Thread: Small trimaran mooring

Smile Small trimaran mooring

Hello
    For some reason I associate this forum with traditional wooden boats, but I guess my ply epoxy trimaran qualifies. I am having a 17 ft. W17 trimaran; ready in about 1-2 months´time.

I am using a permanent anchor with buoy, and then mooring point at the jetty; photos of the location in Stavanger, Norway here:
    https://www.hillevagbatforening.no/om-oss/bilderIt can be quite windy; north-west in the summer out from the marina, and south-east in the summer towards the marina. Use of the marina from Nov til Mar is not recommended.

Depth, with muddy sea bed, is approx. 4-7 m at anchoring point; I have one anchor ring of 40 kg (often used instead of a heavy deadweight concrete anchors, as they dig themselves down into the seabed. I plan to lay down one more of these anchor rings (75 kg) and attach both to the same buoy. Dockside, I have two points about 2-3 m apart for mooring ; I plan to fasten the boat stern to land.

• bow bridle: Would it make sense with bridle from near hinge on beams rather than from amas?
    • is stern bridle also useful? If yes, from near hinge on beams or from amas?
    • I do not have space to moor the boat completely unfolded; is mooring my W17 semi-folded rather than fully folded a good idea for added safety?
    • should daggerboard be up or down during mooring?

I shall be testing out the mooring arrangement for this lightweight (200 kg) W17 this season; next season I plan to moor a 23 ft. Libertist 703 folding tri weighing 1000 kg with similar arrangement.

Is this a good arrangement?

1652867943372.jpg

Default Re: Small trimaran mooring

Local people are better authorities on what works in your area.
    Ask W17 designer and owners whether there’s adequate stability when amas are folded.
    I’d have more trust in mooring attachment points inboard of the aka hinges.
    Cross the stern lines. It’ll generate less load on the anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    Local people are better authorities on what works in your area.
    Ask W17 designer and owners whether there’s adequate stability when amas are folded.
    I’d have more trust in mooring attachment points inboard of the aka hinges.
    Cross the stern lines. It’ll generate less load on the anchor.
    Good point; I know what works for a monohull sailboat (I own a Vivier Jewell), but not for a trimaran - and there are actually not many local people owning trimarans in my area; hence my post on this forum.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

ya, cross the lines...make "X"ez .
    we dunno how strong the outies are , i might not fasten to them at all.

Small boat, small rig. You should be able to strike or set the rig in a minute or two so take the rig down and your concern will only be waves. Also, set the mooring lines from the center hull, not the amas.
    G'luck

By all means, check with the designer. Folded tris much bigger than yours have been blown over by beam winds, even with the sails down. I'd be very concerned about leaving it like that unattended. I presume other boats are to be moored on either side? They won't be happy if your boat topples over onto them.
    -Dave

Our 20' Farrier tri used to tend to wander back and forth when moored. We ended up using a pretty short line (maybe four feet or so) wrapped around one of those rubber snubbers between the main hull's bow and the buoy. A second line was tied off to one of the beams as a safety but was not under tension. Personally, giving one that much line up front and then trying to tie the stern to the shore, preventing it from being able to weathervane as needed sounds like a mistake to me.

eagle-tri.jpg

I'd put your question to Mike Waters. He designed the W17, likes questions.

Last item on that linked W17 page may hold some interest for you.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 05-19-2022 at 07:03 AM.
    “Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”

Marcus Aurelius, The Meditations

I am in regular contact with Mike Waters, also about this. He gives excellent support for the build, and all matters related to trimarans. Here is my possibly final solution. The bridle goes into a block on the shackle attaching the rode to the buoy, and then under the boat to shore, so that the boat can be pulled away from the jetty after fastening stern mooring and going ashore. In the past I used rope that floats, but this tends to get tangled into rudders, daggerboard, propellers etc., so I shall use a rope that sinks, with a small buoy attached so that I can retrieve it.

tri mooring.jpg