Thread: Stopper eye splice.

Default Stopper eye splice.

Does any one have a link to instructions on how the make an eye splice with a built in stopper knot? I have heard them called wall and crown splice or a man rope splice.

Default Re: Stopper eye splice.

Maybe like this one in 3-strand? YouTube link: Double Wall and Crown Knot Finishing an Eye Splice

Interesting splice, never seen it before. What's the application?

Thank you, that is the one, though I did not do more tucks after the know (still trying to remember how I finished it) the version in the video is just decorative, but without the extra tucks they are useful in spots where the splice would get pulled right up to a block. Tacks on a small square rigger is where I used them in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Burt View Post
    Thank you, that is the one, though I did not do more tucks after the know (still trying to remember how I finished it) the version in the video is just decorative, but without the extra tucks they are useful in spots where the splice would get pulled right up to a block. Tacks on a small square rigger is where I used them in the past.
    Colin, did you see the other video on that channel: Single Wall and Crown Knot Finishing a Back Splice? As he mentions, the same can be done with an eye splice -- putting the stopper at the end of the back braiding further down the line, rather than near the throat of the eye. Finished with a whipping.

I like to use a standing turkshead to stop a splice from being forced into a sheeve as a tackle goes chockablock . This is completly seperate from the structure of the splice and is sacrificial .Also it can be made of hard braid that is more abrasion resistant than the fall of the tackle . My turkshead is made out of Robline and seems pretty indistructable . In breif :for 3 strand rope a 3 legged piece of robline is made by half hitching one piece of line to the middle of another .This set up is worked into the middle of the 3 strand rope with a leg comeing out from between each pair of strands . Then tie the turkshead .Mine has three leads and is tripled. It's been hauled up hard to a sheeve in a tackle many times and still looks good .I 'm useing double braid nylon for the tackle so I sent 2 lengths of Robline through the rope at right angles ,creating 4 legs for the tie ,which is bombproof. Ashley shows all this .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 06-14-2022 at 09:27 PM.