Thread: Remember to wash your hands

Default Remember to wash your hands

after working where poison ivy grows. Just sayin.

Default Re: Remember to wash your hands

And, if it’s like poison oak, wash the clothes you were wearing when you got into it, and the towel you used after washing.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Hate that ****. Don’t chainsaw it. Doh

And do not go up into the wooded hills to help the firefighters put out the grass fire that is also burning the poison oak. You do not want to breathe that sh!t

I never had a lung infection by doing that but I only got told about it after doing some helping with such a fire, and I spent a lot of hours, days, home from school wearing poultices and suffering with the blistering lesions on large parts of my body. I'm surprised I don't actually have scars from it. Nasty nasty awful stuff and gets on you like a virus or a bacteria, as in you don't know you got it til it's too late and you're starting to suffer. Best to just play it safe and stay out of the woods and on the couch as God intended. Cortisone shots are magic relief, according my memories of playing in the oak and wild oats covered hills in northern California as a kid. The last time I got some, it was as a thirty-something, on a picnic with a potential bed buddy and we both got a small dose.

it gets huge on my place (not my photo).

FC368FD3-F668-43D3-83E1-3A98A361B0B6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    And, if it’s like poison oak, wash the clothes you were wearing when you got into it, and the towel you used after washing.
    For my body poison ivy is 1/4 as bad as poison oak. By my mid 20’s I could identify p oak from a mile away I got it so bad. Usually in the winter when the leaves were off and just bare vines but I got it the other times. Amazing variety depending on where it grows.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Hate that ****. Don’t chainsaw it. Doh
    Son in law was weed whacking it with inadequate protection yesterday. I could not imagine doing that with p oak.

The last time I tangled with poison oak involved a VW bug in a ditch about midnight and me having to crawl under it to use that foolish VW jack about 10 times. A warm California night, no shirt, no shoes, not far from the beach... Clueless I got unstuck, and home into bed about 2:00 am
    Around 8:00 the next morning the doorbell rang and I got up, opened the door and my friend Jerry looked right at me and asked if I was home!
    So swollen that I was unrecognizable, it was straight to the hospital for iv prednisone...
    And yes I can spot it from a mile away no problem

When we were young kids, I was in fourth grade, my folks moved us from southern to northern California. As soon as we four boys got freedom to go explore the hills that our brand new house backed onto, up we went. We were warned about poison oak. Tom, the oldest, who had been a boy scout, was twelve, maybe, as we were standing near some on the side of the hill under the oak trees, grabbed a handful of the leaves and spread it all over himself and declared confidently, 'see? It's not poison oak. If it was poison oak I'd be all itchy. This isnt' it. We're safe.' And the truth and the reality came to him a bit later in the day. Swolled up, red, and rashy and obviously in serious discomfort. The odd thing is that that might have been like an innoculation for him. Either he was scrupulous about avoiding forever after, or he had developed some immunity and never got another dose. I didn't play in it like that, but I had several bad cases of it over the years of my childhood living at that address. It's easy to spot and as long as you don't need to hurry home through the dark woods at night, or something, it's not hard to avoid it. We kids spent a lot of time in those hills, building tree forts and sliding cardboard down the dry grass, hunting reptiles. Later as we got older, there were suitable trails along the ridgelines and down to the paved streets through neighbor's yards when Tom got a dirt bike and we learned to hill climb and trail ride.

There’s a little island off of Pt Richmond called Red Rock and it’s covered in poson oak but low to the ground about 2’ and dark slightly waxy leaves. Full of sea gulls living in it. No reason at all to get in it. But this damn seagull at the shore had a big lure hooked between his beak and chest. He looked pitiful torqued over to the side and obviously in dificulty. So me and a friend who had paddled over there decided to rescue him and pull it out. We took our pfds off and wrapped him up, did the deed but who knows if he’d survive. Put pfds on and paddled back. Turns out their feathers were rich w p oak.
    Last edited by LeeG; 05-25-2022 at 06:50 PM.

Turns out their feathers were rich w p oak.
    Yeah, the sap is sticky and if it's on something like your pants leg, or shoes, it's invisible and easily transmissable, and it'll get on your skin for sure. Guess how we learned to not use the same towel after washing up following an exposure?

Many years ago when I was a young kid, my father had a friend who proclaimed he was not allergic to poison ivy. Then he grabbed a hand full of the stuff and rubbed it all over his face. The next day he was blown up like a red balloon. Looking back, I think he drank...
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

My daughter and son-in-law just bought a rural property. They asked me about some 'suspicious' plants they had noted there. I told them to Google the plants and verify what they really were, before touching any of it . . .
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Once you’ve had it the suspicion should be totally resolved

When I was a kid we'd dare each other to eat the new green leaves and I may have developed an immunity as a result. I've never had it although I;ve been exposed massively many times. Nowadays, though I still shower, wash the clothes I wore and clean my boots after exposure because while I ​don't seem to get it, others may and I don't want to be the vector that gives it to them.

I think the more you are exposed the more likely you are to become sensitized to it, like epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I think the more you are exposed the more likely you are to become sensitized to it, like epoxy
    That’s exactly the way it happened with me, epoxy as well.

I weed whacked some poison ivy I didnt see that mixed in with the green stuff along the fence. I was wearing shorts and low boots. Wound up with an itchy stripe across both calves....

ELF ©IMG_1926a.jpg

Spring, on Cape Cod.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    after working where poison ivy grows. Just sayin.
    Worst poison ivy thing I ever did was weed-wack in flip-flops !
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I didn’t even attend easter up the hill, and I got poison oak. From the family’s clothes. Someone brushed up against some, then brushed up against me.

I was practically immune, until I wasn’t. Wash in cool water. Do NOT soak in a hot bath.

And use soap asap, Dr Bronner's works

And use soap asap, Dr Bronner's works
    and don’t take a piss in the woods before washing hands.

Tecnu WORKS !!!!! If applied right away

1AE15727-495C-45A3-892B-E5465ECA1347.jpg
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

and don’t take a piss in the woods before washing hands.
    Well, duh

Well, duh
    I forgot.

I forgot.
    Note the thread title...

Leaves of three, let it be. Do we all know it grows as a vine, a bush and a tree?

Two years ago on a day hike, I was talking and walking with a young couple I met on trail.

We came to a spot with a clearing and the lowering sun illuminating a stand of tall foliage with white flowers. The girl grabbed the boys hand and before I could say STINGING NETTLES they ran off into that golden brush.

Ah, youth.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.