Thread: Recommendations for primer and paint for new jon boat

Default Recommendations for primer and paint for new jon boat

Am in the process of building my wooden 12 foot jon boat. Would appreciate recommendations for primer and paint to use.

Outside of the hull will be epoxied 6oz fiberglass cloth, applied with PeelPly.
    Inside will be fir frames and marine plywood.

I want to use single part primer and single part paint for both.

Thanks.

Default Re: Recommendations for primer and paint for new jon boat

I never prime epoxy/fiberglass. Epoxy resin when sanded nice and smooth is a better primer than just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I never prime epoxy/fiberglass. Epoxy resin when sanded nice and smooth is a better primer than just about anything.
    Thanks for that Todd. Will save having to buy primer for the outside and one step less work.
    Would the texture left by the PeelPly be smooth enough for direct painting?

Now I need to find primer to use on the bare wood on the inside.
    As far as paint, maybe Rustoleum topside paint might be OK for both the outside and inside. Cheap enough and available at the local big box stores.
    Need to find a primer for the inside that dries as hard as the paint.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DayTripper; 05-19-2022 at 06:09 PM.

The last time I used peel ply on anything it left a very fine woven texture on the surface. I have never attempted to paint over it, but I suspect the pattern might telegraph to some extent through some paints. I'd like to see more "tooth" on the epoxy surface for a good paint bond, whether primed or not, so I would sand it. On something like a jon boat you should be able to sand the whole exterior with something like 100-120 grit on a random orbit or orbital sander in an hour or so, leaving a clean, smooth surface that paint will like. In the long run, it will be a well spent hour. Give the resin 7-10 days to cure before sanding and change the sandpaper any time it plugs up and starts to lose effectiveness. Dull plugged-up sandpaper creates a lot more heat than clean paper and can actually smear epoxy resin, rather than sand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    The last time I used peel ply on anything it left a very fine woven texture on the surface. I have never attempted to paint over it, but I suspect the pattern might telegraph to some extent through some paints. I'd like to see more "tooth" on the epoxy surface for a good paint bond, whether primed or not, so I would sand it. On something like a jon boat you should be able to sand the whole exterior with something like 100-120 grit on a random orbit or orbital sander in an hour or so, leaving a clean, smooth surface that paint will like. In the long run, it will be a well spent hour. Give the resin 7-10 days to cure before sanding and change the sandpaper any time it plugs up and starts to lose effectiveness. Dull plugged-up sandpaper creates a lot more heat than clean paper and can actually smear epoxy resin, rather than sand it.
    Thanks again for the tips.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Why ask for recommendations for paint if you say yer using one part paints?
    Epoxy is not one part...you did not need that.
    Sanding epoxy to a fine degree to eliminate primer DOES save buying the primer, but is not less work. Is your sanding game up to speed ?