Thread: Boat hits a pole in Florida Keys and ejects 7 people into the water, killing one

Default Boat hits a pole in Florida Keys and ejects 7 people into the water, killing one

I guess this is a good argument for a kill switch tethered to your shirt/PFD.

The crash happened around 4:45 p.m. a few yards off Indian Key Fill in Florida Bay at mile marker 78.5, where concrete Florida Keys Electric Cooperative power line poles dot the shallows off the shoreline.

Nancy Stellway was in a car heading north home to West Palm Beach when she noticed the out-of-control vessel right after she crossed Indian Key Bridge.

“I said, ‘Oh, that boat is doing doughnuts.’ We didn’t see anybody on the boat, and as soon as we noticed that, we pulled over and called 911,” Stellway said.
    Stellway said she saw people on four boats spring into action, pulling people from the water. One person from one of the other boats was able to jump on to the pilotless vessel and shut off the ignition.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boat-hits...155954207.html

Default Re: Boat hits a pole in Florida Keys and ejects 7 people into the water, killing one

Always use mine. Easy piece of mind. Hook it to a D ring on my inflatable PFD.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Default Re: Boat hits a pole in Florida Keys and ejects 7 people into the water, killing one

Yup, kill lanyard clipped to my float coat. It never saved my grits, but I was happy to have it.
    The chest harness snapped into a d-ring did in fact keep me aboard at least twice, so that was always a must-wear item.
    Rough water, cold temps, quickly lethal.

"So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby

Jesus! That video!
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I've started using my kick-switch lanyard on the new boat. Hooked to my belt.
    I never used to wear my PDF when on the boat but with now being older and less able to swim, I've also started to do that.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Thumbs down Re: Boat hits a pole in Florida Keys and ejects 7 people into the water, killing one

This happens every Summer on Lake Erie.
    Mostly at night and mostly intoxicated boaters.
    Not how I want to die.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Scary stuff.
    Neighbor across the street just bought a used powerboat. 25 foot with a 350 Merc inboard. He's never owned a boat. Never even operated a boat. didnt know he needed a license in CT.
    He wanted to show off so I went over to look at it and that's when the questions started; license, insurance etc. He knew nothing about turning on the blower for ten minutes before starting the engine.. Theres two rows of switches on the dash with no labels, maybe a dozen switches. I asked him what they are for "I dont know". No garboard I pointed out. "Huh?" No rear light. "What do you mean?"
    Scares me to think that he's going to drop that thing in the water, pound the throttle to the stops and take off.
    Hope he doesnt make the local news.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Jesus! That video!
    Ya, that's a pretty infamous video. The driver was ultimately charged for his reckless behavior. An occupant who was filming for a cable channel ended up with severe back injury.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

lotta folks just wear the loop around their wrist
    dat na wuk so well

Default Boat hits a pole in Florida Keys and ejects 7 people into the water, killing one

Wearing a kill switch, or engine cutoff switch, is the law now in the US at speeds above 5 knots and operating from an exterior helm.

Newer engines have wireless cutoff switch capability. I use this. You carry a key fob or wear a wristband that, when it gets more than X feet from the helm, kills the engine. X is user programmable by activating the systen and walking your boat from stem to stern.

These have two advantages over a physical lanyard. One, you can idle back and leave the helm without killing the engine. Two, the boat can be restarted once the engine is killed, so your crew can come and get you after you fall overboard.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Breakaway; 05-27-2022 at 12:55 AM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Another video in which the wrong lesson is learned (if at all): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI

"We were out filming Greg in his boat when he hit the wave behind the boat at the wrong angle and too fast out of ignorance about what happens crossing any wake at that speed. Boat speed was around 70 mph. Greg's Life Vest and kill switch SAVED HIS LIFE by sheer luck. He was unconscious for about 10 minutes. As you can see the boat never turned over So what! Greg suffered a broken collarbone More sheer luck. I'm showing this in hopes that a lot of you Bass Boat Drivers have gotten lazy about putting your Vest on and hooking up your kill switch. All of you have hit a surprise wave from out of nowhere at speeds of 70 mph or more. Don't let this happen to you."

The wake 'Greg' crossed was no surprise in any way whatsoever. 'Greg' was simply an idiot.
    Last edited by rbgarr; 05-27-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    "So we beat on, paddleboats against the wake of a neighbor’s jet ski, born back ceaselessly into the past." The Great Lakes Gatsby