetic reasons the companies don't include it on the actual hardware, and the parts and assemblies are not the same across brands;

that my OS on the desktop computater, Linux mint with foxfire, doesn't know what to do with a png file extension;

that google wants me inspite of using duckduckgo;

that some helpful images include ones with a dot ru internet file extension, which I gather is the extension denoting a Russian source, so I'm thinking the help comes with special subversion cookies.

I thought I'd post a diagram that I thought would be helpful for anyone following the thread, but I'm suspicious of some of the sources. And in case it needs to be more explicitly stated once again, as indicated by my OP title, the WBF Bilge, all hive-mindey, is likely the best source for the widest possible helpful info. I suppose that were I stranded on an island with wifi and needed to do emergency brain surgery, I could find out how to do it, and which scapels and cranium openers are best.

And now, after looking at hundreds of diagrams and useless photos, useless because they don't show the structural details and I already know what it looks like on the outside, duh, it's coming back to me how the thing goes together out of the box. It's been at least fifteen years since I installed the shower plumbing after we had the b'room remodeled, the tub-shower enclosure tiled.
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 05-26-2022 at 07:44 AM.

What you wrote:
    that google wants me inspite of using duckduckgo;
    And what I read:

that google wants me to use duck tape...

Both good options.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Are we talking about this thing?

if yes, it unscrews (lefty loosy).

Take to home depot and get one that matches the pipe length coming out of the wall. Aka one that is the same where it attaches.

tefllon tape/ replace

Or soak the existing in vinegar and salt for a few days. May hurt the finish. If you care.

A206B1DF-ABB7-47E7-BC6B-C9446E95F324.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    There are little 'chambers' which can be installed on the water line to contain the air bubble and silence the 'hammer' - check with your local plumber or 'big-box' store.

Rick
    This. Somewhere very near your main water inlet there is an expansion tank (a thing that looks like an upside-down propane tank above the pipe). In that tank is a pocket of air (or sometimes a rubber diaphragm) which absorbs the shock of water hammers, and it has failed. just replace the whole thing, easy fix.

If you want to test the theory, there is probably a rubber air fitting (like on a basketball) near the top. Stick an air needle in there, if it hasn't failed you should get only air. If it has failed that air will very quickly turn to water.
    What color are their hands now?