Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flinging stuff at the wall

Default Flinging stuff at the wall

To see what sticks.

There are several BilgeRats who make this a regular habit here. Stumble across some sparkly notion... add zero research, zero verification, and zero cogitation... then post it here to see what the response is.

And sometimes y'all even get huffy if your bangle du jour is poorly received.

And sometimes, y'all actively resist any efforts to critique the notion or correct the misapprehensions.

I, at least, would appreciate it if you didn't.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Flinging stuff at the wall

Getting your opinion is the only researched needed. Would you rather a pm?

Ah, why don't you go out in a boat like your twin Thorne did last weekend. Much more rewarding than hanging with this bunch of reprobates.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    To see what sticks.

There are several BilgeRats who make this a regular habit here. Stumble across some sparkly notion... add zero research, zero verification, and zero cogitation... then post it here to see what the response is.

And sometimes, y'all actively resist any efforts to critique the notion or correct the misapprehensions.

project much?

EC96293B-B530-4A1E-969F-11B06DF5D19E.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I missed the Hall Monitor vote.

Some stuff, not flung so much as stepped in. How ahronical…
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Sometimes it more of an fu to the whole world. Fueled by coffee, despair, and self loathing.

I knew the OP would be provocative. And I expected that many would react rather than consider. So please do feel free to jerk those knees as much as you think is necessary and useful. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Splat.

Step.

Squish. Squish.

Sniff.

Step squish squish.

Sniff?

And I expected that many would react rather than consider.
    I thought Paul gave it considerable consideration and research.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I knew the OP would be provocative. And I expected that many would react rather than consider. So please do feel free to jerk those knees as much as you think is necessary and useful. <G>
    Its a mystery to me why more people dont listen to you, , why , you are like the bilge guru, dispensing wisdom.

As for me, i take the admonishment you dish out knowing i can learn more better..

Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I thought Paul gave it considerable consideration and research.
    Mmmmm... I have to point out there's a difference between consideration and kneejerk: effort, passion, frustration, anger, animus, reactivity, etc. But, carry on. Maybe I'll circle back later and see how things shape up.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G;[URL="tel:6665813"
    6665813[/URL]]Mmmmm... I have to point out there's a difference between consideration and kneejerk: effort, passion, frustration, anger, animus, reactivity, etc. But, carry on. Maybe I'll circle back later and see how things shape up.
    Anything less is just time-wasting self-abuse. DG

Mmmmm... I have to point out there's a difference between ____________ and ___________
    Fill in the blanks with any two words and David will be right there to straighten out your thinking. What a tremendous service he provides.

Guilty…………… but sometimes it's fun to run up a flag and see who salutes…………….

Cool Re: Flinging stuff at the wall

I know you're just tryin to help.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Ah, why don't you go out in a boat like your twin Thorne did last weekend. Much more rewarding than hanging with this bunch of reprobates.

I wish I could. Until I get this stupid hernia fixed, I am not going anywhere.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    I know you're just tryin to help.

<snort>

More like trying to bump the dog off to the side when you see him developing the habit of pooping on the front walkway. The dog sometimes resents the correction.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

... add zero research, zero verification, and zero cogitation... then post it here to see what the response is.
    I do not see anything wrong with that at all.

Do we have to be on guard all the time?
    When i go to work, i am my 'best self', friendly, even, professional(ish).
    At home I'm dad and dog feeder, laundryman, fixer of things and general carry all and supporter of kids and partner.
    On the boat i'm the only one with any idea wtf is happening - responsible.
    On the forum, sometimes, i just say sh#t.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Funny, sometimes, how people see themselves. And others of course.

To see what sticks.

Ikr! Just think how much time we could save, not having to read all that dreck or attempting to correct all the wrong headedness if it was never posted in the first place. On the other hand, the number of opportunities to be a better person and exercise some self control would plummet .

Pete
    I have no trolls on ignore !

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Ikr! Just think how much time we could save, not having to read all that dreck or attempting to correct all the wrong headedness if it was never posted in the first place. On the other hand, the number of opportunities to be a better person and exercise some self control would plummet .

Pete
    Perhaps we need a standard form of boilerplate to be posted on such threads. Long the lines of:

Your post is poorly researched; factually incorrect; wrong-headed; prejudiced; classic Dunning Kruger. (delete what is not appropriate) As such, it is a waste of bandwidth to respond any further.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I don't know this for sure, I feel like splatting this anyway. Way after this thread got started I was out on the internet looking at the other sites I regularly check for news of the day and etc. (what?! other sites?!) when I noticed a short article on either the BBC or NPR (which I don't ever listen to, but which I read every day) and spotted an article that was exactly what a thread by Art Haberlam posted, about the notion of eliminating air travel and considering what effect that might have on the world in some specific areas of consideration, like climate change and attitudes among the indigineous artichoke. Then, when I came back here I thought I'd look into Art's thread to see what if any other views had been posted to it. And I remember reading the general, and specific, scorn to which Art's thread and the notion were treated. And it was gone. And so I supposed that all the gentle pushback was possibly a reason I couldn't find the thread. And this one then came again to mind.

Of course I didn't bother reading the whole other article because after seeing all the good reasons why a general hiatus of air travel would never ever not ever be a decent idea and would never not ever not never work and wasn't worth the pixels and electrons to debate or even consider...

And the damn shooting and that whole highly energetic and dismal and discouraging **** got rehashed yet again. And I despair for Art and his digital self esteem.

