Page 1 of 21 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Texas school shooting

Default Another Texas school shooting

As many as 14 dead. It's a small rural community and health care is overwhelmed.

UVALDE, Texas -- As many as 14 people, including several children, were killed in a Texas elementary school shooting Tuesday.

Multiple sources tell ABC News the shooter is also dead.

At least two children are dead and over a dozen injured after an "active shooter" incident at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, according to hospital officials.

A suspect has been taken into custody, police said. The Uvalde Police Department did not immediately provide further information.

Uvalde Memorial Hospital confirmed to ABC News that two children had died from presumed gunshot injuries in the incident.

Additionally, 13 students were being treated in the hospital's emergency department in the wake of the incident, the hospital said. Two patients were transferred to San Antonio for treatment, while a third was pending transfer, the hospital said. A 45-year-old was also hospitalized after getting grazed by a bullet, the hospital said.

University Health in San Antonio said it had two patients from the shooting incident -- a child and an adult. The hospital did not yet have information on their conditions.

Earlier, the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District had said a shooter was located at Robb Elementary School and asked people to stay away from the area.

"There is an active shooter at Robb Elementary," the school district said on Twitter. "Law enforcement is on site. Your cooperation is needed at this time by not visiting the campus. As soon as more information is gathered it will be shared."

A school official initially clarified to ABC News that the shooting took place off campus, and that Robb Elementary School was under lockdown.

The school informed parents shortly after 2 p.m. local time that students had been transported to the Sgt. Willie Deleon Civic Center, the reunification site, and could be picked up.

Uvalde, Texas, is located about 90 minutes west of San Antonio.
    https://abc13.com/uvalde-texas-robb-...down/11889693/
    Last edited by CWSmith; 05-24-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Another Texas school shooting

Is it too early for thoughts and prayers?
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

What a f***ed up country

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    What a f***ed up country
    Not going to disagree with this statement. If only gun loving nut jobs hurt themselves . . .

Since the police took the shooter into custody, is it safe to assume that his skin isn't brown?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

It appears the shooter may be one of the dead.

I'm seeing mixed statements - shooter in custody, shooter dead. I'm not sure which is true.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Is it too early for thoughts and prayers?
    It's never too early. You can bank them for next week's mass shooting.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I'm seeing mixed statements - shooter in custody, shooter dead. I'm not sure which is true.
    Agreed, reporting seems to be all over the place. anywhere from 2 dead to 15.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaboatnic View Post
    Agreed, reporting seems to be all over the place. anywhere from 2 dead to 15.
    Boston news reporting that the governor of Texas is saying 14 kids dead.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Boston news reporting that the governor of Texas is saying 14 kids dead.
    There were 16 kids murdered at Dunblane, with their teacher, as a result
    In response to this public debate, the Conservative government of Prime Minister John Major introduced the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997, which banned all cartridge ammunition handguns with the exception of .22 calibre single-shot weapons in England, Scotland and Wales. Following the 1997 general election, the Labour government of Prime Minister Tony Blair introduced the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, banning the remaining .22 cartridge handguns as well.[22] This left only muzzle-loading and historic handguns legal, as well as certain sporting handguns (e.g. "Long-Arms") that fall outside the Home Office definition of a "handgun" because of their dimensions.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I repeat:

Zero guns = zero gun deaths. Do the math.

Unless there is a concerted effort to re-educate the acolytes of The Temple Of The Gun, NOTHING will ever change in this accursed country.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Every Republican is an obstacle to progress.

The 2nd wasn't intended as a suicide pact. Time for change is long overdue.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Our News says, Salvador Romas, 18, now dead shot by 'responding officers. 14 students, 1 teacher dead.

I await the usual exusers.

Every supporter of the present US situation re firearms has more blood on their hands.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 05-24-2022 at 04:23 PM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I wonder how many kids were saved during lockdown and zoom school.

We should assign file numbers to these mass shootings. Unless one keeps up with an outlet like MSN it is difficult to tell one sad story from another. Sure, the reporting tells location, but they're all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    I wonder how many kids were saved during lockdown and zoom school.
    Mass shooting vs. at home abuse tradeoff?

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

What kind of sicko parents would send their kids to elementary school without the benefit of full body armour and defensive weapons? There should be a law.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

I'm sure I will get flamed for this. I wish media would show some restraint when these tragedies happen. Report it yes. Hours of continuous coverage? No. If someone considering killing themselves decides they want to "go out in a blaze of glory" knows if they shoot up a school they will get just what they want.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

If you have not visited your local high school in the past years (10 years?), you should. Entrances are like police stations with double doors that can be locked from inside the office and office windows where you enter that are bullet proof. I don't know what this Texas school had, but locally they really make you stop and think.

I was having a really good day up to this point.
    I cry for those kids and those families.
    I cry for our country.
    I cry because I know nothing will change.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Damn I just got up from a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    It's never too early. You can bank them for next week's mass shooting.
    Uk. Population ~65 million. Mass shootings?

Two (from memory) in 25 years.

You guys have it bad.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    I'm sure I will get flamed for this. I wish media would show some restraint when these tragedies happen. Report it yes. Hours of continuous coverage? No. If someone considering killing themselves decides they want to "go out in a blaze of glory" knows if they shoot up a school they will get just what they want.
    this don't work so well for white shooters

I don't even have any sarcasm left.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    this don't work so well for white shooters
    What the Hell does race have to do with it?
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I repeat:

Zero guns = zero gun deaths. Do the math.

Unless there is a concerted effort to re-educate the acolytes of The Temple Of The Gun, NOTHING will ever change in this accursed country.
    Yes, that's simple math. How do you propose to get to zero guns?

I can't even get much support to a tax on ammo to help pay medical/funeral expenses for gunshot victims.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

The NRA has been notably silent of late. Maybe LePieu doesn't have to say anything at this point.

Thoughts and prayers indeed. It seems to me the carnage will get much worse before citizens decide this has gone on long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    The 2nd wasn't intended as a suicide pact. Time for change is long overdue.
    The 2nd was a response to the need of a well regulated militia to be armed and trained BY THE GOVERNMENT, and called up to enforce laws, repel invasions, and suppress uprisings.

We have misconstrued it at great cost.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

but, but whaddabout "Guns Save Lives"?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Adams View Post
    I agree. Report it as a story. Update it from time to time, but not wall to wall

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    The NRA has been notably silent of late. Maybe LePieu doesn't have to say anything at this point.

Thoughts and prayers indeed. It seems to me the carnage will get much worse before citizens decide this has gone on long enough.
    Sorry I repeat, but all this violence is done with guns already sold. If NO new guns were sold tomorrow, what changes?

Biden speaks at 8:15PM EDT. Iím hoping against hope that he calls out every senator, congressman, and governor who refuses to support common sense gun controlÖ but itís thin hope indeed
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    The 2nd was a response to the need of a well regulated militia to be armed and trained BY THE GOVERNMENT, and called up to enforce laws, repel invasions, and suppress uprisings.

We have misconstrued it at great cost.
    I demand it the well-regulated part. Now.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

We would have laws changed in a heartbeat if the children of lawmakers happened to be amount the dead.
    Witness the Brady Bill, although largely toothless it was too little, too late

"Prosecution and conviction of violators of the Brady Act, however, is extremely rare. During the first 17 months of the Act, only seven individuals were convicted. In the first year of the Act, 250 cases were referred for prosecution and 217 of them were rejected"
    wiki