And if Dr Gee's pompous inanity was any cause of Art's thread's disappearance, someone owes someone something and that's all I have to say about that, and I hope this sticks and slides down the wall and out into the hallway where the cool kids can smell it and of course I hope no one steps in anything.

Now think about the very common expressions used to indicate a formal consideration of stuff with import and the need for new ideas such that you hear folks utter the expressions 'brainstorming' and 'spitballing,' and came across this:

Ideation Methods: Brainstorming, Braindumping, Brainwriting, and Brainwalking

Alex Osborn was an advertising executive who created the technique we know today as brainstorming. He invented the technique as a response to the stifling environment of executive meetings and with the goal of freeing up creative thinking in order to facilitate ideas to flow more easily. Alex Osborn presented the brainstorming technique in his book, How To Think Up. Alex Osborn authored several books on group creative thinking, including Your Creative Power, How to Organize a Squad to Create Ideas and Applied Imagination, and he was a pioneer in the field, laying the ground for what we call ideation today.

And therein lies the value of extemporaneous ad hoc group cogitational exercises that might begin with someone 'flinging poo,' in our Bilge.

Stiflers need not apply.
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 05-25-2022 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post

And therein lies the value of extemporaneous ad hoc group cogitational exercises that might begin with someone 'flinging poo,' in our Bilge.

Stiflers need not apply.
    Suggesting a crackpot idea that cannot possibly work in a brainstorming session just wastes everybody's time.
    I am reminded of this:
    The Plan
    In the beginning, there was a plan,
    And then came the assumptions,
    And the assumptions were without form,
    And the plan without substance,
    And the darkness was upon the face of the workers,
    And they spoke among themselves saying,
    "It is a crock of **** and it stinks."
    And the workers went unto their Supervisors and said,
    "It is a pile of dung, and we cannot live with the smell."
    And the Supervisors went unto their Managers saying,
    "It is a container of excrement, and it is very strong,
    Such that none may abide by it."
    And the Managers went unto their Directors saying,
    "It is a vessel of fertilizer, and none may abide by its strength."
    And the Directors spoke among themselves saying to one another,
    "It contains that which aids plants growth, and it is very strong."
    And the Directors went to the Vice Presidents saying unto them,
    "It promotes growth, and it is very powerful."
    And the Vice Presidents went to the President, saying unto him,
    "This new plan will actively promote the growth and vigor
    Of the company With very powerful effects."
    And the President looked upon the Plan
    And saw that it was good,
    And the Plan became Policy.
    And this, my friend, is how **** happens.

Flinging stuff at the wall?

I thought this thread was about my college house mate testing to see if the spaghetti was cooked..........
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Suggesting a crackpot idea that cannot possibly work in a brainstorming session just wastes everybody's time.
    That would be valid where the participants were paid for their input and everyone had a common goal, like more sales or retaking the homeland.

We're here for all kinds of mutual benefit, and who's time is being wasted? How many of us attend with the prevailing attitude of getting in, getting all that's good and then getting out efficiently? To whom are we reporting and appealing for judgement?

Not to say I don't agree, to the extent that we should discourage the regular drive-by trolls. There are so few of those that we could name names if anyone had any further need for clarity as to who owns that distinction. And they know who they are, cough, bobbys, cough. Although it might be construed as bad manners, rude even, to mention such members by name, and even though such trolling in itself is arguably rude, and a waste of time and bandwidth, it isn't worth the possibility of being, in turn, banneded and or souring or chilling any further effort at, I dunno, social and intellectual intercourse among a wide diverstiy of member species.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    That would be valid where the participants were paid for their input and everyone had a common goal, like more sales or retaking the homeland.

We're here for all kinds of mutual benefit, and who's time is being wasted? How many of us attend with the prevailing attitude of getting in, getting all that's good and then getting out efficiently? To whom are we reporting and appealing for judgement?

Not to say I don't agree, to the extent that we should discourage the regular drive-by trolls. There are so few of those that we could name names if anyone had any further need for clarity as to who owns that distinction. And they know who they are, cough, bobbys, cough. Although it might be construed as bad manners, rude even, to mention such members by name, and even though such trolling in itself is arguably rude, and a waste of time and bandwidth, it isn't worth the possibility of being, in turn, banneded and or souring or chilling any further effort at, I dunno, social and intellectual intercourse among a wide diverstiy of member species.
    Well, some cannot resist picking a scab, or beating the piñata boy.

I am not convinced that the roofer was the only one in the OP's mind.

it would be sad if you missed out on any chance to be supercilious, david.

whoever you are talking about is doing a favor, giving you a reason to go on living.

We need a misinformation czar. With the authority to delete posts they believe are not “correct.” That’l fix the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    supercilious
    is that another word for arrogant?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    project much?
    Perhaps, withe the current interest in China, it could be public self-criticism
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    is that another word for arrogant?
    waste of time for me to answer. let's wait for definitive word.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Perhaps, withe the current interest in China, it could be public self-criticism
    Shie shie, our beloved leader Chairman Mao. Onward through the fog.

I have to admit to feeling some remorse for ganging up on a long-time fellow WBF Bilge denizen. We all have some idiotsyncronies and deserve some forbearance. It's not getting too deep in here?

I expect the cost of flying to go up soon, way up what with diesel fuel being $8.00 gallon it would round up to $300k per 10 hour flight...